• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

Well, the battery had virtually zero charge, so I could only take a few shots.

Here's the garden at ISO 6400. It's been processed with the Lightroom Beta profile and had some NR done on it. I don't believe in pixel-peeping, so no 100% crops.

Tomorrow I plan to go out with Didi when she sees her horse. I'll be taking the 300 f2.8 with me. I hope there are some birds I can try it out on.

BTW Frank whats the average file size for a raw on the 7d on the 50d its about 19mb would I need to buy a new external hard-drive

BTW Frank whats the average file size for a raw on the 7d on the 50d its about 19mb would I need to buy a new external hard-drive
24MB! Luckily hard drive storage is dirt cheap. £80-ish will get you 1.5TB. That'll take 60,000 7D raw files - should last a year or two.

I am looking forward to the Video function for Wildlife etc BTW sold the 50d 7d on order

Anyone tried a 1.4 kenko + 7d + 400mm f5.6 how does it react to AF centre and 9 point group

Last edited:
Digital Rev have the camera body for 1369 GBP at their London warehouse. You can also get it from their Hong kong warehouse for 1217 GBP along with a 16 gig card but import taxes may apply.

I have ordered all my camera stuff from Hong Kong ebay sellers and have never paid any import taxes, tho I do live in Greece, not UK.

HKBins have it for 1160 GBP. Both these companies are very reliable and fast from my experience.

I am keen to get one and these overseas prices are tempting but if anything goes wrong is the warranty OK in this country?

Max.

Not that it may be that relevant to us but there are some potential teething problems beginning to manifest -at least on the video side.

It appears that a long video session in warm temperatures results in overheating of the camera with activation of a red flashing overheat icon. Heat generation from the sensor, twin processors & LCD (on liveview) may all be contributing. This may be an irrelevance to most of us but does seem to be a potential bugbear for some of the semi-pro videographers. See here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-hd/458260-overheating-warning-icon-mild-temperatures.html (I'm not sure if the link will work for non-DVD Info subscribers).

I'm not knocking the camera but I do now wish I had waited a wee bit longer before buying it!!
I'll take it out later today -I need to play around with the various AF settings! :eek!:

EDIT: If overheating is a problem then will a hot sensor not generate more noise?

Last edited:
I would not worry about warranty, the chances of it going wrong in the 1st 12 months is slim, very small percentage, if it does I think you will have to send back to Honk Kong, but let me tell you they will probably repair it quicker than in the UK and it only takes 3-5 days delivery Hong Kong - UK As people have said Digital Rev and HKbins are best and also mostly the best price, (of cause you should always pay your taxes :-C)

It looks like they are aware of overheating, by the fact they have a overheating icon that appears on the screen, thats a little worrying, but in UK I think we should be OK, maybe thats also another reason why they have limited the video to 30 minutes, it wont affect me as I will mostly only take small bits of video when I was out.

EDIT You could be right Roy fates a funny thing

Not that it may be that relevant to us but there are some potential teething problems beginning to manifest -at least on the video side.

It appears that a long video session in warm temperatures results in overheating of the camera with activation of a red flashing overheat icon. Heat generation from the sensor, twin processors & LCD (on liveview) may all be contributing. This may be an irrelevance to most of us but does seem to be a potential bugbear for some of the semi-pro videographers. See here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-hd/458260-overheating-warning-icon-mild-temperatures.html (I'm not sure if the link will work for non-DVD Info subscribers).

I'm not knocking the camera but I do now wish I had waited a wee bit longer before buying it!!
I'll take it out later today -I need to play around with the various AF settings! :eek!:

EDIT: If overheating is a problem then will a hot sensor not generate more noise?

maybe thats also another reason why they have limited the video to 30 minutes,
As I understands it this has been done to get over some type of classification/regulations so that it cannot be legally classified as video camera - from what I have read the limited is 29 minutes and 59 secs so as to keep it under the 30 minutes.

Try telling that to the thousands of 1d mkIII owners ;)
Saying that, I believe, Canon (UK) honoured worldwide warranties on those bodies.

This is one reason why I wouldn't buy an imported body. Canon EOS L series lenses have an international warranty, but the bodies don't, you might save a bit of money but is it worth the risk...

The overheating problem applies to Nikon's D300s too as it comes with a warning in the handbook. It also suggests that higher temperatures may cause more noise and unusual colours.
Extended use of Live View will have the same effect.

This is one reason why I wouldn't buy an imported body. Canon EOS L series lenses have an international warranty, but the bodies don't, you might save a bit of money but is it worth the risk...

You have the same risk if you bought in UK, still have to post it off somewhere and it seems its taking upto 4/5 weeks for repair time in the UK, I do think Hong Kong maybe quicker

The world is a much smaller place now than 20 years ago with transport/internet

Has anyone sent back a item to Hong Kong for repair under warranty.........

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back