• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

Eh? Why are they out in the UK but not Japan yet?!?!

I'd been hoping I would be one of the first to get one I could you make you all green with envy for a few days as I assumed they'd be released here first.

Damn..............

Last edited:
I will almost certainly get one, I'll wait until january - the price may drop a tad by then but more importantly we'll know if it does what it says on the tin.
Mike.

I had a look at a 7d this afternoon, I am only looking at it against a 50d, it feels the same as a 50d in the hand, same memory card, different battery, and will be a different battery grip which i like on my 50d, the group of focus points in the centre are 9 in a small space which seem will be good for small birds in flight, in my case for large ones as well,;) all the buttons are in a different place than a 50d, learning them should only take a few trips out, the video does seem to eat memory, so if you like video make sure you buy a very large memory card, will I buy one ? as I have said before I will wait till the 60d comes out and look at that, price and functions will be the thing, but the price on the body only at £1700 is to much for me.

EDIT they are a £1080 body only from Hong Kong delivered fedEx/DHL 3-5 days tempting :eek!:

Last edited:
EDIT they are a £1080 body only from Hong Kong delivered fedEx/DHL 3-5 days tempting :eek!:

Fed/Ex and DHL both collect import duties on behalf of the taxman. You are billed 17.5% ( or has it been reduced to 15% too ?) not only on the price of the article but the carriage as well. Still looks cheaper though, provided it's a trustworthy site !

Fed/Ex and DHL both collect import duties on behalf of the taxman. You are billed 17.5% ( or has it been reduced to 15% too ?) not only on the price of the article but the carriage as well. Still looks cheaper though, provided it's a trustworthy site !
Don't you have to pay Vat + import duty?

Last edited:
Don't you have to par Vat + import duty?

You are right Roy. Last year I bought a Wimberley direct from the manufacturer in the USA.The exchange rate was about 30 cents to the pound to the better then !
Cost was as follows

Cost including plate and delivery $728.94 = approx £370.
Import VAT £66, Duty £13.50, brokerage £11. Total ==£91
£461 approx in total.
Saving about £100 by ordering direct compared to buying in this country.

I am not sure what percentage the duty is or if the brokerage is a fixed cost or rising scale.

I am not sure what percentage the duty is or if the brokerage is a fixed cost or rising scale.

Duty varies according to the product. Not sure exactly what it is for cameras - but I do know that video cameras attract a higher rate of duty that still cameras. Hope HMC&E don't label the 7D as a video camera.

Well I placed an order for one at my local electronics store for the princely sum of ¥169000 (about 1100 GBP).

Still can't wrap my head around the fact folks in the UK already have it whereas the store here in Japan just said it'll arrive some time in early October............

Can't wait to get it, now I have to think about spare batteries, a UDMA CF card and the suchlike.

Well, I've obviously got more money than sense. We went out for lunch today and drove past Park Cameras on the way home. 15 minutes later and I'm walking out with my new 7D.

Battery is on charge, photos to post tomorrow - I hope.

Well, I've obviously got more money than sense. We went out for lunch today and drove past Park Cameras on the way home. 15 minutes later and I'm walking out with my new 7D.

After seeing Simon Harrison's work on POTN (as you did) I'm a convert!! Had been looking at a used 1D II at half the price, but what the heck, it's only money... ;)

The duty for cameras, I believe, is absolutely nothing ! It is lenses that attract the VAT+ Import duty.

per page 247 of the 7D Manual : "If the movie file size reaches 4Gb or if the movie recording time reaches 29mins 59 secs movie shooting will stop automatically"
(my italics)
By this means Canon keep the 7D outside the European import duty definition of video camera recorder and escape the import duty of 4.9% or 12.5% ~ cunning Canon,eh? ;)
As you say, still image digital cameras attract 0% import duty. VAT is something else however...

I'm glad I live on the Isle of Skye and out of temptations way or I would also be walking out with one. I have managed to persuade my wife that I need to get a second camera body, so it will only be a matter of time before I order one when the prices come down......
Enjoy your camera and let us all know how you get on.

Martin

Will be most interested in your feedback of this camera Frank, particularly the AF system and hight ISO noise levels.

..... ... .. We went out for lunch today and drove past Park Cameras on the way home. 15 minutes later and I'm walking out with my new 7D........ .. .

Successful lunch...May I compliment you on your persuation ability.
Unfortunately my wife isn´t that easy ...:-C

Congratulations. Looking forward to read your experiences with your new 7D

Looks like you are Mr Guinea Pig, Hurry up post some nice pics you still have some light :-O

Well, the battery had virtually zero charge, so I could only take a few shots.

Here's the garden at ISO 6400. It's been processed with the Lightroom Beta profile and had some NR done on it. I don't believe in pixel-peeping, so no 100% crops.

Tomorrow I plan to go out with Didi when she sees her horse. I'll be taking the 300 f2.8 with me. I hope there are some birds I can try it out on.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 185
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back