• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the nimitz trail, berkeley, ca (1 Viewer)

grebefeet9

elegant tern of phrase
november 10, 2011
the hike started out at about three o'clock, and an (unconfirmed) band tailed pigeon was sighted flying over the trailhead. we continued along, sighting an adult red-tailed hawk flying to its perch on an electrical tower. two western bluebird perched lower on the tower. a western scrub jay was sighted in some small trees. some first winter golden crowned sparrows flushed from the bushes. several yellow rumped warblers were seen throughout the hike. possible ruby crowned kinglet was seen in an oak surrounded by scrub. a small group of american? goldfinch were seen feeding in some weedy plants. in a shady thicket, a hermit thrush was seen on an exposed branch, and a possible fox sparrow was heard scratching in the same spot on the way back. on a nearby hilltop, an american kestrel was seen perched in a tall pine. a better view of a fox sparrow was obtained later, in some shrubs. "oregon" dark eyed juncos were seen on a weedy hillside back near the trailhead.

Could have been either; both American and Lesser live up there.

Did you find the Pygmy Nuthatches?
i didn't know they lived in this area! i'll look for them next time i'm there. there's a good pine grove, i might see them there. thanks for the tip.

Nimitz is the best place in the county for pygmies. Listen for the beeping noise in the pine groves (Somewhere out there, there is always a group of at least 8-10 birds. Sometimes that's the very first set of trees by the gate, sometimes you have to hike a mile and a half to the top of trail leading down to the Tilden Nature Area.)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back