• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the washington birding news (1 Viewer)

i would be very interested to hear what you see in the washington area. I am from felling originally and often visited washi. i still come home when i can and go birding so and im always looking for good places to go birding. hope it goes well

Geordie

Good luck with this thread Matt although I think it might struggle for reports but you never know.
I only started birding this year so the only bird sites I know of in Washington are the WWT, Barmston Pond and my back garden which has attracted a credible 28 species so far this year.
If I see or hear anything worth reporting about birding in Washington I will post a message.

Well said sea hawk lol Where is barmston pond? Is it any good?is there anyother areas in washington that anyone knows about? WWT is quite good i always try to pop in there when icome up up home.They had avocets there didint they?

Geordie:t:

The water levels at Barmston Pond were quite high when I last called in a couple of weeks ago, so not very good for waders (if that comment does'nt bring in a rare wader I don't know what will!) but it can still attract decent numbers of Gulls, Ducks, Geese and Swans etc so always worth a look.

Shame about Barmston Pond it used to be the best place for waders in the county away from Teeside ,there has been a number of rare waders seen over the years at Barmston, such as Wilson's Phal ,Broad billed Sand and Lesser Yellowlegs Pectoral Sandpipers,also a Red throated Pipit was seen years ago.It is usually good for Wood Sandpiper,Green Sandpiper,Common Sandpiper and Greenshanks if the water level is right.Been very disappointing for waders again this year because of the water level .Something should be done about the water level to attract the waders back again every autumn.Always worth checking the gulls out at Barmston i have seen both white winged Gulls ,Med Gulls ,Little Gulls and YL Gulls, always a chance of a rare gull turning up such as a Ring billed Gull or a Laughing Gull.Also seen Crane and a Spoonbill at Barmston Pond.

Last edited:
Yes, I've only been birding about 4 years, but have Durham Bird Club Annual reports going back to the mid-70s - Barmston Pond, as Martin mentioned, has an amazing history - there were also nearby Black Woods (as we called them) I think they may be correctly known as Pepys Wood - these are now "out of bounds" as part of Nissan's private empire. There could be anything in there!

I think the pond & WWT are well watched, but lumped under the general Durham thread.

Avocet had bred successfully at WWT for the last 2 years nowB :)

For the benefit of Ayasuda, Washington is/was the Ancestral family home of President George - you may find this of interest.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-washingtonoldhall/

Cheers

Steve

i was at barmston pond yesterday.
there was herring gulls , black headed gulls , coots , moorhens , tufted ducks , pochards , wigeons , mallards , canada geese , little grebes , greylags.

hi mattall
just found this thread..
great idea hope it takes off
have already reported about my visit to wwwt today on the durham thread..
highlights were 200+ siskins around the reserve today.
will post more indepth reports about washington area on here in future and leave the highlights on durham..
all the best..
add a couple of pics but the light was bad..

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0211.JPG
    tn_IMG_0211.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 134
  • tn_IMG_0241.JPG
    tn_IMG_0241.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 129
So, one year on, as well as Avocet, was great to see a the pair of Garganey briefly sharing the same island - and a Little Ringed Plover "drop in" to add to the mix.

Hungry young Grey Heron were constantly being chased by Shelduck, Lapwing etc. as they hungrily eyed up some of the many chicks in the vicinity.

Anyone else notice the signpost for Barmston Mere.

I've just seen my first ever Buzzard flying over Washington at 17:50, I've lived here since 1974 off and on and have never seen one in the area before.

The photograph is quite poor as the sun was almost behind the Buzzard.

Attachments

• Washington Buzzard.jpg
    Washington Buzzard.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I've just seen my first ever Buzzard flying over Washington at 17:50, I've lived here since 1974 off and on and have never seen one in the area before.

The photograph is quite poor as the sun was almost behind the Buzzard.

hi what direction did it come from ? theres been a couple of buzzards knocking about follingsby lane / west pastures for a couple of years at least.
one sometimes roosts behind elescope farm, we have often seen them disapear over sulgrave ish way.:smoke:

hi what direction did it come from ? theres been a couple of buzzards knocking about follingsby lane / west pastures for a couple of years at least.
one sometimes roosts behind elescope farm, we have often seen them disapear over sulgrave ish way.:smoke:

The Buzzard was directly over Lambton village centre then headed west towards Ayton. I have no idea where it came from as I noticed it as soon as I got out of the car, it was circling so could have came from any direction. I lost sight of it when it headed into the sun but it must have gone towards Ayton as I would have seen it if it had of moved in a different direction.

It's the 4th January and I've just been watching a Carrion Crow snapping twigs off a tree and building a nest.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back