• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking of buying a mobile trap for next year. (1 Viewer)

Andy1979

Hello fellow Lepidopterists.

I am very keen to get out and about next season and as such am hoping to buy a mobile trap. I can't afford a generator, and so am left with a 12v battery-operated trap as my only option.

I have bought all my moth-ing stuff from ALS in the past, but have discovered that Watkins and Doncaster offer a considerably cheaper Heath Trap.

The difference seems to be that ALS offers a 15w Heath Trap (with light sensor), 14ah battery and charger for £240.

Watkins and Doncaster offer a 6w Heath Trap (bucket design with light sensor), 12ah battery and charger for £160.

So, for a saving of £80 or £60 (for the 24ah battery) I get a 6w bulb rather than a 15w. Does anyone have experience using these or know how big-a-difference the extra 9w would make to a catch?

To date, I have only used my 125w MV Skinner trap.

Hi Andy

I've used a good range of traps/bulbs/tubes over the years. A 'standard' Heath with a 6 or 8 watt bulb is often a pretty poor catch unless you have optimal conditions, although it does ddo well for Geos and micros.

Have you considered wemlights?

I know of several people that have used them and they have the advantage of being low wattage but still giving a superior light output. The main one seems to be a 20w (energy-saving type bulb) that can be used direct from a 12v battery, or via the cigar lighter, with an inverter. I'm thinking about getting a set-up for my next Mallorcan visit (next week).

Martin

Last edited:
Hi Andy
I`ve got various mobile set-ups, mostly DIY jobs & have tried other options too so feel I can also offer some advice here. As Martin alluded, to the low wattage actinics give a fairly poor return, especially for the financial outlay you`re talking about. You say you cant afford a generator but have you considered a 2nd hand one. I recently bought a Honda EX650 on ebay for £150, an older suitcase model, not quite so light, but just as reliable & quiet as the modern day ones. After the initial outlay you would`nt really need anything else other than petrol, so it could well be your cheapest option ! You have all winter to look for one or a similar model.
Aside from my mains 125MV the other set-ups I have are the 20w Wemlite that Martin mentioned, this is handy as you can plug it straight into the mains & is good for taking abroad as all you need is the appropriate mains adapter & you can just hang it out of your accommodation window & see what comes on to the usually white painted walls.
I also have a 12v leisure battery, that via an inverter will run my 40w actinic, or, my preferred choice, a 50W MV bulb. I love this set-up, as it is silent & I feel safe in leaving it unattended all night (obviously in the right setting) + it gives good returns. The total outlay for this was c £180, which included DIY MV kit, battery, battery charger & inverter. I already had a tub to fit it in & plastic for vanes. If you go down this route do not be tempted to buy a cheaper car battery, it will not last, they are not designed to be discharged the way a leisure battery is & will soon die. I can testify to this ! The attached photos show my 40W actinic (with attendant T.alternalla) & the prototype of my 50W MV (note the car battery !), this has now been fitted into the tub in the previous photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Thanks Rob. I have had a look on ebay and there are a few generators on there. I like your set-ups, but you are obviously very handy, unlike me! I might try for a generator and then get a wemlight set up to mess around with. I didn't realise that you could run an MV from a battery, I thought it needed the mains to get going?

Hi Andy
To use an MV from a battery you would need an inverter, I forgot to mention this originally. These are available for between £20-£30. I`ve not tried my 125 on the battery yet but the 50 watt runs comfortably all night no problems.
I cant answer your second question as I`ve not run my genny that long yet, but I would have thought 5-6 hours on a full tank would be a good guess. Its a simple enough operation to top a genny up with petrol after a few hours in though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back