• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking about an Opticron MM4 Travelscope - but which one? (1 Viewer)

Peregrine Took

United Kingdom
Hello. I joined about a year ago and asked about gear back then, but with one thing and another I've not had the opportunity to further my birding interests.

Now that I'm looking again, I'd be grateful for your thoughts on a lightweight telescope to replace a Bushnell Spacemaster and complement my bins.

About me:
I'm a walker and canoeist that likes to look at birds (mostly in and around the Cotswolds where I live), rather than someone who'll go out of his way to spot birds. I'm lucky enough to have Peregrine's visit the skies over my garden, but I think bins are best for looking at those. I often find, when walking or canoeing, that I'd like a bit more reach than my Olympus 8x42 EXPS binoculars.

I do have a Bushnell Spacemaster that's about 30 years old, but it's heavy and hardly ever leaves the house (it did go to Skye to see Golden Eagles, so not totally neglected).

My Googling:
So I started out a few weeks ago looking at compact telescopes, or travelscopes - Kowa 501, Vortex Razor, Celestion Hummingbird, Hawke and Opticron MM3 / MM4. My budget has gently risen from a few hundred to about £800.00... maybe up to a grand.

I've narrowed it down to an Opticron MM4 or Nikon ED50, with an angled viewpoint, but the lack of availability of the latter favours Opticron.

My question now is:
Should I consider the Opticron MM4 60mm? Is it sufficiently lighter than the Bushnell? Is it much bigger than the MM4 50mm? Or should I stick to 50mm and maybe get a 77/80mm scope some time later?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
... and the more I read, the more I think I might go with a straight 50mm travelscope - just seems to me that 50% of the time it might be hand-held, so it'll be more instinctive when switching between bins and the scope. Feel free to convince me otherwise! Of course, this 'logic' won't apply if I go for the 60mm version.

Now, I'm a wanderer, and travel ultra light. On my pack sits an MM4 50 ED with SDLV 2 zoom. It is the angled version as I stop, set up the tripod and spend a while watching the world about me. At 24x magnification I have rarely in the last 4 years missed a thing I've wanted to see.

Small. Ultra light. Uber portable.

That said! My birding buddy has the MM4 50 STRAIGHT and has a 24x wide angle fixed lens on it. She also has a camera pistol grip and a sling point attached. 24x no tripod and has the benefit of being able to look down at the sea and faster to the eye.

If I were to choose, I'd say it depends on your style of birding. I stare UP at Raptors far far more than down at the sea.

Both straight and angled are stellar performers, and yes, I do often chuckle that the straight scope is up and on target as quick as binos.

Either way, I vote Opticron MM4 50ed whole heartedly.

I have the MM4 60mm as my holiday/travel ‘scope.
Light and fits in a small backpack with a lightweight tripod.
I intend to use it more as I age. Carrying my Swarovski 80mm ATS and a robust tripod for a full day on, for example, Scilly is getting to be a chore but it’s great when mooching around a reserve.

I had the MM4 60 with SDL 3 eyepiece and it’s a great setup. In the end I changed to the MM4 77 simply because if I’m carting a scope, tripod and my camera gear around, I appreciate a bit more magnification and brightness in my scope for not much more weight. But the 60 is a great scope and very good value. I haven’t tried the 50 or the Nikon.

As you're in the Cotswolds, you could visit the new In Focus showroom at Toghill House Farm near Wick to try all three of the MM4 scopes as they have them all in stock:

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Thanks for the replies so far. Given that I'm going to to use it while out walking, rather than watching for hours on end, I'm erring towards a straight 50mm. I might even go for a less expensive model and buy a 60mm or 77mm MM4 for dedicated birding trips. Opticron seems like a nice brand - I like that they are made in Japan, but I'll leave that comment there.

PS. Hi Pete. Our posts crossed. That's great info, thanks. I'll pay them a visit... might even get out today, after I've done a bit of DIY!

I'm wavering, aka obsessing.

Considering other makes, trying to figure out weight vs price vs quality:

• Nikon Fieldscope ED50, because I can't find a bad word said about it and it's quite light;
  • Kowa TSN 501 because it's super-light (and half the price of a Nikon) and if I'm only using it to identify a bird that's hard with my bins, it doesn't need to be uber quality;
  • Hawke Endurance ED, because it's the best value ED glass package around.

In addition to this 'little one'. I'll probably spend a grand or so on a good quality c.65mm scope next spring.

Please feel free to comment, advise, confuse...

So, if anyone's still interested, :giggle: I bought a Kowa TSN-501 today, on the basis that it's the lightest of the small travel scopes and likely to get more use. I figured it'll be plenty good enough, optically, for identification of birds beyond the reach of my bins; I'll save my super-critical eye, and money, for a full-sized scope to replace my old Bushnell in the new year. Kowa TSN-663 looks nice.

So, if anyone's still interested, :giggle: I bought a Kowa TSN-501 today, on the basis that it's the lightest of the small travel scopes and likely to get more use. I figured it'll be plenty good enough, optically, for identification of birds beyond the reach of my bins; I'll save my super-critical eye, and money, for a full-sized scope to replace my old Bushnell in the new year. Kowa TSN-663 looks nice.
Hi Peregrin took

I had a similar problem and went for a swarovski ctc 75. It's worked out well for me, hand helds ok ish if you use the strap at a certain length to help steady it. I now carry a small monopod with it but it's spot on if there's a tree or something to rest it against. Won't like it if you capsize the canoe with it though!

Back to square one.

The company I bought the Kowa from has told me it's not in stock - in spite of them listing it on eBay. I'm tempted to name and shame them, but I won't. In fairness, once they informed me and offered a refund, they did it instantly, on a Saturday evening at 10pm.

So, having had my order for a telescope cancelled, the dealer ended up doing me a favour. I ended up buying a pair of Nikon Monarch's M7 8x42, which I'll get tomorrow.

Telescope purchase on hold until the spring, but I'm now thinking Kowa TSN-663. Who knows what I'll be thinking in three months time. lol, as the young people say.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back