• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (2 Viewers)

i tried centre zone on a Redshank feeding today (just as a test ) and it did not work very well at all, as i expected then i shots some fast jets in the sky same setting and worked very well .
I find center or spot best for birds on the ground.
Rob.
I have not tried Centre zone yet Rob - how do you rate it against centre point expansion for flyers?

Anyone know of anywhere selling the 7d that takes paypal?
Ive had a look at the normal places that I can think of and none do.

I have not tried Centre zone yet Rob - how do you rate it against centre point expansion for flyers?

Hi Roy
i thought it was good for inflights with a clear BG and diffrent points do get focus .
evertime iv tried centre point expansion it has never expanded .( im not that good )
im going to try some shots when its fine to see if i can MAKE it expand i.e a static shot in the garden .
Rob.

Hi Roy
i thought it was good for inflights with a clear BG and diffrent points do get focus .
evertime iv tried centre point expansion it has never expanded .( im not that good )
im going to try some shots when its fine to see if i can MAKE it expand i.e a static shot in the garden .
Rob.
eddit
well i just tried it and carnt get it to expand onto anything ,it just seems as though only center is working very strange.

i put a pole in the garden then slowly moved the camera untill one of the exspand points hit it .
It would not focus untill the center hit it .
Rob.

i put a pole in the garden then slowly moved the camera untill one of the exspand points hit it .
It would not focus untill the center hit it .
Rob.

That's because the focussing system needs to grab the target with the centre point first. Try focussing on the pole with the centre point then move the camera sideways. When the centre point 'loses' the pole it should switch to one of the expansion points.

That's because the focussing system needs to grab the target with the centre point first. Try focussing on the pole with the centre point then move the camera sideways. When the centre point 'loses' the pole it should switch to one of the expansion points.

i know the mk3 works this way but thought the 7d used any as a start point as it does with all points or zone .
Rob.

What compact flash cards are people using in their 7ds?

Do you need to get one of the really expensive fast ones for the video?

What compact flash cards are people using in their 7ds?

Do you need to get one of the really expensive fast ones for the video?
Not tried Video yet but from what I have read speed of card is not much of an issue, it is the time it takes to empty the buffer when taking a burst of stills that gains most from high speed cards. I am using a 4GB sandisk extreme III which seems OK for speed so I have just ordered a 8GB one (7dayshop £36 delivered).

Last edited:
I already had two 8gb cards, but might add a 16gb later next year for the summer when the insects start moving to do some video capture.

Last edited:
Cheers.

Ive got a pile of 4gb extreme IIIs from my mk3. Not sure how much video that would hold though.
Not a lot - for stills it is around 100 but I would not have thought you would have got a lot of video out of the card.

I already had two 8mb cards, but might add a 16mb later next year for the summer when the insects start moving to do some video capture.
As you do Video, perhaps you could answer Peteh's query on card speed and how much video you can get on a certain size card.

I haven't shot much video so far but I use Transcend 32GB 133X cards in my 7D and 5D2 and have not noticed problems with video. According to the specs here - http://www.transcendusa.com/Press/index.asp?LangNo=0&axn=Detail&PrsNo=902 (write speeds of up to 16MB/s) - I don't see any reason why I should expect problems.

According to Rob Galbraith's table of write speeds - http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9784 - the card above is good for writing image files at around 11MB/s, which is ample for video. The manual recommends 8MB/s.

BTW, the 7D's video bitrate is 48Mb/s, which is only 6MB/s. Add a bit more for sound and it seems clear that the 133X cards should be up to the job.

Last edited:
Cheers for the info.
Gone for the kingston elite pro 133x 16gb. Got it for 29 quid so that will do me for the time being.

Cheers for the info.
Gone for the kingston elite pro 133x 16gb. Got it for 29 quid so that will do me for the time being.
Thats the card I use and I find it perfectly adequate. I too have a ruck of 4G Extreme 111's but at up to 33MB per shot they just don't last long and a couple of times I have run out just when ................
Best regards, Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back