• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terpsiphone unirufa ramosi Manuel, 1957 & Chrysocolaptes lucidus ramosi Gilliard, 1949 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Terpsiphone unirufa ramosi Manuel, 1957 OD here
This is named for Mr. Jacinto Ramos of the National Museum in Manila who has shown keen interest and promise in collecting natural history specimens.
Chrysocolaptes lucidus ramosi Gilliard, 1949 here
This new crimson-backed woodpecker is named in honor of my friend and mentor, Dr. Norberto de Ramos, who with his charming wife, Aurora, did so much to make our Bataan Expedition a success.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims
Rufous Paradise-flycatcher ssp. Terpsiphone unirufa ramosi Manuel, 1957 NCR [JS Terpsiphone cinnamomea unirufa]
Dr N. V. de Ramos (DNF) was a Filipino biologist.

The Key to Scientific Names
Dr N. V. de Ramos (fl. 1949) Filipino biologist (syn. Chryosocolaptes lucidus haematribon, syn. Terpsiphone cinnamomea unirufa).

So we are talking about two different guys. If there is a middle name with V. for Dr. Norberto de Ramos I have no clue. For both the life dates might explored here.

Norberto V . de Ramos [ 1902 - 1987 ] served the University of Santo Tomas , in Manila , Philippines) , Licentiate ( Master ) in Civil Law , and held a doctorate in Civil Law ( D . C . L . ) , and was a professor in the College of Law. His role in the honouring was as a friend and host.

I believe Jacinto maybe the father of Tomas R. Ramos who was publishing in BBOC in the 1990s.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back