• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (3 Viewers)

I think you have answered my question Terry without incriminating yourself ;)

Just one more flog :-O Cant resist it.

I think its right to point out all the ways to buy a camera, every ones an individual which will make there own mind up regarding buying in UK are buying
abroad, at least they will be armed with all the information.

Well my first impressions.

Love the high iso performance, and what noise it does produce isn't unpleasant to look at.
Focus speed seem about equal to my 1dmk2
I like the megapixels for cropping.
Only had it a few days, but it's certainly a step up from the 400D that its replacing in my setup.

I notice that the 7d can accept a mirodrive card which seem twice the price of other memory cards, when would you want to use a mirodrive card ?

I notice that the 7d can accept a mirodrive card which seem twice the price of other memory cards, when would you want to use a mirodrive card ?

About 10 years ago, when normal CF cards were restricted in size to around 512 MB but you could get a 1GB microdrive for a reasonable amount of money (about £150).

The price is starting to fall now that some of the smaller retailers are getting stock - £1499 at Devon Cameras today.

The price is starting to fall now that some of the smaller retailers are getting stock - £1499 at Devon Cameras today.

Yes Roy I noticed that, and its only been a couple of weeks.

The bit I am looking forward to is the timelaspe Video function that should be interesting.

If that's all you want it for, can I use it in between? 8-P

No you cant buy your own :king:

looking forward to, just to mention a few

Format Interchangeable lens camera

Max resolution 5184 x 3456
Low resolution 5184 x 3456, 3888 x 2592, 3456 x 2304, 2592 x 1728
Image ratio w:h 3:2
Effective pixels 18.0 million
Sensor photo detectors 19.0 million
Sensor size 22.3 x 14.9 mm (3.32 cm²)
Pixel density 5.4 MP/cm²
Sensor type CMOS
Sensor manufacturer Canon
ISO rating Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800(H)
Zoom wide (W)
Zoom tele (T)
Digital zoom No
Image stabilization No
Auto Focus TTL-CT-SIR
Manual Focus Yes
Normal focus range
Macro focus range
White balance override 6 positions, Kelvin & manual preset
Aperture range
Min shutter 30 sec
Max shutter 1/8000 sec
Built-in Flash Yes, pop-up
Flash range 12 m (ISO 100)
External flash Yes, hot-shoe, E-TTL II
Flash modes Auto, On, Red-eye reduction, Off
Exposure compensation -3 to +3 EV in 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV steps
Metering 63 area Eval, Center weighted, Partial, Spot
Aperture priority Yes
Shutter priority Yes
Focal length multiplier 1.6
Lens thread Canon EOS EF, EF-S mount
Continuous Drive Yes, 8 fps
Movie Clips Yes, 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, 640 x 480
Remote control Yes, N3 connector
Self-timer Yes, 2 or 10 sec
Timelapse recording Unknown
Orientation sensor Yes
Storage types Compact Flash (Type I or II), UDMA, Microdrive cards
Storage included None
Uncompressed format Yes, RAW, sRAW
Quality Levels Fine, Normal
Viewfinder Optical (Pentaprism, 100% coverage, 1x magnification)
LCD 3 "
LCD Dots 920,000
Live View Yes
USB USB 2.0 (480Mbit/sec)
HDMI Yes
Wireless No
Environmentally sealed No
Battery Canon Li-Ion LP-E6 & CR1616
Weight (inc. batteries) 860 g (30.3 oz)
Dimensions 148 x 111 x 74 mm (5.8 x 4.4 x 2.9 in)

The bit I am looking forward to is the timelaspe Video function that should be interesting.
I must admit that if there was an option with no video and a tenner off I would personally take that option LOL. I already have a Video Camera (Canon with IS) and cannot remember the last time I used it. Having said that I appreciate that I am probably in the minority with regards to the video function.

Last edited:
I must admit that if there was an option with no video and a tenner off I would personally take that option LOL. I already have a Video Camera (Canon with IS) and cannot remember the last time I used it. Having said that I appreciate that I am probably in the minority with regards to the video function.

I know a lot of people think like this, but I for one am looking forward to owning a DSLR with video. I have a Sony camcorder that I'll still use for general videos of the kids, but being able to take video of bird/animal through the big lens would be fun... and think of the fun to be had making macro videos.

I know a lot of people think like this, but I for one am looking forward to owning a DSLR with video. I have a Sony camcorder that I'll still use for general videos of the kids, but being able to take video of bird/animal through the big lens would be fun... and think of the fun to be had making macro videos.
Yikes, macro videos! Don't tempt me. :eat:

Hold on there. The videon through a 400mm lens will only be 8x optical and a 500mm only 10x. This in way compares to dedicated camcorders which can have upto 25x opitcal. I think to some extent there is a little bit of getting carried away here. Do you really think that one will be able to track birds in flight or birds in bushes!! Has anyone questioned what the AF does in video terms?

All the vids I have seen are not really of a testing nature of the 7D's abilities.

BTW Terry, on that list of yours of the specs are you sure you have coverd everything?:-O

Hold on there. The videon through a 400mm lens will only be 8x optical and a 500mm only 10x. This in way compares to dedicated camcorders which can have upto 25x opitcal. I think to some extent there is a little bit of getting carried away here. Do you really think that one will be able to track birds in flight or birds in bushes!! Has anyone questioned what the AF does in video terms?

magnification isn't everything.. I very much doubt that my camcorder lens is of the same quality as my 500 f4 IS ;) Using DSLR lenses will allow control over DOF that isn't possible with a camcorder.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back