• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley (1 Viewer)

BodyResults

Just got back from a trip to the Lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas. Spent 3 days birding there.

Had over 120 species with 42 life birds which was great. Got to see the first state record of a Smooth-billed Ani which was cool.

I put together a video slide show a number of birds:

This google custom map has the places I visited in order. If you view them on a PC you can see a link to each ebird checklist of the birds seen at each stop.
Lower Rio Grande – Google My Maps

Doug

Last edited:
I’ve been there three times and would go back again and again. November can be a particularly good month, I’ve heard. Missed the Raven also but a unique location to visit. Too bad you missed the Social Fly. Our nemesis bird there is the Tropical Parula. Where did you stay?

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

We were flying in and out of Houston so we stayed 1 night a Corpus Christi, then 2 nights in McAllen and then one night back in Corpus Christi on the way back to the airport.

You did well for such a quick trip. For me, LRGV visits are addictive. I’d go every year if there weren’t so many other locations to consider.

You did well for such a quick trip. For me, LRGV visits are addictive. I’d go every year if there weren’t so many other locations to consider.
Thanks. If I took this trip 20 years ago there is no way I could see nearly as many birds. With ebird research ahead of time, real time alerts, bird guides and sounds on my phone and GPS to allow me to easily get from place to place it makes things much easier now.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back