• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The D7100 has landed (1 Viewer)

It depends on what you value most, RAW fps or burst time till buffer full.

The D7100 buffer 6 frames @ 6fps. Total burst time of 1 sec.

The D300s buffers 20 frames @7fps 12-bit RAW. Total burst time of 2.85sec

The D600 buffers 27 frames @5.5fps 12-bit RAW. Total burst time of 4.9sec

I think only the D3s/D4 have longer burst times.

Sounds great, which lens u using with it?

i live in France but bought the D7100 in the UK - the only lens I had with me was the Nikon 70 300mm f4.5/f5.6 VR ..... I took a couple hundred of JPEG shots down at a nature reserve yesterday. Good light so no problems with the speed - only used the x1.3 in camera crop mode, hand held ...... the little blighters were some distance away ......... I have read that 24 megs do show up the lesser quality Nikon lens as being lacking ....... so disappointed....... and I only have my MacBookPro with me

The D7100 seems smaller than the D300 ...... but you quickly get used to that.
AF tracking of birds in flight seemed (more) effective

I am almost "wedded" to the D300 ........ so not sure

Will not be able to comment constructively until I stick my Nikon 300mm f4 on the end of it and maybe use the combo on a tripod......... sometime next week.

I am not "overwhelmed" as I was when I first got the D300 some years ago ...... but I have not given it a chance yet

Last edited:
All,

I'm off to New York City at the weekend and so thinking about trading in my D90 for either a bargain-priced D7000 or coughing up a bit more for the D7100.

My camera mainly gets used hand held with my 300mm f4 af-s lens, sometimes in low light, and often for fast-moving passerines (eg phylloscopus warblers), and sometimes with a 1.4 TC. I also use a V1 for more distant work.

I know that the high ISO performance and the AF performance are supposed to be better in the D7100 than the D7000, but how marginal is this difference between these two cameras, especially if coming from a D90? - is the move from D90 ->D7000 a "giant leap" and the move from D7000 -> D7100 more of a "baby step"?

Also, does the additional 1.3x cropping facility of the D7100 give me more focus points on my subject?

Thoughts please!

Very best wishes,

Dave

, but how marginal is this difference between these two cameras, especially if coming from a D90? - is the move from D90 ->D7000 a "giant leap" and the move from D7000 -> D7100 more of a "baby step"?

Also, does the additional 1.3x cropping facility of the D7100 give me more focus points on my subject?

Thoughts please!

Very best wishes,

Dave

D90 to D7000 is reasonable upgrade, going to D7100 will be big upgrade.

The 1.3 crop mode will be nice for faster flying birdies.

If I was you, I would get D7100.

Regards

All,

I'm off to New York City at the weekend and so thinking about trading in my D90 for either a bargain-priced D7000 or coughing up a bit more for the D7100.

My camera mainly gets used hand held with my 300mm f4 af-s lens, sometimes in low light, and often for fast-moving passerines (eg phylloscopus warblers), and sometimes with a 1.4 TC. I also use a V1 for more distant work.

I know that the high ISO performance and the AF performance are supposed to be better in the D7100 than the D7000, but how marginal is this difference between these two cameras, especially if coming from a D90? - is the move from D90 ->D7000 a "giant leap" and the move from D7000 -> D7100 more of a "baby step"?

Thoughts please!

Very best wishes,

Dave

The D7100's high ISO performance isn't enormously better than the D7000 pixel-for-pixel, but its higher pixel density makes the noise finer-grained at most magnifications short of 100%. AF performance is significantly better; I'm getting a higher keeper rate with the 300mm f/4 & 1.4X TC on the D7100 than I did with the D7000, even when I compensated for my particular D7000's buggy autofocus system. All in all, I'd say it's worth shelling out for the D7100 for the AF performance alone; you get a few other smaller but welcome improvements as well, such as a locking mode dial, the "OK" button zoom function (it seems trivial, but it makes reviewing shots to see if you nailed focus much easier), and WiFi support with the WU-1a.

With the 1.3X crop, the focus points cover virtually the entire frame. See also DPReview's illustration of the focus coverage: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7100/12

The D7100 does not come with a plastic cover for the rear viewing window as other Nikons do. There is no groove to add one either. I think that getting the rear screen scratched up will not be a good thing. Comments on this?

The D7100 does not come with a plastic cover for the rear viewing window as other Nikons do. There is no groove to add one either. I think that getting the rear screen scratched up will not be a good thing. Comments on this?

This seems to be a modern move on the part of Nikon.
It seems a more scratch resistant glass is being used.
If you are concerned, self adhesive http://www.amazon.de/atFoliX-Nikon-D7100-Displayschutzfolie-kristallklare/dp/B00BOVRSCC/ref=sr_1_1?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1369026542&sr=1-1&keywords=displayschutzfolie+nikon+d7100transparent covers can be bought for $10.-

I would not worry about that
If it get scratched, it get scratched and does not effect anything

I never bother with these "add ons" any more and even stopped buying UV filters for my lens a couple of years ago ... they just get in the way

(Never put a screen protector on my Leica either)

Last edited:
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the D7100 to replace my ancient D70. It arrived a few days ago & so far I've been very pleased with its performance. Here are a couple of photos taken today at a local lake.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/9316516117/in/photostream (gull)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/9316780473/in/photostream/ (egret)

Both shots handheld and moderately cropped & sharpened in PE Elements. Lens: 300mm Nikkor f4 + TC14EII. Exposure: f5.6 at 800iso.

Thanks for sharing, enjoy your new camera - its a major step up from the D70 - and much more of a pleasure to use (also an ex D70 owner).

Here are two of the photos I uploaded to the gallery. Nikon D7100, with Sigma 300mm f2.8, aperture priority, iso 400, 1/4600, f8 for the fluffed up osprey and iso 500, 1/2000, f6.3 for the osprey eating. Having photographed these same birds with the same lens and my Nikon D7000 last year, I can definitely see an improvement in image quality.

Very nice Nancy. It's looking like a good buy.
Neil.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the D7100 to replace my ancient D70. It arrived a few days ago & so far I've been very pleased with its performance. Here are a couple of photos taken today at a local lake.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/9316516117/in/photostream (gull)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/9316780473/in/photostream/ (egret)

Both shots handheld and moderately cropped & sharpened in PE Elements. Lens: 300mm Nikkor f4 + TC14EII. Exposure: f5.6 at 800iso.

I have moved from the D90 to the D7100, and whilst I have not yet had much time to use it, the BIG difference that I have noticed is the AF performance when using my 1.4 TC on my 300mm f4 AF-S lens - it is MUCH move responsive and accurate than the D90 was. I am sure you are finding this as well if you have moved from the D70.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi-Speed Memory Cards ...... Holy Grail for limited buffer ??

Folks, general question here:-

Do users /prospectors, think that the advent of 240MB/s (Read) UHS-II SD class cards (such as the upcoming Toshiba) will have any effect, or be a viable solution to the limited buffer capacity?

What would you expect real world performance to be like with such a set-up? Thanks.

Chosun :gh:

I have moved from the D90 to the D7100, and whilst I have not yet had much time to use it, the BIG difference that I have noticed is the AF performance when using my 1.4 TC on my 300mm f4 AF-S lens - it is MUCH move responsive and accurate than the D90 was. I am sure you are finding this as well if you have moved from the D70.

Indeed I am, the AF improvement being absolutely startling and enough on its own to justify the cost of the upgrade.

like others i bit the bullet earlier this week ,just had a read through this thread from the start and some of the assume before buying made me laugh .
i have sold a d7000 and a d300s to fund this so it had to be right .i refrained from selling them till i had tested the 7100 ,they were on e/bay within two days .
i use a 300mm f4 and have 1.4 and 1.7 tc's and well used to using them .
right the camera is far far sharper than anything i have used before ,the smaller buffer has not caused any problems at all so far (i use class 10 cards) .
there are some points of interest with this camera though ,the metering system is far superior any previous nikon i have owned and totally spot on the mark ,so be carefull with exp compensation .
the crop mode after reading other peoples views on it and having had a v1 i thought it would be a gimmick ,its not and the easy adjust makes it a invaluable tool .a word of warning and i have realised after reading through the thread i now know why i thought the a/f was a bit jittery at first .its not its spot on but if i'm using either t.c in crop mode the effective focal length doubles so hand held shots with the 1.7 are in reality hand held at 1000mm .

he camera is a dream to use once you realise its not a beginners machine and even for experienced nikon users theres a steep learning curve ..

very glad i got it and its already pulled a few super shots up and if you can fill that 1.3 crop mode you have a 15mp image to play with .

heres a couple of starter shots
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/9369722273/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/9367225359/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/9372511060/

Last edited:
I recently got a d7100 and I'm more than pleased with it, I considered going full frame with the d600 I trialled one for a week and although the results were slightly better than the d7100 was it enough for me to upgrade from dx to fx no, I'd have to sell my dx lenses and buy lenses that are hugely expensive for the fx it was just to close and the d7100 is more than adequate for my needs

i found out a little tip for us wildlife toggers the other night ,i have been less than impressed with the metering finding it more akin to a canon than a nikon in that respect .and most subjects shot with longer lenses coming out exposed to the right way to far .although initially impressed with metering it wasn't consistent enough for my liking .( please note this applies mainly to longer lenses)
if you look in your manual page 236 re section B5 metering it tells you how to fine tune each exp mode to optimal values ,i have set my matrix metering to minus 2 or on the camera it comes up as - 2 over 6 .
this has helped enormously with shutter speeds and iso values with pics once again looking like normal nikon RAW files rich and contrasty ,now tried and tested over a few days and it works well.
.as others have said a/f is also a dream .as here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/9394541588/lightbox/

and heres another shot taken in the rain at 6 p.m last night ,overcast skies ,2800 iso .see what i mean about rich contrasty files ,might not be to everyones taste but it works for me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31671466@N07/9410558352/in/photostream/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back