• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush Cameron Highlands Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Steve.Jonesy

Hi is this a blue whistling thrush?
Doesn’t seem blue so really unsure
Many thanks on any guidance
Pic taken end of Jan in Brinchang

Attachments

• 7D20AFBD-C0C8-4B7A-8290-647CB8A3018D.jpeg
    7D20AFBD-C0C8-4B7A-8290-647CB8A3018D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
Surprising comment. I'd call the colour purple-blue - like a blue whistling-thrush is.
I guess I felt it was less vibrant! I was hoping it could be the endemic bird, the Malaysian whistling Thrush described as…
Dark bluish thrush-like bird. Found solely in the highlands of peninsular Malaysia. Lacks “spangled” look of Blue Whistling-Thrush. Found in hilly or montane forests, where it favours wet stony areas around streams or gullies.
I photo’d it next to a stream in Montane forest!

Last edited:
I th
I think it's Blue Whistling Thrush. The local subspecies is quite small iirc, and invites confusion with Malayan Whistling Thrush (which I seem to remember hearing might not even occur in the Cameron highlands)
I think it has been found there but I may be wrong. The race you mentioned is dichrorhyncus, which as you say is smaller and can look quite matt blackish , without much in the way of spangling- see this image taken at Fraser's Hill: ML244720331 Blue Whistling-Thrush Macaulay Library. I suspect the apparently large, slightly hooked bill, deep gape and brown tones on the wing, a bit like on this bird - ML531024321 Blue Whistling-Thrush Macaulay Library - point to Blue Whistling-Thrush. The habitat sounds OK for either. @Steve.Jonesy What was the elevation, roughly?

I th

I think it has been found there but I may be wrong. The race you mentioned is dichrorhyncus, which as you say is smaller and can look quite matt blackish , without much in the way of spangling- see this image taken at Fraser's Hill: ML244720331 Blue Whistling-Thrush Macaulay Library. I suspect the apparently large, slightly hooked bill, deep gape and brown tones on the wing, a bit like on this bird - ML531024321 Blue Whistling-Thrush Macaulay Library - point to Blue Whistling-Thrush. The habitat sounds OK for either. @Steve.Jonesy What was the elevation, roughly?
We were in a village called Brinchang at around 1500m walking up a small river

I th

My comment about Malayan perhaps not occurring there comes from a comment on the subject I recall from more than a decade ago (I think by James Eaton), but for all I know it may have been found there (reliably) since 🤷.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back