• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking about digiscoping (1 Viewer)

PhilW

Hi all

I'm looking for advice. After recently getting back into serious birding again (now the family are a bit more independent) I' looking for advice on digiscoping.

I recently purchaes a second hand Swarovski ATS 80HD and have an Olympus C-3000 digital camera (3.3 Megapixel & 3 x zoom).

Is it possible to use this camera with my 'scope. I read a thread recently whre some one was asking the question about the use of camera's with extending lense but can't seem to find it!

Can anyone offer help?
B :) B :)

Phil,

On behalf of all the Moderators and Admin, let me welcome you to Bird Forum.

On the subject of your camera's suitablity for digiscoping - as it has an external zoom, it is impossible to attach it to your scope with the widely available adapters made primarily for the Nikon cameras. However, other than hand-holding it, you can get a lens thread adapter for that particular camera and fit it to your scope using a different method.

If you take a look at the following thread you will see how I have set up my Canon G3 with a home-made adapter. You should be able to do something like this with your camera using the Olympus thread adapter.

Hi Phil,

I used to have a C2000Z which was of similar design to your C3000Z. Olympus do a CLA1 adapter also referred to as 'lens armour'. Other brands are available and sometimes a lot cheaper, but they all do the same job. You just need an adapter then to connect the camera to the scope. My CLA1 had a 46 mm thread. The C2000 had a fairly large lens on it which used to give a good bit of vignetting with the scope - that would be my only reservation about using the C3000Z. With more megapixels it should give better results and you can always use the zoom to reduce/remove vigneting. Obviously a scope with a wider eyepiece would be better - which from what I've seen, the Swarovski have. I'd say go for it !

As for digiscoping adapter, for trials you could hand hold the camera to the scope. Plenty of people still do and get excellent results - best on a bright sunny day. Else look at the threads as Diane says. I use a home made one too or else if getting good results, go for a commercial one such as the LCE.

Di / Ian

Many thanks for your replies. I'll certainly try Di's solution first before spending to much money on a custom adaptor.

I've seen a number of people hand-holding their cameras against their scopes but the results are very hit & miss.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

I've had reasonable results hand held (CP 995 + Swaro 65). To be honest, I can't be bothered with fiddling around with adapters, cable release etc. I don't go out to digiscope but I always carry the camera when I go birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back