• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (2 Viewers)

Does that mean me!?!? :eek!: :h?:

Anyway, can I get a clarification on a matter. If you are a professional photographer and images are your sole means of income does tht mean you can claim the VAT back on cameras and lenses being tools of the trade?

If you are VAT registered and use the camera and or lenses for your business activity you can indeed reclaim the VAT.

seriously! what about the improved AF system (I'm happy with the 50D AF), better weather sealing (I use a neoprene cover), faster frame fate (nice but 50D is no slouch), better viewfinder (Artificial horizon? I can mount a spirit level on the 50D hotshoe), inbuilt wireless speedlite transmitter (don't use flash other than MR14), HD video (yes I do think it's a plus) (24P is little use in the UK) and apparently (though I've not seen the evidence yet) improved noise at high ISOs and a wider dynamic range (nice but the 50D is good enough for most users....

.....No, I wont be tempted.

.....No, I wont be tempted.

I wasn't saying that the improvements should tempt you to purchase but there is no doubting that there are a lot of improvements there. The HD video can be set to shoot at 1080p at 24fps or 25fps or 30fps but it can also be set at 780p at 60fps, I can see plenty of uses for that.

The viewfinder is apparently offering a 100% view a set up from the 95% of previous models, I like the level too. Sure you can fit one on the hotshoe but then you can't see it while composing a shot.

Personally I'm seeing lots of features that sound good (hoping they all work as well as they should) and I'd like to try the camera.

I feel fairly certain that you poo pooed Terrys suggestion that there would be new cameras out before Xmas ? But I will check.

...The HD video can be set to shoot at 1080p at 24fps or 25fps or 30fps.

In that case I can justify buying one to use as a HD video camera, as long as they've solved the aliasing problem found in the 5D. The Guild of Television Cameramen did a thorough test of the 5DII last month and it seems to be a flawed gem.

I had a feeling it was something to do with that. I've checked to see what my exact words were and in a sense yes I was wrong because I said we wouldn't see a 60D/7D before the end of the year. But I was also right too because at the time we were talking about a 50D upgrade (and not being sure what it would be called) which this camera isn't.
So if Terry is happy to forgive and forget I know I am. :t: We'll just all fantasise about what this camera will be like in the field instead!

You know I've just realised, where the hell did you even hear the name 7D all that long ago Terry!?
No-one could have predicted a model named 7D unless they're spying on Canon or something. Not that I'm saying you are ;) :-O

Last edited:
The Japanese online shopping sites have it listed as available October 9th at ¥169000 including sales tax for body only (that's about 1050-1100 GBP ). That's a pretty good price and I don't mind paying it. The kit with the new 15-85 lens adds a whopping ¥60-70000 (!) to the price.

I'll wait until the end of October when hopefully the price with that interesting looking kit lens comes down. If not I'll pull the trigger on the body only......

It does seem a tad pricey in the UK. Sales tax/VAT in Japan is only 5% (and the locals are complaining it may be raised to 6% soon). I get homesick for the UK sometimes but I don't miss the prices.

Last edited:
It seems that Americans often get things cheaper, at least it included cars. An Australian I worked with once used to complain about a certain car made in Australia sold in the US rebranded as something else and lots cheaper than in Oz even with the transportation added.

Niels

Anyway, can I get a clarification on a matter. If you are a professional photographer and images are your sole means of income does tht mean you can claim the VAT back on cameras and lenses being tools of the trade?

Yes but :
1. You would have to register for VAT. After that you suffer from constant bureaucracy.

2. You have to _charge_ VAT on all your sales, making you 15% (soon to be 17.5%) dearer than un-registered competitors. Remember - all that VAT goes back to HMRC, not in your pocket.

VAT registration is compulsory if your turnover is over a threshold, 68k.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/when-to-register.htm

Most operations with lower turnover are better off not registering. That means they cannot reclaim the VAT on what they buy, but don't have to charge it. If selling only to VAT registered customers (who can reclaim the VAT you charge), it may be different, but you'd need to be sure ! De-registration is not easy.

Mike.

If you are VAT registered and use the camera and or lenses for your business activity you can indeed reclaim the VAT.

You can also claim back a % of tax on equipment expenditure too!

As well as all the other materials associated.

I think that it would have been great of Canon to put a RRP on a Camera for a change, say £1500 for argument. This 'old fashion' way of purchase would then mean that consumers have a fairer choice on the high street or Internet. With the possibility of increased sales for Canon.

If WHE (for example) then choose to discount, they take the hit.

Before people get carried away with referance to UK Camera prices it is worth looking at the facts.
As I explained earlier on for new cameras the UK charge a lot more for the early adopters (for those who are silly enough to pay these premium prices) but after release the prices tend settle down. For Cameras there is not really a lot in it one way or the other but people love knocking our country - it seems to be a English Disease!
Here are some current examples of prices in the UK as compared with B & H.

50D BODY
B & H is $1119.85 + Tax of, say, 7% (I think it varies) = $1198
at an exchange rate of 1.61 $=£ this is £744
Best UK price £730 (according to Camera price busters)

ID mk III
B & H inc tax = £2459
Best UK = £2599

5 D II
B & H inc tax = £1774
Best Uk = £1790

Last edited:
Before people get carried away with referance to UK Camera prices it is worth looking at the facts.

See Roy, you're doing it again - using facts! How are people supposed to believe what they read in The Daily Mule if others keep exposing them to nasty facts? Next thing, you'll be showing this analysis from the BBC and their heads will explode.

See Roy, you're doing it again - using facts! How are people supposed to believe what they read in The Daily Mule if others keep exposing them to nasty facts? Next thing, you'll be showing this analysis from the BBC and their heads will explode.
:-O:-O:-O LOL, Sorry about that Frank. I seem to remember having to resort to similar facts over on POTN when the 5D mkII was announced and the UK boo boys got to work. I am sure it was you who scolded me then for throwing in nasty facts, I promise I will not do it again.

BTW you can see why some Foreign Media guys are getting upset with the BBC, especially when they produce charts like that ;)

Lets all take a step back, yes I read the Daily Mail, no I don't need any apologies from anyone, I am thick skinned, yes and probably a little thick as well, slow to learn, old codger, but I could mention alot of problems with our Little old country that make me fume, but there is still alot of very good things here, hence why so many people want to come here ;)

Now back to the 7d, I think its very good spec camera, if they still make a 60d what are they going to put on that, surly it will be very close spec to the 7d, I am right ? I think, 50d 7d they have the same battery's, same memory, same 1.6 sensor, same 3" screen, same 920,000 pix, and more

Last edited:

5 D II
B & H inc tax = £1774
Best Uk = £1790

The £1790 for the 5D2 is from a trader on Amazon marketplace with just 11 feedbacks, and the item itself is an unwanted gift that was bought in July. If I'm reading the feedback correctly none of it was left in the last 12 months.

According to CameraPriceBuster, the next best price is £1899, from Martin's Camera Shop, but only if you pay by cash or bank transfer. Their "real" price is £2110.

The lowest bona fide, no strings price, as listed by CPB, appears to be £1925 from Amazon.

Facts are all well and good but how about presenting some pertinent ones?

FACT : Digital Rev can supply a 7D, taxes paid, for £1465 including delivery. Why can't UK suppliers manage that?

Attachments

• MWSnap 2009-09-02, 12_04_00.jpg
    MWSnap 2009-09-02, 12_04_00.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The £1790 for the 5D2 is from a trader on Amazon marketplace with just 11 feedbacks, and the item itself is an unwanted gift that was bought in July. If I'm reading the feedback correctly none of it was left in the last 12 months.

The next best price is £1899, but only if you pay by cash or bank transfer. Their "real" price is £2110.

The lowest bona fide, no strings price appears to be £1925 from Amazon.

Facts are all well and good but how about presenting some pertinent ones?

FACT : Digital Rev can supply a 7D, taxes paid, for £1465 including delivery. Why can't UK suppliers manage that?

warehouse express have the 5d MKII at £1899 including Canon 10EG camera bag.

warehouse express have the 5d MKII at £1899 including Canon 10EG camera bag.
Well spotted. I was relying on Roy's reference to CameraPriceBuster as my source, which does have the wrong price listed for Warehouse Express. I guess that shows you can't be too thorough when checking out prices. CPB is good but not the be all and end all. More 5D2 prices here - http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/1169959/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-body.html

If you shop at Warehouse Express you might appreciate the cash back on offer from TopCashBack <= referral link. Non-referral link => http://www.topcashback.co.uk/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back