• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three this time (2 Viewers)

Great fun Jane. Stick some more on if you've got any.
I agree with you about the legs infact I find judging and describing bare part colour in general extremely difficult and it can be amazing how a group of birders can have such wildly different descriptions of the same bird at the same time. Whilst watching a Western Bonelli's at Spurn recently me and a friend after 45 mins still couldn't put a colour to the legs as it seemed to change every 15 seconds!

Jane Turner said:

Black Kite
How on earth did you get that Michael.
Your saying the only detail visible from below being pale feet was a very good clue - there's not many birds that are uniformly dark below but with paler feet. Then also the comment that 'two right, one named to the correct order' - well obviously the warbler and the gull were already correct to genus, let alone family or order, so that left the third bird - and Black-shouldered Kite had been suggested, this bird had a shallow forked tail, and obviously wasn't a swift, swallow or pratincole. So I was left with Black Kite as the only realistic option that fitted all the above (and also that it was photo'd in Spain), holding its wings at a funny angle such as they do in display (or taking evasive action to avoid mobbing!). Red Kite I didn't think realistic, as the tail fork looked too shallow, and surely its pale primary patch would show, if the pale legs were visible.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back