• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

As far as I know this fault had not been mentioned on any of the forums.
You cannot have been looking very hard Terry- I have read several threads and numerous post on the subject on several different forums.

HERE is one from three days ago

HERE is another one from a different forum

And HERE is a third one just for luck

You cannot have been looking very hard Terry- I have read several threads and numerous post on the subject on several different forums.

HERE is one from three days ago

HERE is another one from a different forum

And HERE is a third one just for luck

Roy what I was saying or trying to say, this problem had not been mentioned on any forums prior to Canons announcement

Roy what I was saying or trying to say, this problem had not been mentioned on any forums prior to Canons announcement
Yes it had Terry, people were complaining of this a couple of weeks ago, the first link I gave you was from three days ago and that referenced an earlier thread on another forum.Canon only made the announcement today.

It was mentioned before the announcement. I've looked at all my BIF shots (which are the only ones where I've used continuous shooting and there are lots of them) and thankfully can't see any residual images.

According to Canon "under certain conditions, barely noticeable traces of the immediately preceding frame may be visible. This phenomenon is not noticeable in an image with optimal exposure."

Maybe I just got the exposure right I don't know. I'm not sure what those 'certain conditions' are, I'm sure I'll find out when I see a ghostly seagull clone in the corner of one of my photos.

Despite that announcement I'm loving my 7D, the only problem being there aren't many birds to photograph at the moment..........

I hope it's only a firmware fix, it'll be annoying if I need to send it back. At least Canon have come out and admitted a problem (knowing how much that would accept sales) but I've not paid $1700 just to be a Beta tester.................

Last edited:
5dMkII was another one that had 'issues' with some image problems. I don't know what the latest with that is but Canon always like to give with one hand and take away with the other it would seem. :-C

I commend Canon for coming out with this statement so early, and no doubt as they have said a firmware update will fix it.

I must say that all the updates I applied to the 50d I never had any of the problems that the firmware update was fixing, and I have not seen this phenomenon in the 7d. As far as I know this fault had not been mentioned on any of the forums.

If it can be fixed in firmware then I wonder if that would involve reducing the max frame rate... hopefully it will be sorted soon enough and there won't be another Canon recall.

If it can be fixed in firmware then I wonder if that would involve reducing the max frame rate... hopefully it will be sorted soon enough and there won't be another Canon recall.
I saw an example of supposedly ghosting today which was taken in one shot mode and not burst !

I saw an example of supposedly ghosting today which was taken in one shot mode and not burst !

If you mean this one, then I agree with those that reckon it looks more like a reflected image than a carry-over from the previous one.

In that same threadm Bill Boehme has posted what sounds like a reasonable guess at the cause. And explained how a firmware fix could solve it wit no impact on fps.

I see that WE has now got the 7D for £1499 with a free extra Canon battery - If prices continue to drop like this I might even be able to afford one myself in a years time :-O

I don't think that this user review http://www.birdphotographyblog.com/
has been been noted on this forum, but it strikes me as fair and balanced and in line with my own impressions regarding handling (superb), noise (ditto) and autofocus (iffy, especially where no clear contrast between subject and background can be obtained).

I don't think that this user review http://www.birdphotographyblog.com/
has been been noted on this forum, but it strikes me as fair and balanced and in line with my own impressions regarding handling (superb), noise (ditto) and autofocus (iffy, especially where no clear contrast between subject and background can be obtained).
Yep, from everything that I have read this seems to be the pattern that is emerging from bird snappers. Almost everyone is pleased with the high ISO noise level when compared with the 50D which is a big plus for Canon IMO.

I have seen samples where there is a busy background,the focus point is over the bird but the focus has been lost which is a little worrying. Could be this is down to using the wrong AF mode for a given situation.
There are so many options compared to a xxD body that the learning curve for ex xxD users is quite big.

I have seen a lot of reviews where people are comparing the AF of the 7D with 1 series cameras and the general opinion is that the 7D is not as good as, say, the 1D MkIII which is no real surprise but how does the AF compare with the 40D/50D, I assume it is as good or even a little better - can anyone please confirm this.

The 7D still remains the favourite for my next Camera but I shall see how things pan out over the next for months.

but how does the AF compare with the 40D/50D, I assume it is as good or even a little better - can anyone please confirm this.

It's really difficult to do objective tests on something like AF, especially, as you say, because there are so many more options for it. Until I went to the Pro Solutions seminar on C.Fn settings for the 7D I still wasn't completely sure about how the C.Fn settings really worked. That seminar (and the Intro to the 1D MkIV - which was mainly about the AF) really helped me to understand it. One of the things I'd not changed was C.Fn III-1 - the seminar made it plain that I really wanted it on a slower setting (the slower the setting, the less likely the camera is to switch AF to a different target).

If people do try AF tests it would be helpful if they made a note of their settings for C.Fn III-1 to 4 (I think that -2(slow), 0, 1, 1 should give best results) and their AF mode (single point with expansion for me, although I've yet to try Zone).

Going to the local dog rescue centre tomorrow to check the compatibility between old dog and potential new dog. If it all works out I should have a great target for testing AF while we play with her.

It's really difficult to do objective tests on something like AF, especially, as you say, because there are so many more options for it. Until I went to the Pro Solutions seminar on C.Fn settings for the 7D I still wasn't completely sure about how the C.Fn settings really worked. That seminar (and the Intro to the 1D MkIV - which was mainly about the AF) really helped me to understand it. One of the things I'd not changed was C.Fn III-1 - the seminar made it plain that I really wanted it on a slower setting (the slower the setting, the less likely the camera is to switch AF to a different target).

If people do try AF tests it would be helpful if they made a note of their settings for C.Fn III-1 to 4 (I think that -2(slow), 0, 1, 1 should give best results) and their AF mode (single point with expansion for me, although I've yet to try Zone).

Going to the local dog rescue centre tomorrow to check the compatibility between old dog and potential new dog. If it all works out I should have a great target for testing AF while we play with her.
Thanks for that Frank, I await your feedback with interest :t:

I see that Bristol Cameras are now down to £1399 and it is shown as 'in stock'.

edit: 'Campkins online' and RGBPhoto have it for £1299 has anyone ever dealt with them?

Last edited:
I think theres just to many varables to say what is best for a shot as the next shot can be very diffrent.
iv tried all the focus settings and being happy with them all .
That said some work better than others and some are easyer than others .
We had all this with the MK3 even after the fixes and theres no one setting that works best for all shots.
The biggest improvement over all the other 1.6 crops is the focus tracking speed ( i have it set to slow )
Be it a confusing BG or a plain BG if i do my part right the 7d on most shots will do its job right, same with the mk3.
This shot has a single point only working, its right on the bird it would have been eayer with the midle zone set but i did not have time to change it .
That happens all the time theres so much luck needed some times.
Pic just to show how the 7d can get focus on a speedy bird.
Rob.

Attachments

• AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 128
  • A.jpg
    A.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 147
I think theres just to many varables to say what is best for a shot as the next shot can be very diffrent.
In bird photography you often have not got the luxury of planning your shots in advance so it could be that it is down to luck as to whether or not you are in the right mode from what I can see. What if you are tracking a flyer against,say, a plain background and it suddenly flies through a busy background, is there any way of quickly changing to a different mode or are you stuffed!

Are there any one touch options for quickly changing modes ?

Last edited:
In bird photography you often have not got the luxury of planning your shots in advance so it could be that it is down to luck as to whether or not you are in the right mode from what I can see. What if you are tracking a flyer against,say, a plain background and it suddenly flies through a busy background, is there any way of quickly changing to a different mode or are you stuffed!

Are there any one touch options for quickly changing modes ?

You could have different focussing in modes in the three camera user settings.

In bird photography you often have not got the luxury of planning your shots in advance...

That's a very 'birderish' type thing to say Roy. ;)

A 'photographer' will try and plan in advance to eliminate as many variables as possible in order to get the image, like Andy Rouse's now infamous Kingfisher shots, he didn't just 'happen' to be in the right place at the right time for them.

As for changing modes isn't this where the custom modes come in as you can have them on a fixed set of settings permanently so you turn the dial to one of them and bam, you're ready! Of course reality is a completely different thing, I know I'd never remember to do it. :-O

A 'photographer' will try and plan in advance to eliminate as many variables as possible in order to get the image.
That's true Adam but what about us 'L' platers who will probably never ever get to be a 'photographer' :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back