• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

7D + big crop + ISO 400

Here's a record shot from yesterday of a black redstart taken at Roy's estuary... ;) This is for those who feel big crops will make up a lot of their shots. As you can see, it also needed a lot of lifting in levels.

Attachments

• black redstart FF.jpg
    black redstart FF.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 180
  • black redstart.jpg
    black redstart.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 237
Here's a record shot from yesterday of a black redstart taken at Roy's estuary... ;) This is for those who feel big crops will make up a lot of their shots. As you can see, it also needed a lot of lifting in levels.
That's the best example of a very heavy crop from the 7D that I have seen Tim - that would do me for sure (providing I got the exposure right, I was over a stop under .:C )

Last edited:
I see that Jacobs are back up to £1299 - I think WE may have gone back-up but now a couple of other firms are around £1200 they will stay there.

Still learning how to use the 7D.Getting quite a few poor shots which I feel are down to me.I have taken some good ones as well.Here are a couple of the better ones.

This morning when using Spot AF the camera failed to focus sometimes(I was hand holding).It was OK when I switched to AF expansion.Could I have a problem?

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_0509 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0509 (Large).JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0421 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0421 (Large).JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Still learning how to use the 7D.Getting quite a few poor shots which I feel are down to me.I have taken some good ones as well.Here are a couple of the better ones.

This morning when using Spot AF the camera failed to focus sometimes(I was hand holding).It was OK when I switched to AF expansion.Could I have a problem?

Max.
They are better than my efforts Max, my first day out today so cannot comment about spot AF I am afraid as I was only in single point and singe point expansion, I did notice that on single point expansion for perching birds I did miss the focus a few times.

Here is my efforts first day out. My initial thoughts are that the RAW's are a lot softer than the 40D and require a heck of a lot more sharpening. I was shooting in Single point and single point expansion on a good tripod and head. AF seemed quicker than the 40D and the view finder was brighter. To be fair I was shooting with a 2x tc, the light was cr#p and most are heavy crops. All these were shot on ISO 800.
I am reserving my judgement for another day!

edit: the noise at ISO 800 is a fair bit worse than the 40D IMO.

Attachments

• curlew1.jpg
    curlew1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 104
  • gull3.jpg
    gull3.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 115
  • gull2.jpg
    gull2.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 136
  • thrush1.jpg
    thrush1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I have not seen it mentioned before but I get the impression that the AWB is very off on this camera, unless it is just mine or the converters I am using for RAW (Canon, Capture 1 and CS4) all show a rich magenta cast to images (I have it set on large JPeg and RAW and Neutral picture style -- the AWB also seem to vary quite dramatically when swinging through say 90 degrees from sun at back to sun part side and also seems to be affected by water --
I also find that images need a lot of sharpening post processing even when the image is large and reduced by 3-4x -- took a lot of shorelarks today with 7D and 500f4 + 1.4 and same with 1DIII -- the later though much smaller were distinctly better in sharpness, colour balance and IQ -- maybe the RAW converters I am using have not got the proper profiles sorted yet but you would expect the Canon thing to be right

I've had the 7D about 2 months now and can echo what some of the others have said.

The RAW images are softer than my old 10MP camera at 100% and need more sharpening. I only really post my stuff on the web and rarely print it and to get acceptably sharp web images I'm setting in-camera sharpening at 3 in the DPP conversion and then doing a high pass capture sharpen/USM on the full size JPG in CS4 and then a basic smart sharpen on the final cropped and downsized image.

The files are huge and my 2008 i-mac (with 4GB RAM so it's no slouch) takes a while to load the high quality image in DPP. Lightroom is slightly faster and when the ACR 5.6 full version is released I will use it more I think. Is anyone using M-RAW????

I'm using Spot AF/One shot AF all the time except for BIFs when I'm using AF expansion/AI servo and some other tweaks (I have this as one of my custom settings). For BIF shots the 7D is, I think, a very good camera indeed.

On the whole I'm very happy with my 7D. I'm getting some great BIF shots compared to before and for still shots the cropping from an 18MP file is coming in very handy even if the images are to my eye not really that different from my old camera, only bigger. Mind you I'm coming from an xxxD (and an older model, the 400D). Some of you folks coming from a 40D/50D may be more critical.

I have not seen it mentioned before but I get the impression that the AWB is very off on this camera, unless it is just mine or the converters I am using for RAW (Canon, Capture 1 and CS4) all show a rich magenta cast to images (I have it set on large JPeg and RAW and Neutral picture style -- the AWB also seem to vary quite dramatically when swinging through say 90 degrees from sun at back to sun part side and also seems to be affected by water --
I also find that images need a lot of sharpening post processing even when the image is large and reduced by 3-4x -- took a lot of shorelarks today with 7D and 500f4 + 1.4 and same with 1DIII -- the later though much smaller were distinctly better in sharpness, colour balance and IQ -- maybe the RAW converters I am using have not got the proper profiles sorted yet but you would expect the Canon thing to be right
Cannot say I have noticed the magenta cast but I have only been out with the Camera once. I am not surprised at your findings when compared with the 1DIII with regards to sharpness, colour balance and IQ as I feel that the humble 40D is distinctly better than the 7D in these areas. I took around 150 shots yesterday and every single one of them is destined for the bin!

What I find strange is when trying to sharpen even a medium/heavy crop from the 7D it almost seems non responsive - with the 40D I would sharpen at strength 100 and radius 0.3 and even that would be too much at times but with the 7D I was using a radius of 0.5 to 1 and strengths of up to 200 and even then they did not look particularly sharp - weird.

What are the laws about returning cameras once you have used them?

Roy, I think there are some regulations around 'distance selling' and returning goods. Perhaps Googling those phrases would yield something. However, the pics you've taken so far were you said in poor light. I wouldn't do anything too rash yet. I think there's a learning curve for using new kit and processing images from the 7D is clearly going to require some different tricks from the 40D. I'm happy so far.

Attachments

• stonechat saxicola torquata 11.jpg
    stonechat saxicola torquata 11.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 116
Just had another play with a shot I took yesterday. I attach the original full frame and a 4mp crop which has been processed and resized for the web. Do you think this is OK/acceptable? I must admit there is quite a lot of detail in the crop so maybe I am being a bit unfair with my previous post.
BTW there does seem to be a slight magenta cast on the original although it was easy enough to correct in post.

I am beginning to think that the 7D RAW's need to be processed a fair bit differently to the 40D ones.
EDIT: just seen your post Tim, I think you may be right about learning some new tricks,

Attachments

• HGull large.jpg
    HGull large.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 74
  • HGull crop.jpg
    HGull crop.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Roy, that's looking better. Give it a couple of weeks and I expect you'll agree with Juza, Romy Ocon and other good bird photographers that this is a great camera.

That looks OK to me Roy.

Agree with you re post processing, 7D files need a different approach.

I just opened DPP and had a look at some images at 100%. When I upped the sharpening to 5 and viewed at 50% they looked fine.

Just had another play with a shot I took yesterday. I attach the original full frame and a 4mp crop which has been processed and resized for the web. Do you think this is OK/acceptable? I must admit there is quite a lot of detail in the crop so maybe I am being a bit unfair with my previous post.
BTW there does seem to be a slight magenta cast on the original although it was easy enough to correct in post.

To be honest Roy the crop doesn't do it for me - it looks too heavily processed, the contrast seems to have been pushed too far and it still seems to be lacking in some detail. I think that if you back off some of the processing a bit and possible add a bt more USM then you'll end up with a more natural looking shot.

Roy, your most recent post looks much better I agree. Those images in post 511 seem to mirror the photos I have been getting with the 7D. I have discovered that using DPP, when the image "pops" into focus (especially with sharpening set to 3 or above) there is a lot of noise accompanying the sharpened photo, which wasn't apparent with the earlier version which came with the 40D or Mklll. I have now set my in-camera sharpness to zero and only tweak it a little in DPP. I wonder if this latest version is causing some of the disquiet in the proceesing of Raw's. Have others seen similar results?
Ian G

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back