• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (16 Viewers)

Shouldn't be too difficult as I've only ever seen two species in addition to what I've observed in my garden! My main challenge is accessing suitable habitat round here, where even the woodland seems to be private - people don't like their pheasants and horses being disturbed.
I seem to have hit a wall. I visited a spot in the Forest of Dean with high hopes of lifers, and spent more than 4 hours intensively searching pine, gorse, heather, oak, and very short vegetation, with the result of finding only 13 Pine Ladybirds and no other species. Similarly hours spent searching oak and the small patch of heather habitat in Bristol has been fruitless. I don't know where to try next that's an easy day trip that might produce something I haven't seen yet 🤔.

At least the Forest of Dean site produced some nice incidental butterflies (Grizzled Skipper and Green Hairstreak) and birds (Wood Warbler, Redstart, Tree Pipit, Garden Warblers etc) while I was searching!

I don't know your part of the world so I'm afraid I cannot offer any suggestions. One of my ploys is to spend some time in Ashdown Forest when I can, as there is extensive heathland. I think there could be wood ant nests, plus lots of Scots Pines. At least you saw some good birds. I haven't seen a wood warbler for many a year now.

Two lifers today! Both found at Branksome Chine (Bournemouth) : an Angle-spotted Scymnus and five Scarce 7-spot Ladybirds. Pics on UK ladybirds Facebook group.

Note to people looking for Scarce 7-spots - the white under the "armpits" of the middle pair of legs can be harder to see than the white under the "armpits" of the front legs. So if you find a specimen with a likely looking elytral pattern, DO persevere with looking for those white spots!

Note for people looking for the metasternal groove on an Angle-spotted Scymnus - I found this extremely difficult to see with a 10 x hand lens, but discovered after a lot of effort that it IS possible to see it.

Really excited to have just found a male Oak Scymnus in Eastville Park in Bristol. A lifer for me, so my 36th species, and 33rd so far this year. Now to try and get some pics with my new camera....

This find has only come after bashing many oaks in Bristol and elsewhere. And it was in a tree I'd tried a couple of times before. Quite a large Oak with some low hanging branches at the edge of a wooded water course.

Surprising new one for the patch today: an Angle-spotted Scymnus, 29th sp for the 4x4 km patch in Bristol (pics on UK ladybirds Facebook group).

I have found virtually no suitable habitat for it on our patch, but it was swept from a very small area of low sparse veg on the slope up from the M32 where I've been finding Adonis Ladybird and commoner grassland species.

Finally scored my yearlist nemesis today, Cream-spot Ladybird. Found one in larval form in a Sallow on the Bristol patch. So that's #34 for the year...which is just 2 shy of my lifelist now.

I still won't be completely satisfied until I see a proper adult Cream-spot before the end of the year, but it's woken me up to looking at ID features on larvae in a bit more depth.

An unexpected 'lifer' for me - a cream-streaked ladybird in the middle of Lingfield village. I've been trying to keep an eye on a row of larches (most of which I cannot access). I found this larva on one of the few branches that overlaps the public pavement.

Attachments

• ladybird larva ex P6190001_edited.jpg
    ladybird larva ex P6190001_edited.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 1
An unexpected 'lifer' for me - a cream-streaked ladybird in the middle of Lingfield village. I've been trying to keep an eye on a row of larches (most of which I cannot access). I found this larva on one of the few branches that overlaps the public pavement.
Nice one Ken, hopefully you'll get to see adults too soon in the same tree.

I'm only just starting to get to grips with larvae, and I too found what I think was a Cream-streaked larva in a pine this morning. The only adult I found in that tree today was a Cream-streaked, but it's a tree that's produced a few species on previous visits, including lots of Harlequins and Cream-streaked.

Following my discovery of a cream-streaked larva, featured a few posts ago, on a larch tree in our village (on the pavement outside the BT Openreach former telephone exchange!), I went back a few days later. I asked an engineer in the establishment if I could look for insects in the larch trees as there are very few such trees locally. She said, 'Knock yourself out,' so I took that as a 'yes'.
After extensive searching and only finding one 7-spot pupa, I had one final look from the public pavement, where a couple of small branches hang over the fence, and where I had found the original larva. This time I found a pupa, which I brought home. That hatched (if that's the term) yesterday. It hasn't really coloured up but I decided to take the ladybird back so that it stands a chance of finding some aphids.
So I was very pleased, on looking on what I think is pretty much the same twig, to find two more larvae and a much more colourful adult. The pics more or less tell the story.

Attachments

• cream-streaked ex P6280063_edited.jpg
    cream-streaked ex P6280063_edited.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 2
  • cream-streaked ladybird ex P6280073_edited.jpg
    cream-streaked ladybird ex P6280073_edited.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 2
  • cream-streaked ladybird ex P6280084_edited.jpg
    cream-streaked ladybird ex P6280084_edited.jpg
    739.1 KB · Views: 2
Presume fairly regular(NELondon), however I’ve not seen one before, some sort of Harlequin?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7148.jpeg
    IMG_7148.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 7
Are Harlequins fairly obvious on size? I was just Googling the variation colour/ pattern wise and was really surprised at the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back