• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (6 Viewers)

Twitching Todd's Canada Goose in Lancashire led to a week long road trip round Wales and back to Bristol looking for ladybirds in random stops and parkups. I added 4 ladybirds to the yearlist bringing it to 25:-

11-spot Ladybird (one at Flint Castle).

Four-spotted Nephus (one in a car park at a toilet stop further west along the coast).

Red-patched Nephus (one at Newborough Forest on Anglesey was a lifer)

5-spot Ladybird ( one on the Wye by the bridge at Glasbury).

Ladybird #26 for the year found today: Dot Ladybird. Two of them in a Bristol garden where I found them last year, in the same two locations within the garden (Ivy-covered tree trunk and a small bay leaf bush)

Ladybird #27 for the year, and #32 for the lifelist: Larch Ladybird. Found in a young Larch on the central reservation of the Bristol ring road by UWE campus. Pics on the UK ladybird Facebook group

Ladybird 28 for the year 33 for the lifelist: Striped Ladybird, two found today (and a 10-spot) in a pine tree near the Stejneger's and White-winged Scoter twitch site in Scotland😃
Great going! If you are doing the grey-headed lapwing, there seem to be good ladybird sites near Newcastle. Havannah nature reserve, for example. Just as a matter of interest, do you report your sightings somewhere?

Great going! If you are doing the grey-headed lapwing, there seem to be good ladybird sites near Newcastle. Havannah nature reserve, for example. Just as a matter of interest, do you report your sightings somewhere?
Thanks for tip. I was contemplating doing more ladybirding after the lapwing. But we're an exhausted van load heading home and I'm the only ladybird enthusiast in the vehicle 😆.

Re reporting, I've been reporting my Bristol sightings but I've been slack about the few notable sightings I've had elsewhere. Especially as most of those aren't photographed.

I'm the only ladybird enthusiast in the vehicle 😆.
Yes, well that would make things tricky! And I guess that made it hard to spend time taking photos, too. I photographed an 'inconspicuous ladybird' today only to find that it was a water beetle (about 3mms long).

Attachments

• Haliplus beetle ex  ex P5070019_edited.jpg
    Haliplus beetle ex ex P5070019_edited.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 2
Just found a 4-spotted Nephus on the same ivy-covered tree trunk as last year, so it appears that this species and Red-flanked Scymnus have established themselves at effectively "twitchable" spots within 50m of each other near my house.

I'm getting more ladybirds but so far not much variety. This p.m. in my garden: 24-spot, 22-spot, heather x 3 (two started mating in my net); R chrysomeloides x 2.

Attachments

• heather ladybirds ex P5130025_edited.jpg
    heather ladybirds ex P5130025_edited.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 2
  • R chrysomeloides ex P5130063_edited.jpg
    R chrysomeloides ex P5130063_edited.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 2
  • 22-spot ladybird ex P5130021_edited.jpg
    22-spot ladybird ex P5130021_edited.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 24-spot ladybird ex P5130036_edited.jpg
    24-spot ladybird ex P5130036_edited.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Just found a Forestier's Rhyzobius in a rose bush in the garden! That's ladybird #30 for the year and I still haven't seen a Cream-spot 😀!

Nice to see a Spotted Marsh Ladybird roaming about out in the open in the Reeds at the local pond today. Up until today my only sightings this year have been of hidden overwintering ones.

Mostly distracted by Odonata and birds on my visit so not much actual ladybirding done.

My first 'lifer' of the year today. Sweeping a wildflower meadow I found at least three 'Meadow ladybirds' (Rhyzobius litura).

Attachments

• Rhyzobius litura ex P5180060_edited.jpg
    Rhyzobius litura ex P5180060_edited.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 2
  • Rhyzobius litura ex P5180070_edited.jpg
    Rhyzobius litura ex P5180070_edited.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Rhyzobius litura ex P5180075_edited.jpg
    Rhyzobius litura ex P5180075_edited.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Rhyzobius litura ex P5180077_edited.jpg
    Rhyzobius litura ex P5180077_edited.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Rhyzobius litura ex P5180085_edited.jpg
    Rhyzobius litura ex P5180085_edited.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 2
Nice one Ken, hopefully others to come 👍
Shouldn't be too difficult as I've only ever seen two species in addition to what I've observed in my garden! My main challenge is accessing suitable habitat round here, where even the woodland seems to be private - people don't like their pheasants and horses being disturbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back