• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three this time (1 Viewer)

If that's an Olivaceous Warbler I'll show my a**e in Woollies window alongside Jane.
It's gotta be that dodgy third bird that I got wrong.

Well on the "mastermind principle" (rather than from looking at the photos)

Melodious
Ring-billed
Red Kite

hehehe if i`m right it shows guess work is as much use as knowledge!

One! Only One! Blah ,blah not playing anymore, daft mystery photos, rhubarb, no real indicator of skill, sulk!

Melodious (Confident)
Ring-billed (Fairly Confident)
Black-shouldered Kite (guess)

OK... lets finish this...

Melodious Warbler - look at the Yellow on the face. Its hard to prove its not an icky on this pic...with its wings hidden away, but I think the broom-handle bill is a good indicator and why greyish ones like this need to be looked at very hard.

Ring-billed Gull With its head tuned making it look a little more Common-like. It arrived with a partial tail band, but moulted it out. The wing structure, paleness of the grey bits, single primary spot and markings on the nape give it away, but I picked this shot out since it looked most like a Common Gull. Incidentally I think all white tails on 2nd winters aren't too rare. We had another one here a year or so back..that we watched from a 1st winter through to a white-tailed 2nd winter.

Black Kite
How on earth did you get that Michael. As I said I couldn't get it from the pic and I knew what it was. I was at Zahara (between Barbate and Tarifa) during the peak Kite passage. A few thousand had already gone over this particular morning. I was photoing them to get the variation in tail shape, since many where in moult. This one wasn't displaying, but it was avoiding the attentions of a Peregrine.

And the winner was.... Fifebirder....fortunately for shoppers in Woolies the first bird was not an Olivaceous Warbler and it wasn't a first attempt.

It was a September Melodious Tom. To be honest I've never found the leg colour to be that useful...one clear view of the primaries is much more useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back