• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Amazon of Venezuela (1 Viewer)

Wolf Beam

I'm planning a trip to Venezuela just after Christmas or maybe in Jan 2011.
3-4 weeks, the main goal is the Amazon. The first stop will most likely be Puerto Ayacucho. I will explore this area for one or two weeks and then move closer to the coast, perhaps the Orinoco delta.

So does anyone on BF has information about this area; where to go, good guides and so on. I'd like to spend several days of hiking.

I should add that though I'm a birdwatcher I'm equally interested in insects, especially Dragonflies. Therfore I don't mind staying in places where it can be hard to spot birds, like heavily wooded places.

If anyone else on BF have similar plans it would be nice to discuss this topic (Birding in Venezuela).

Wolf

Last edited:
Wolf,
Greetings. I looked at traveling to this area before I visited Venezuela a couple of years ago but decided against it as I couldn't find any good accommodation in the area (I like my creature comforts) and off the top of my head I don't think the potential 'additional' species list were as good as other places. If you are equally interested in insects then I recommend contacting Norbert Flauger (he organizes expeditions in Venezuela)- see link

http://www.bugparadise.com/menus/menu_en.html

Thanks Mike,

That Sounds like a really good place to start the trip, after arriving to Caracas. If someone can recommend other places like this I would be grateful.
Places where you can stay in nice sorroundings for a couple of days, doing walks and excursions.

Wolf

I visited Venezuela in February, 2009, but only the western half of the country. I did research the eastern part and though Orinoco Delta Lodge sounded like a good operation - see http://orinocodelta.com/

The people were very friendly to me even when they knew I was from U.S. - it helps to talk about baseball sometimes... And that Bush is gone - not popular there. The only thing dangerous was the highways.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back