• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

Just thought I'd chime in with a quick note - I've just been looking at the first set of shots that I took with my 7D and first impressions are very favourable! Pretty much the main reason I wanted to upgrade was because of the having to almost always use noise software to some degree on my 50D images. I took some iso800 shots yesterday with the 7D and noise is noticeably better, much cleaner and less harsh than the 50D. I'm impressed!

I agree with Nikon Kid, I don´t know what you are talking about? Images from the 50D aren´t noisy IMO, - the 50D is like the 40D in this respect.

Images from the 50D aren´t noisy IMO
So are you saying that ALL your images from your 50D show no noise? That's quite a claim! The 50D is a fantastic camera and has produced some great images for me, all I'm saying is that at iso400 and above the noise on certain shots show (for me, and also for many misc. forum members) unacceptable levels of noise. If you want I will happily send you examples of perfectly exposed images shot at iso400 that back-up my claim.

Last edited:
One man noise is another mans heaven as to say...... as Paul said he See's unacceptable noise in his images and applies his software to improve the image.

But how do you really measure noise ? Is there standard laid down or is it just your own view on your own computer, is noise measured in a plain background or in a busy background, and if you apply noise reduction software are you not losing detail, and where is the point that loss of detail is better than some noise, how much is the question ?

EDIT what else I wanted to say, its hard enough to get a good image, bird, exposure, pose, background, noise, etc and alot of images that fall into that category get binned anyway, and you are left with the best of the bunch for that days outing.....

Last edited:
7D now £1,379.05 on amazon with £50 cashback
£1300 here - http://www.rgb-photo.co.uk/cameras-.../canon-eos-7d-digital-slr-camera-body-p6#1508 including delivery.

How do you get the £50 cash back at Amazon, which, as far as I can see, is a marketplace trader rather than Amazon themselves?

If you use Quidco there is 10% cash back (on the pre-VAT price) when buying from Jessops, which brings the price there down to £1370 either delivered or for reserve and collect. I have a feeling that 10% offer might expire today, as I'm guessing it's linked in with their "10 days of deals" to celebrate the 10th birthday of jessops.com, and today is the 10th day.

If you don't mind a grey import it's £1256 here - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-Can...286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=2&ps=6 for a body already in the country so nothing further to pay.

Personally, with some of the issues raised about the camera, I would want the assurance of Canon UK warranty behind the 7D.

Last edited:
I've never heard of Campkins and I've not dealt with RGB but have seen many positive reports about them on the net. It is possible that their deals come from splitting lens kit packs apart and selling body and lens separately, so you may get the right gear but in a plain box rather than the Canon original. I'm not saying that is the case here but it might be. If in doubt then call them and check. While a Canon original box might be nice, paying an extra £70 (or more) to have it does seem quite a lot. AFAIK the goods are legitimate UK stock, so it's only the boxing that might be a concern, if it bothers you.

Personally, with some of the issues raised about the camera, I would want the assurance of Canon UK warranty behind the 7D.
I agree, Canon UK picked-up the tab for my 40D repair even after the warranty period had expired - I wonder if I would have got this with one of the grey market jobs!

Can anyone who's moved up from a 40D/50D give us the latest on taped pin TC's at f8? Has anyone tried it with these new AF options like AF expansion?

Cheers.
Adam

A question for GYRob. Now that you have had both cameras for a little while, if you had to keep just one out of your 1D III and the 7D, which would you choose?

Ive been waiting for this camera,im still working with a 350d so im still in the dark ages,but nothing has really rattled my cage until now..ive got a friend who has just switched over to Nikon from Canon,sold all his gear even his Sigmonster,because of the quality of the Nikon NR capabilities,maybe hes been a bit premature if it sounds like Canon are finally getting their act together in this department..anybody know any cheap camera repairers..the button you press to detach the lens has fallen off.need to use a pen or something to press in the catch,Jessops quoted me £100.cant justify that if im upgrading soon,may just have to grin and bear it..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/apbirdman

I have also been looking at the 7D or 1d3. After reading umpteen post on various forums and now a couple of the latest reviews (inc DPR) and must say that I have seen enough to convince me that the 7D is the way to go for me although I have to say that I am biased towards a 1.6 cropper for more 'perceived reach'.
I am in no hurry so will wait a while to see if the price comes down a bit although I am highly tempted at £1299.

Well thats a hard one and iv not really had chance to do a full bif test other than a few grab shots here and there.
That said the 7d has performed really well and as you know there is no way of testing on a bif shot side by side MK3 and 7d as you just canrt take the same shot twice.

As it stands now the 7d wins
The AF is so close to the mk3 it would be ( if a shot was missed ) inposible to say the mk3 would have got it .
The 7d offers far greater reach and for us that is often why we lose shots (lack of reach ),also being able to ajust the focus tracking puts it in the class of the 1d bodys for bif this control really does help if you lose the bird and on slow tracking it wont jump to the background .
The detail it captures is as good as you could wish for and it offers the highest MP onto the subject of any crop camera giving a great advantage for cropping if you have too .
There are more pluses for the 7d than the mk3 for birding and i may well sell the mk3 wile its still worth something as i will be getting the mk4 (once its proved to be ok ) and as i see it the 7d will do all i want and just about everything the mk3 does other than AF at f8 and give 2000 + shots per charge .
But 7d also does things the mk3 wont Video and you can programe the DOF preview button to switch between 1 SHOT or AI SERVO then you just press and hold it in 1 shot let it out ai servo ( no pressing a button then turning a weel )
Then theres that tiny focus point great for birds in twiggs or making sure your right on the birds eye .
So if a rare bird was reported down the coast and i could only take 1 camera i would pick the 7d Subject to a few proper in flight shots .
Rob
eddit an 800iso shot about half frame. i have processed it

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Thanks Rob, that's very helpful indeed. I'd be interested to hear more when you've had a chance at some more flight shots. :t:

just need some Ducks but here is a preriquin i got and he was moving quick, full frame and 100% crop center focus point just getting the wing .
shows what you can be left with on a big crop
Rob.

Attachments

• FULL.jpg
    FULL.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 154
  • CROP.jpg
    CROP.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 203
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back