• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ethereal Bino Book (1 Viewer)

WJC

Hi All:

I am going through my “ethereal” binocular book for the next to last time. I am removing the superfluous junk that got twisted into it as I kept trying the please the various publishing houses I approached with the m/s.

With so much on my plate already, and the realization looming that I am not getting any younger, I have totally lost the desire to turn the book into something it was never intended to be and weaken the salient points that, as written, will probably be more memorable than they would had I homogenized the work into what which would please the editors. “See Spot run may be a great concept,” but it’s already been done by everybody and his brother … for years. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, but rather, give the audience a whole new concept of wheel—one they’ve yet to see.

As a writer, you need not tell me about the stigma of self-publishing. But, I’m sick of trying to reinvent this thing to make others—who don’t know my intentions or market—happy.

If I sold one to everyone on the planet who needed one, I still wouldn’t get rich, and while I loved the effort, it’s time for it to be out the door.

To that end, I have three questions for most the BF group.

The title:

* Should it be De-MYTH-tifying Binoculars, as it was always planned to be, or BINOCULARS in Fallacy and FACT. Also, I am certainly open for other suggestions.

* With photos and illustrations I am planning on it being about 200 pages. What should I price it at?

* Finally: So far I’ve left it conversational with contractions throughout. Some think that would make it seem amateurish. I think it makes it more friendly and memorable—especially with my use of quotes, anecdotes, and experiences. What do YOU guys think?

Thanks, :scribe:

Bill

Last edited:
* Should it be De-MYTH-tifying Binoculars, as it was always planned to be, or BINOCULARS in Fallacy and FACT. Also, I am certainly open for other suggestions.
De-MYTH-ifying Binoculars is a THWELL title. All I know about it is, put them in the hot water closet overnight. Another 199 pages on that?? Thyn-THAY-thun-al!

* With photos and illustrations I am planning on it being about 200 pages. What should I price it at?
$25 and not a penny less. Which nobody in his right mind would pay.

* Finally: So far I’ve left it conversational with contractions throughout. Some think that would make it seem amateurish. I think it makes it more friendly and memorable—especially with my use of quotes, anecdotes, and experiences. What do YOU guys think?
Man like I can't get with that conversational jive. You gotta move it upscale, at least about like a book on bar-b-q joints in south Mississippi. If you ain't snobbin', you ain't tryin'.

Seriously Bill, original title, $25, conversational. Bully! Looking forward to it.

Ron

De-MYTH-ifying Binoculars is a THWELL title. All I know about it is, put them in the hot water closet overnight. Another 199 pages on that?? Thyn-THAY-thun-al!

$25 and not a penny less. Which nobody in his right mind would pay.

Man like I can't get with that conversational jive. You gotta move it upscale, at least about like a book on bar-b-q joints in south Mississippi. If you ain't snobbin', you ain't tryin'.

Seriously Bill, original title, $25, conversational. Bully! Looking forward to it.

Ron

Thanks Ron:

I allas knewed you guys from Los Alamo would come through. Allas did, 'ceptin that one time bak in '36. Boy, that were a booger, weren't it? Actually, the big hero wuz Walt Disney. Haddened ben fer him, David Crockett would have been a footnote in history. Smallon' at that!

Bill

The title:

You can combine both by making one the title, and the other the subtitle. Generally, these types of titles cover three topics such as Binoculars Demystified: Facts, Figures and Fallacies.

Regarding photos... if you want this book to sell like hotcakes at a church fundraiser, ask Pier's sister-in-law, Anna, to pose on the cover, holding a pair of binoculars. Since guys will be the primary buyers, this will be a big draw.

As to price, do you want to be rich or famous? If the latter, price it at 99 cents. The cheaper it is, the more people will buy it. Besides, as a download, people will share it with their friends, so forget about making money with it as an e-book. If you intend to publish it as a print book, you will be lucky to recoup your investment. Printing is expensive.

To this question, I unfortunately, cannot speak, being an android.

Brock

The title:

You can combine both by making one the title, and the other the subtitle. Generally, these types of titles cover three topics such as Binoculars Demystified: Facts, Figures and Fallacies.

Regarding photos... if you want this book to sell like hotcakes at a church fundraiser, ask Pier's sister-in-law, Anna, to pose on the cover, holding a pair of binoculars. Since guys will be the primary buyers, this will be a big draw.

As to price, do you want to be rich or famous? If the latter, price it at 99 cents. The cheaper it is, the more people will buy it. Besides, as a download, people will share it with their friends, so forget about making money with it as an e-book. If you intend to publish it as a print book, you will be lucky to recoup your investment. Printing is expensive.

To this question, I unfortunately, cannot speak, being an android.

Brock

Great, now you choose to be silent. . . . TURKEY! :'D

Bill:

I would think a price of $25 will be a good place to be on a book like that.

I don't care for the titles you've picked so far, so keep up with more ideas. We all have
our opinion. I would buy a regular book, no e-books here.

We conversed about self-publishing, lots of printers out there. Print up a bunch, and see how
sales go, mail them out by media mail. You can always print more.

Good luck with the project.

Jerry

I know even less about publishing than I know about
binoculars, birding, astronomy;
but you publish, and I will buy

the important part is the author's name
as that guarantees the content

edj

I like the second title, but I think you should write in standard, grammatical English, and stay away from the "folksy" style.

At 200 pages, your $25 is about right I think. A current, rather well known hunting writer named John Barsness recently self published his second book on Hunting Optics (Deep Creek Press, see riflesandreciepies.com) at that size with photos for about that price. As for the title, if voting for one, I'd opt for the second. But a combination might be in order perhaps something along the lines of "Binoculars, the Facts, the Fiction, and the Myth"

I agree with Steve. I like his title or a variation of it like "BINOCULARS: Facts, Fiction and Myth and How to Choose One." Or don't put "How to Chose One" in the title, instead make it a separate chapter. Of course you might also want something like "Understanding and Using Binoculars for Birdwatching and Other Activities."

Whatever! I'll buy it!:t:

I imagine that the problem will be with finding a "self" publisher for your book. I think in the old days they were given the name "Vanity Press." Times have changed as you well know. I googled Deep Creek Press and got minimal information about it but people apparently are using it as Steve notes.

A guy named Alexander White self publishes "how to use" camera guide books under White Night Press. I bought the one he wrote on the Nikon Coolpix P520 and it was a big help to me. He has both e-books and print books. I ordered mine through Barnes & Noble.

http://whiteknightpress.com/

Bob

Last edited:
Bill:

My quick advice:
-You do not need to think of the price, unless you are going to sell this book online yourself; the publishing house will set the price for your book even w/o consulting with you---at least this was true for all the books that I have published (not about binoculars though....)
-The title should be short and eye-catching, but short is more important----the publisher will be able to advise you about title too.
-The most important thing is to find the NICHE for your book: there are several other binoculars books out there, and some new ones that will be published in the near future, so what is it that's new in yours? The publishing house will want to know that to determine the market for your book, and it will be the main factor in their decision on accepting it. Maybe the conversational style that you mentioned is one of its unique features? At any rate, you should try by all means to avoid verbose writing.

Good luck with your book project!

Peter.

Bill:

My quick advice:
-You do not need to think of the price, unless you are going to sell this book online yourself; the publishing house will set the price for your book even w/o consulting with you---at least this was true for all the books that I have published (not about binoculars though....)
-The title should be short and eye-catching, but short is more important----the publisher will be able to advise you about title too.
-The most important thing is to find the NICHE for your book: there are several other binoculars books out there, and some new ones that will be published in the near future, so what is it that's new in yours? The publishing house will want to know that to determine the market for your book, and it will be the main factor in their decision on accepting it. Maybe the conversational style that you mentioned is one of its unique features? At any rate, you should try by all means to avoid verbose writing.

Good luck with your book project!

Peter.

To All:

Thanks guys; keep it coming.

Maybe an ebook, once I get a few of the real deals out the door.

When I said self-publish, I really meant SELF-publish. I still have the equipment from my publishing days, and I’m tired of jumping through the hoops placed before me by the better companies. If it sells, it sells. If not, at least I can reclaim what’s left of my life. As it stands now, it just needs to be out the door.

Peter, I know a publisher can advise me. Yet, win-lose-or-draw, I know what I want to say, how I want to say it, and my audience. I just need to do it. WHAT COLOR IS YOU PARACHUTE is one of the most successful books of the last 45 years. It started as a self-published book in 1970.

I went to bed at 2:30 last night trying to read 145 pages of the history of Ross of London. The research needs to end.

I plan to provide an on-demand printer the finished product and buy 100 copies to mail out. Of course, that’s not really the way to go but this thing has been a taskmaster for the past 14 years … “while my guitar gently weeps.” I am tired of it being an “ethereal” book and embarrassment.

Bill

To All:...

I went to bed at 2:30 last night trying to read 145 pages of the history of Ross of London. The research needs to end.

Bill

So does research on something like that ever really end? If it was me, it would not be two days later I'd think of something I should have said. But yeah, at someplace you have to just do it.

Whatever you forget to say, or what you call it, I'll buy one..or three.

So does research on something like that ever really end? If it was me, it would not be two days later I'd think of something I should have said. But yeah, at someplace you have to just do it.

Whatever you forget to say, or what you call it, I'll buy one..or three.

I KNOW what you mean. Of course, it never ends. AND I will be asking folks to offer up anything I might have missed for a second addition. I won't be writing that Leupold MANUFACTURES binoculars, how anyone can collimate their bino with a screwdriver, or how this or that book is the "bible" of binoculars, but I certainly want it to be beneficial.

There will be no simpish recommendations for which bino to buy for any purpose; the reason will be explained in the book.

Bill

Bill: I know exactly what you mean---everything is ripe and ready, and you're feeling you are going to blow up if you don't get it "out of you/your mind". Been there done that, so I fully understand you. The publication process at a well-known/important publishing house is a very long one---it may take many many months, maybe one year, and you might not have the patience to wait that long. Self publication must be much faster; another advantage of it is that you can implement revisions, as you go, in a new printout. The main drawback is that you do not have the network of sellers/dealers that a big publisher has. But in your case that might not be a big problem, as you are well know here on the forum and many members will be interested in your book; however there are many other potentially buyers out there that never read these posts---how are you going to reach them?////Peter.

I KNOW what you mean. Of course, it never ends. AND I will be asking folks to offer up anything I might have missed for a second addition. I won't be writing that Leupold MANUFACTURES binoculars, how anyone can collimate their bino with a screwdriver, or how this or that book is the "bible" of binoculars, but I certainly want it to be beneficial.

There will be no simpish recommendations for which bino to buy for any purpose; the reason will be explained in the book.

Bill

I have no doubt it will be beneficial. The who manufactures the thing and where seem to really have assumed an outsized importance. Maybe a chapter on Conformational bias, from the link posted by Mono the other day.

however there are many other potentially buyers out there that never read these posts---how are you going to reach them?
You can of course rely on the power of word of mouth!
I thought I should also add that financially-wise self-publication should be a no-brainer: royalty fees are 10-15%, whereas they should close to 100% (minus the production cost) for self-publishing.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back