• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (2 Viewers)

In bird photography you often have not got the luxury of planning your shots in advance so it could be that it is down to luck as to whether or not you are in the right mode from what I can see. What if you are tracking a flyer against,say, a plain background and it suddenly flies through a busy background, is there any way of quickly changing to a different mode or are you stuffed!

Are there any one touch options for quickly changing modes ?

no its a press 1 button then another,
as Hollis_f says you could custom them.
Rob

Last edited:
You could have different focussing in modes in the three camera user settings.
Good idea frank, I forgot about those. I used to use them for different Ev comp values but since switching to manual over a year ago they have been not been used.
I was not even sure if you could shoot manual mode in one of the camera user settings modes and still change the manual settings but just tried and you can (at least on my dinosaur Camera you can ;) ).
That's me all sorted for when I get a 7D then :t:

Just thought I'd chime in with a quick note - I've just been looking at the first set of shots that I took with my 7D and first impressions are very favourable! Pretty much the main reason I wanted to upgrade was because of the having to almost always use noise software to some degree on my 50D images. I took some iso800 shots yesterday with the 7D and noise is noticeably better, much cleaner and less harsh than the 50D. I'm impressed!

Just thought I'd chime in with a quick note - I've just been looking at the first set of shots that I took with my 7D and first impressions are very favourable! Pretty much the main reason I wanted to upgrade was because of the having to almost always use noise software to some degree on my 50D images. I took some iso800 shots yesterday with the 7D and noise is noticeably better, much cleaner and less harsh than the 50D. I'm impressed!
That's good to know Paul. Most people seem to be saying the same with regards to the noise levels of the 7D. Considering it is a 18mp 1.6 cropper Canon have done a great job in that department.

I honestly cannot believe that, I only wanted to use noise reduction software on about two occasion only on my 50d images, or I binned them because they were not taken correctly, unless you are taking bats in a cave. :-O

I honestly cannot believe that, I only wanted to use noise reduction software on about two occasion only on my 50d images, or I binned them because they were not taken correctly, unless you are taking bats in a cave. :-O
Hmmm, well either I had a dodgy 50D or my take on acceptable levels of noise obviously differ from yours. I can honestly say the noise levels of the 50D on certain shots were unacceptable, for me. Simple as that.

Hmmm, well either I had a dodgy 50D or my take on acceptable levels of noise obviously differ from yours. I can honestly say the noise levels of the 50D on certain shots were unacceptable, for me. Simple as that.

I just had a look at your website and you have some very good images on there seems mostly 1D's, OK I would agree some shots would need some noise reduction, but you did say "almost always" and I thought that was a bit over the top, and yes probably your standards are higher than mine.

I just think to many people do a downer on the 50d which I think is a good camera, but I never owned a 40d to look at it from that prospective. Thats just there for the 40d boys :-O

I like the 7d better than the 50d,, I would it cost more money, I would like the 1D's over the 7d that also costs an arm and leg.

I just think to many people do a downer on the 50d which I think is a good camera, but I never owned a 40d to look at it from that prospective. Thats just there for the 40d boys :-O
From what I have seen, just about everyone (including me as I have stated in many of my post's) thinks that the 50D is the best xxD Camera yet but what that has to do with the 7D v 50D high ISO noise levels is beyond me (where's the baffled smiley!)

I still have the Dinosaur (40D) and am genuinely interested in peoples opinion of the 7D with a view to upgrading.

Last edited:
I have to say given what I've read if I had the choice I might opt for a second-hand MkIII instead. It's all about the AF for me, the number of great chances I've missed because they weren't in focus makes that my primary factor for a future body. Although the 7D may well be good enough for my needs but without trying one that's something you can never really know for yourself, no matter how many reviews and user's comments you read. We all do this lark differently.

One query that I hope someone can answer, is the ISO better on the MKIII than on the 40D, I'm kinda guessing it is becasue of the 1.6x on the 40D.

From what I have seen, just about everyone (including me as I have stated in many of my post's) thinks that the 50D is the best xxD Camera yet but what that has to do with the 7D v 50D high ISO noise levels is beyond me (where's the baffled smiley!)

I still have the Dinosaur (40D) and am genuinely interested in peoples opinion of the 7D with a view to upgrading.

Its no brainer really Roy, the 10d 20d 30d 40d 50d 7d 1d's all better than each other, or Canon seriously got it wrong, 7d is a better camera than the 50d. If anyone has taken offence in what I posted I apologise.

I have to say given what I've read if I had the choice I might opt for a second-hand MkIII instead. It's all about the AF for me, the number of great chances I've missed because they weren't in focus makes that my primary factor for a future body. Although the 7D may well be good enough for my needs but without trying one that's something you can never really know for yourself, no matter how many reviews and user's comments you read. We all do this lark differently.

One query that I hope someone can answer, is the ISO better on the MKIII than on the 40D, I'm kinda guessing it is becasue of the 1.6x on the 40D.
If you are referring to the High ISO noise levels Adam, I think you will get a resounding thumbs up for the MkIII. I am sure the MkIII users will confirm this.

I am also thinking along the lines of a used MkIII or 7D. The only thing that puts me off the MkIII is the effective reach but I guess it is the 1.3 crop sensor that makes the IQ and noise levels so much better - swings and roundabouts

I've moved from xxD to used 1D and find the new body excellent to hold, albeit heavier. Personally much more comfortable in the hand, but I've got big hands. Haven't noticed loss of reach, I use 2 stacked 1.4 on a 400 f5.6. I have no problems with image quality but am still learning with it. Slightly off thread sorry.

with VAT probably going well up in Jan 2010 buying a 7D now may be a good idea if you want one -- one quick question I assume everyone is at present stuck with Canon software for converting 7D RAWs -- has anyone read if Adobe will include the 7D in CS3 or if like the 5DII you will have to fork out for CS4?

with VAT probably going well up in Jan 2010 buying a 7D now may be a good idea if you want one -- one quick question I assume everyone is at present stuck with Canon software for converting 7D RAWs -- has anyone read if Adobe will include the 7D in CS3 or if like the 5DII you will have to fork out for CS4?

Not stuck with DPP, using the beta support in Lightroom.

No chance of support in CS3. It looks like there may be a 2.6 release of Lightroom with full 7D support, which would be good news for those that don't want / can't afford to upgrade to v3. So you can buy Lightroom and use ACR with that, then send the processed image over to CS3 for further editing.

Or use the free DNG converter and ACR in CS3.

Not stuck with DPP, using the beta support in Lightroom.

No chance of support in CS3. It looks like there may be a 2.6 release of Lightroom with full 7D support, which would be good news for those that don't want / can't afford to upgrade to v3. So you can buy Lightroom and use ACR with that, then send the processed image over to CS3 for further editing.

Or use the free DNG converter and ACR in CS3.

Must look out my free copy of Lightroom and see if I can still download it (got an email when Adobe took over RAW shooter) --

As to VAT many suggestions that it will go up to 20% in Jan

As to VAT many suggestions that it will go up to 20% in Jan

Four months before an election! I seriously doubt it.

Much more likely that Labour will do what the Tories did in 1992. They decided they were going to lose the election so let the economy slide - figuring they'd get in in 1997 when thinbgs were recovering. Unfortunately for them the population lied to the psephologists, Labour lost, John Major stayed PM during the bad times and Tony Blair got in just in time for the upturn.

I suspect that whoever gets in next time will manage one term because they'll have to implement some unpopular policies - like raising vat.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back