• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Red nut bag phenomenon. (Siskins in the UK) (1 Viewer)

I had some siskins in our garden a day or two ago, but they were feeding on the alders at the bottom of the garden. I've now put out a red peanut feeder, so I'll be interested to see if that brings them in. I wonder whether redpolls ever come to feeders in the UK?
By coincidence I just noticed that the 'random photo' on the home page at the moment is of a common redpoll at a feeder in the US
See HERE

Last edited:
I've heard of Siskins coming down onto a busy high street to feed on red bags hanging outside a pet shop.... they are definately conditioned to the visual signal
I have a bright yellow niger seed feeder, available cheap off eagerbay. The Siskins and Goldfinches both like it. There were 2 Siskins on it today, 6th Feb. Have used the same feeder for 3 years, yellow is a definite bird-puller, possibly triggers some sort of Sunflower seed memory inside them?

I'm finding Siskin quite hard to find lately, in Test Valley and New Forest.
I'm seeing more Redpoll than Siskin, which is very weird round here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back