• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

Battery Information on the 7d which is going to be very helpful in the future.

Remaining Capacity in %
Shutter count
Recharge performance Green to Red
As I am using a battery grip this gives all conditions for both battery's

You can register up to 6 battery's and get the history of each battery

I know if you are like me, you been out a few times, have not recharged you battery's at least with this information, at a touch of button you can see the correct usage of your battery's.

BTW Don't go down the route of buying a cheap backup battery, I don't think you can charge them on the canon battery charger, thats why they give you a charger with them when you buy one, also the information in camera i don't think will be available. You can buy spare battery from HK for £48

Last edited:
OK my 1st 7d bird image my old sparrow mate, my garden, 1/250 at f5.6 handheld no sun out, very pleased with this 1st image cropped as well, looks a much richer image than my 50d ?

G'day Terry,

Image is looking very good for a first bird shot. Do you know the ISO you used for this shot?.

Regards,

Rob

To give a bit of a comparison this bluetit was taken at 9m with a heavy crop and resize, its not as sharp as the first sparrow shot that was taken at 5.5m of cause there's no sun out, same ISO 400 but speed was 1/200 at f5.6 handheld in both shots the Auto Lighting Optimizer was turned on at Standard, its now been turned off, will see if that makes a difference in the next shots.

Attachments

• bluetit8x8.jpg
    bluetit8x8.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 223
BTW Don't go down the route of buying a cheap backup battery, I don't think you can charge them on the canon battery charger, thats why they give you a charger with them when you buy one, also the information in camera i don't think will be available. You can buy spare battery from HK for £48

Or just a couple of quid more from Digital Depot if you use the right code. Ordered one yesterday - arrived this morning.

To give a bit of a comparison this bluetit was taken at 9m with a heavy crop and resize, its not as sharp as the first sparrow shot that was taken at 5.5m of cause there's no sun out, same ISO 400 but speed was 1/200 at f5.6 handheld in both shots the Auto Lighting Optimizer was turned on at Standard, its now been turned off, will see if that makes a difference in the next shots.
From what I have read Terry the Auto Lighting Optimizer is a waste of time and should be turned off, this could account for the noise in this ISO 400 shot.

From what I have read Terry the Auto Lighting Optimizer is a waste of time and should be turned off, this could account for the noise in this ISO 400 shot.

Agree, from what i've read shoot Raw and turn off all the gimmicks.

Terry, I hope you'll take the following constructively. The Blue Tit shot is one for the bin. It simply shows that cropping heavily into an image where the shutter speed was too low for handholding simply doesn't work regardless of the camera body used.

Agree, from what i've read shoot Raw and turn off all the gimmicks.

Terry, I hope you'll take the following constructively. The Blue Tit shot is one for the bin. It simply shows that cropping heavily into an image where the shutter speed was too low for handholding simply doesn't work regardless of the camera body used.

I totally agree with you, I was just trying to give a comparison on the 9m v 5.5m bird is also smaller, the speed was lower at 1/200, it emphasises the fact more speed, get closer, no cropping and you will have a better image all other settings being equal.

I think I am going to enjoy this camera, it will be nice to get out and about to test it out in the field as to say, but I am laid up with a man cold, so will not be out until next week when I hope the autumn sun is going to shine. It also give me plenty of time to get used to the new button layout.

EDIT heres a Starling no crop only shot I got of one, so not a good pose...... 1/200 f5.6 iso 400 ALO was on

Attachments

• starling9x6.jpg
    starling9x6.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Has anyone seen an in-depth review of the 7D with particular reference to wildlife/ action photography yet?. I have seen plenty of previews and post's on various forums but as yet no 'real' reviews from reputable sources.

Still stuck at home with a man cold, so playing around with my 7d from my conservatory shooting into the garden, turned off ALO, shot this with 100 ISO @ 1/200sec to see if you think this has better detail than the Male Sparrow ? Also cropped and handheld

1st image has ALO second image ALO turned off, can you tell any difference ?

Attachments

• sparrowfemale9x6.jpg
    sparrowfemale9x6.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 209
  • sparrowfemale1offALO.jpg
    sparrowfemale1offALO.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Still stuck at home with a man cold, so playing around with my 7d from my conservatory shooting into the garden, turned off ALO, shot this with 100 ISO @ 1/200sec to see if you think this has better detail than the Male Sparrow ? Also cropped and handheld

1st image has ALO second image ALO turned off, can tell any difference ?
Not sure what you are trying to prove here Terry. Trying to judge the difference with hand-held shots like this is meaningless IMO, especially when you are shooting a non IS 400mm lens handheld at 1/200 sec.
To really judge the two images you need to supply 100% unprocessed crops - both shots should be from a tripod with a remote release or timer.

Not sure what you are trying to prove here Terry. Trying to judge the difference with hand-held shots like this is meaningless IMO, especially when you are shooting a non IS 400mm lens handheld at 1/200 sec.
To really judge the two images you need to supply 100% unprocessed crops - both shots should be from a tripod with a remote release or timer.

Roy, why do I want to look at 100% unprocessed image, most of the posters on here are ordinary photographers that use the gallery and there websites to display there images, this is how I take my photo's 90% of the time handheld for a opportunist bird in flight or sitting in a tree or bush, maybe what I am trying to say is you cannot see much difference in the images. 100 ISO v 400 ISO ALO on ALO off. At the end of day you are displaying the images on a website and looking at them on a computer mostly at 900x600

I think if you want to make 100% unprocessed images for judging the minute detail changes, then surely you should do this in a Laboratory under temp control conditions with calibrated camera's, software, viewing media that are to a National Standard.

EDIT : You know me Roy, I say it how I feel, maybe its because I have a cold to-day :-O

Last edited:
Roy, why do I want to look at 100% unprocessed image, most of the posters on here are ordinary photographers that use the gallery and there websites to display there images, this is how I take my photo's 90% of the time handheld for a opportunist bird in flight or sitting in a tree or bush, maybe what I am trying to say is you cannot see much difference in the images. 100 ISO v 400 ISO ALO on ALO off. At the end of day you are displaying the images on a website and looking at them on a computer mostly at 900x600

I think if you want to make 100% unprocessed images for judging the minute detail changes, then surely you should do this in a Laboratory under temp control conditions with calibrated camera's, software, viewing media that are to a National Standard.

EDIT : You know me Roy, I say it how I feel, maybe its because I have a cold to-day :-O
All it proves is that on one of the shots you may have held the camera a little steadier than the other or that you may have processed one of the shots a bit differently than the other, but OK Terry you obviously have not got a clue what I am talking about so carry on posting if it makes you feel happier :-O

I will say that your Blue tit shot could be one of your most popular images for all the wrong reasons - if the Nikon fanboys or 7D doubters get hold of it they will have a field day, it could end-up all over the web as an example of how bad the Camera is ;););) What on earth prompted you to post it in this thread?

All it proves is that on one of the shots you may have held the camera a little steadier than the other or that you may have processed one of the shots a bit differently than the other, but OK Terry you obviously have not got a clue what I am talking about so carry on posting if it makes you feel happier :-O

I will say that your Blue tit shot could be one of your most popular images for all the wrong reasons - if the Nikon fanboys or 7D doubters get hold of it they will have a field day, it could end-up all over the web as an example of how bad the Camera is ;););) What on earth prompted you to post it in this thread?

Look Roy you are without doubt a better photographer than me probably 1000% better and I have learnt alot from you and this forum, but remember still there are alot of learners out there just like me, they just lurk, it would be nice for some of them to get on and do a bit of posting, regarding how wrong or right they are does not matter, this is forum surely for learning and I am doing that all the time, I just don't care what Nikon and other camera makers think thats upto them, let me tell you something the 7d is a marvellous camera still and video, I know you will not want to look at this video but I bet you there will be alot that will, so here is my first video.....

I still like you Roy :-O

http://www.youtube.com/user/deltatango301#p/a/u/0/qOSkNjz4THc

Notice that one of the birds has a bad leg (for those that don't want to look at this video DO NOT PRESS THIS LINK.
I took this with 400mm f5.6 at f11 at 400 ISO in Manual

Look Roy you are without doubt a better photographer than me probably 1000% better and I have learnt alot from you and this forum, but remember still there are alot of learners out there just like me, they just lurk, it would be nice for some of them to get on and do a bit of posting, regarding how wrong or right they are does not matter, this is forum surely for learning and I am doing that all the time,
Terry, having only taken up photography a few years ago when I retired I am very much a novice myself and doubt if, at my age, I will ever make a decent photographer, but I am always looking to learn which is why I was interested in your test. I still am interested if you would conduct it in a meaningful way. Any novices/learners that draw any conclusions from a flawed test are being led up the garden path IMO.
At the very least you should conduct the test with equal support (tripod) for both shots so that one can rule out camera shake as being a reason why one shot is better than another (more detailed). It also goes without saying that if you must process the images then they both must be done in identical fashion. I hope you see this as constructive .

Last edited:
Yes I do understand Roy, So basically I should have done it on a tripod, They both had exactly the same processing. I will keep that in mind the next time I think about doing another test. I am going to bed now....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back