• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the bird feeder was busy today (3 Viewers)

The Eastern and Western Bluebirds were in serious decline due to habitat loss and large increases in the population of the invasive Starling and House Sparrow, and most US authorities do credit well-maintained Bluebird boxes as responsible for the resurgence of the species.

On legality: House Sparrows (along with European Starlings) are considered by US law to be an invasive foreign species and there are no federal prohibitions on trapping and humanely killing, disturbing the nests, removing the eggs, etc. of those birds. (All other wild birds are protected by international treaty and US law.) ("Active" control, such as trapping, may require state-level permits, but I'm pretty sure nest and egg removal is allowed everywhere.)

The routine monitoring of Bluebird nesting boxes is not considered "wildlife rehabilitation" for the purpose of requiring legal permits, as long as one does not actually touch the eggs or any birds except Starlings or Sparrows.

The Eastern and Western Bluebirds were in serious decline due to habitat loss and large increases in the population of the invasive Starling and House Sparrow, and most US authorities do credit well-maintained Bluebird boxes as responsible for the resurgence of the species.

The routine monitoring of Bluebird nesting boxes is not considered "wildlife rehabilitation" for the purpose of requiring legal permits, as long as one does not actually touch the eggs or any birds except Starlings and Sparrows

so in simple terms if i have a nest of house sparrows in my roof i can remove them humanely because they are invasive and not protected but if i'd happen to find say bluebird or any native bird nest and i checked on it everyday and took photos but did not touch the eggs or birds its completely legal.

On legality: House Sparrows (along with European Starlings) are considered by US law to be an invasive foreign species and there are no federal prohibitions on trapping and humanely killing, disturbing the nests, removing the eggs, etc. of those birds. (All other wild birds are protected by international treaty and US law.) ("Active" control, such as trapping, may require state-level permits, but I'm pretty sure nest and egg removal is allowed everywhere.)

only problem i have is dose egg removal still not contribute to decline? you have all native birds protected but you can remove eggs? I mean you get lots of ppl out there stealing eggs for whatever reason can easily put a species in serious trouble so i think that would be something i would want to change if that is indeed true. If i trying to help a species not become in trouble that last thing i want is ppl is removing eggs and nests. Unless ("but I'm pretty sure nest and egg removal is allowed everywhere.") was meant only or sparrows then i got everything you said

I assume that "well maintained" doesn´t mean daily visits of the nest of bluebirds nor disturbing breeding birds due to opening of the nestbox, touching chicks and taking photos. All illegal acts which this woman is advertising !I did quote it in post 13
MYTH: If you open the bluebird box, or touch the nest or babies, the parents will abandon the nest.
REALITY: Don't worry that monitoring will make the parents desert the nest. Bluebirds are very tolerant of human presence. Touching the nest or birds will not make the birds leave--your mother just told you that to keep you from harassing them.

[...](All other wild birds are protected by international treaty and US law.) ("Active" control, such as trapping, may require state-level permits, but I'm pretty sure nest and egg removal is allowed everywhere.)
I know many ringers worldwide, but I don´t know a single ringer who does NOT need or keep a permit after finishing his ringer training that he/she can trap birds.
As already quoted in post 19, how can somebody suggest to trap not native House Sparrows in a trap which will catch birds of any species??? And how can they even write "one SHOULD release native birds from the trap" instead to note that it´s illegal to catch native species without permit.!!!??
I assume those self-appointed bluebird rescuers don´t care much about active law?? The only thing what they have in mind is "the more dead House Sparrows, the better.
The routine monitoring of Bluebird nesting boxes is not considered "wildlife rehabilitation" for the purpose of requiring legal permits, as long as one does not actually touch the eggs or any birds except Starlings or Sparrows.
I took part in a nation wide breeding monitoring, not once it was of need to take photos of the nest or te chickens or to visit the nesting area!

Last edited:
You are reading a lot into my post that I didn't write. I never said it was a good idea to open the Bluebird boxes daily, handle the chicks (in fact, I specifically said this was illegal), take photos, etc.

All I said was:
- Routine box monitoring is legal and does not require a permit anywhere in the US. (As a side-note, an unmonitored Bluebird box, even if it manages to avoid being taken over by House Sparrows, will eventually accumulate too many used nests and will no longer be usable. And of course if any birds die inside the box, it also won't be usable again until cleaned.)
- The destruction of House Sparrow and European Starling eggs and nests does not require a permit.
- States may require a trapping license or a license to kill live birds, no matter the bird species, but there are no Federal prohibitions against such activities as they relate to House Sparrows and European Starlings. (Unless you plan on mucking around on Federal land, the US Govt. leaves enforcement details to the states.)

You are reading a lot into my post that I didn't write. I never said it was a good idea to open the Bluebird boxes daily, handle the chicks (in fact, I specifically said this was illegal), take photos, etc.
[...]
No mate, I was just pointing at things (from the mentioned websites!) which I, or any other responsible birder, doesn´t appreciate.
B :)

I completely agree i see no reason to open boxes everyday just for pics or handle babies and so on and i feel that goes for all birds not just bluebirds

In the link posted earlier in this thread This caught my attention"Last year I photographed in a Gilbertson box from egg to empty nest every day up through a late fledging" I feel that this is extremely Stressful to the birds I mean they already have a full time job raising chicks and fending off natural predators now you opening the box everyday just for a few pics for what i feel is her own entertainment and nothing to do with the well being of the birds

Haven't been to this forum for a while, but enough heresy and blabbing about what's happening on another continent from overly opinionated blowhards. Here's what just happened on another forum of what house sparrows do with graphical evidence.

Forumer has bluebird boxes, tree swallow starts to build nest, male house sparrow comes later and go in and out of nestbox, next day this is what's in the box.

View on opening the box: http://scaryyankeechick.com/pictures/birds/dts/2014-04-21_19-10-47_2.jpg

Different angle: http://scaryyankeechick.com/pictures/birds/dts/2014-04-21_19-11-03_378.jpg

Close up: http://scaryyankeechick.com/pictures/birds/dts/2014-04-21_19-11-14_831.jpg

Out of the box: http://scaryyankeechick.com/pictures/birds/dts/2014-04-21_19-12-20_179.jpg

Close up: http://scaryyankeechick.com/pictures/birds/dts/2014-04-21_19-12-20_179a.jpg

Next day forumer watched the house sparrow in the act of trying to kill another swallow, swallow managed to escape.

Same thing happened to a bluebird and the babies last year.

Last edited:
Very busy today....*I need a rest * I am just waiting for the Starling Evasion....3:)

At this rate when they do arrive, i will declare myself bankrupt.

Quite a few blackbird chicks...they are soo cute...really adapting well..just hope the demon Cats across the road stay away!...:C

Also the blue tits look tired out...

The Sparrows are eating so much lately..they keep fighting with each other why?..:-C i love them, so chirpy birds .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back