• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'The Big Year' by Mark Obmascik. (1 Viewer)

I have a first edition, mainly because it is a legendary item of twitching memorabilia (now that's sad!). It was indeed censored by the RSPB magazine and that was what probably made more people read it!

Another good birding read is Birdwatching in the Seventies by Ian Wallace. Now there's enthusiastic prose!

Sort of related to this thread> Where can one find who holds the records for ehichever year? Has the 1998 record been broken?

Year records at
http://americanbirding.org/bigday/blcontents.htm#Annual Lists

2002 best list were
ANNUAL: ABA AREA

1 - 707 Jordan, Curtis (TX)

2 - 576 Fredricks, Gary (WA)

3 - 569 Seegert, Greg (IL)

3 - 569 Overton, Michael D. (IA)

5 - 562 Sanders, Dan (OH)

Not sure of 2003

Same source lists, I think in 2002, ABA Members Komito with life list of 842 for the same ABA area, Greg Miller with 748. You have to read the book to see what his Big Year number was.

Last edited:
If I ever won the lotto I would attempt a British record then try to conquer the States. I suppose if I did the States I would be despised for buying the record like that 'Birdman' Vardamann.

Andrew, it would be your money, spend it how you like. At least you're a birder and not some bloke who did the record just to be notorious. I think I would do more or less the same - I would use the money for travelling and birding, among other things...

I am re-reading the book, and it's just as good as the first time round.

I am reading Pete Dunnes's Feathered Quest now. It and the Big Year book focus a bit too much on the birders, to tell the story. Occasionally Ken Kaufman would enter into several paragraphs about a particular bird. So I enjoyed Kingbird Highway probably the best. He is a dirt poor bum and occasionally exposed to the elements as much as the birds. Dunne is a comfort birder.

Kingbird Highway was a cracking read with a birder really making his money go far and living rough.

I have Feather Quest in my collection of 'books to be read' and look forward to it despite some of Pete Dunne's books being a bit of a let down for me. I like high octane birding tales.

My next one is a British book, 'Best Days with British Birds' and it is a collection of stories from birders recurring their exciting sessions/days/twitches. Hope it lives up to my expectations.

Yes, I would like to see a European equivalent to these Big Year books! Not sure what country. Do people keep some kind of EU area lists?

Andrew said:
If I ever won the lotto I would attempt a British record then try to conquer the States. I suppose if I did the States I would be despised for buying the record like that 'Birdman' Vardamann.

Someone I used to work with has done just that - all 6 numbers. Shame he's not a birder! Not being tied to a job for your income would do wonders for your year list, wouldn't it?

I was in Waterstone's this morning, but I'm forbidden to buy any more books at the moment. I looked at 'The Big Year' and the Simon Barnes book, and was tempted to buy both. Two more for the Christmas list, I suppose.

I have had to rein in my book purchases simply because I am acumulating more books when I have loads to read! Should be happy with what I have!

Andrew said:
If I ever won the lotto I would ........try to conquer the States.

It would be your money and everything, but would you really spend it chartering private planes so you could see a redwing or a european kestrel in some far flung corner of north america?!

James Lowther said:
It would be your money and everything, but would you really spend it chartering private planes so you could see a redwing or a european kestrel in some far flung corner of north america?!
If you read the book you will see they didn't go that far! Lighten up man!:hippy:

My comment is not even worth defending as it was a throw away light hearted comment.

Last edited:

I`d be happy to spend it chartering private planes so I could see a Hermit Thrush or an American Kestrel in some far flung corner of Britain?!

Jasonbirder said:
I`d be happy to spend it chartering private planes so I could see a Hermit Thrush or an American Kestrel in some far flung corner of Britain?!
Me too!

Wonder if they do flights from Exeter to Fair Isle? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back