• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'The Big Year' by Mark Obmascik. (1 Viewer)

Andrew said:
If you read the book you will see they didn't go that far! Lighten up man!:hippy:

I thought we'd put out a moratorium on the use of 'lighten up' . Anyway, Andrew, I was really only making the point that actively pursuing vagrants, (some of which you would probably have seen thousands of times in Britain) in another country seems to be a spectacular waste of money, and could lead people to suggest you 'get a life' ;) . Wouldn't you rather spend it having a go at phoebe snetsinger's record world list?
Anyway, this is getting off-topic somewhat, but that's my fault i suppose.

James Lowther said:
I thought we'd put out a moratorium on the use of 'lighten up' . Anyway, Andrew, I was really only making the point that actively pursuing vagrants, (some of which you would probably have seen thousands of times in Britain) in another country seems to be a spectacular waste of money, and could lead people to suggest you 'get a life' ;) . Wouldn't you rather spend it having a go at phoebe snetsinger's record world list?
Anyway, this is getting off-topic somewhat, but that's my fault i suppose.
No worries James. Indeed and it is not even a starter as there is more chance of me beating Pheobe's record on my meagre funds than winning the Lotto! ;)

Back to the thread.

Tero said:
Storage or funding problem?

Funding - having recently just blown £900 on new optics. Although storage will also be a problem as I read a lot, not just about birding.

Stuff the funding and storage - I've just found a pristine copy of 'The Big Year' in a secondhand bookshop for a fiver!!! :bounce:

Last edited:
Andrew said:
My next one is a British book, 'Best Days with British Birds' and it is a collection of stories from birders recurring their exciting sessions/days/twitches. Hope it lives up to my expectations.
Hmm... Don't think it will...

I started reading The Big Year last night and so far I'm very impressed with it. Reading it with a North American field guide to hand is a fun way of getting a vicarious thrill!

Bluetail said:
Hmm... Don't think it will...
Read it and only fifty percent of the stories were thrilling with the rest being mediocre and one even being so technical that I skipped it when my eyes were starting to drop. I must admit that I was glad to read the exciting bits.

When I finished it I was stuck for a book. Browsing the flat's (on Scilly) bookshelf I found 'The Confessions of a Scilly Birdman' about David Hunt and sped through it like a hot knife through butter. It was that good!

Just to bring this one up to date, the book is now available from those pureyors of cheap books - The Book People for £2.50 + p&p or part of a 5 books for £10 special

I got it for easter from my beloved, as well as chocolate!

Good in parts, obnoxious in parts, I routed for Mr Miller, as he was skint to begin with, became skinter, and did a big year whilst working weekdays! - his total was tremendous.

I just wish I'd heard of half of the birds so as to relate to them, I must admit I chuckled smugly when the Mega Wood Sandpiper turned up (among other brit/european regulars).

Surely someone out there will do the UK big year equivalent? - not an out of print diary or memoir, but a serious concentrated effort. After all the area to cover is tiny in comparison. - Before anyone asks, I'd do it myself but can't imagine the clamour for a copy of "How I hit 100 in a year"

Anyway if in doubt - get the Big Year from the Bookpeople (join online)

Steve

I got the book as a Christmas present and finished it before New Years. Loved it. I did my own version of a big year last year and came up with 494. Sounds like a lot, but between working in Mexico, a few months in the States and then finishing up in Venezuela, I really had lots to choose from.

But after reading the book and seeing the extremes these folks went to along with the planning they put into it, I realized the effort that it took to do a real "Big Year". I thought it was brilliant.

Well sorry Marek, but that makes you the better birder imho, not only that but the rest are bird-buyers lol.

Saved you a few bob too;-)

Just finished this one .... hmmm, what to say ? ...glad it read it & i thought it was ok in a 7 out of 10 way, but glad it was from the library and not something i paid for as i'm not likely to read it again. Funny in places, the canoe trip especially so. Fascinating in places, alaska especially so. But (and this is proabably as i don't go chasing birds myself) i couldn't really relate to the characters or the story itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back