• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thursley Common, Dec 16th...shrike tips? (1 Viewer)

DrRich

Hi All,

I have a 24-hour layover to see family and am hoping to fit in an hour at Thursley Common on Dec 16th. Could anyone give me any tips on where the shrike is being seen? Map reference, descriptions etc? Also, does anyone have a list of what else is likely to be there in december? I have found the recnt sighitings at http://www.surreybirdclub.org.uk/recent.html , but could do with some 'what is normal?' kind of info for a visitor...

Thanks in anticipation,

Richard

Also if anyone has tips on good locations in the area to see owls, that's be great... I seem to have more night-time hours there than daytime, and haven't counted any UK owls (except SEO in the US). Thanks again!

I don't know the site - but looking at historical reports this seems to be the main area for a bird or birds that seem to roam about a bit:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=490650&Y=140750&ar=Y&z=120

Other birds reported seem to be Dartford Warbler, Crossbill & Twite.

good luck - I am sure that a local will be able to provide more info.

From Birdguides: In recent years, Thursley Common has been one of the few sites to attract a Great Grey Shrike in winter, and from early December until mid-April one has been present in the main common area east of the Moat car park. It is typically wide-ranging and may be seen on Shrike Hill at one minute and in trees under the pylons about a mile away the next.
Follow the well-marked boardwalk from the car park eastwards towards Ockley Common and where it joins a row of pine trees and veers north, scan the main bog and heath immediately east of here. The bird is usually perched aloft the dead trees or in willow clumps and may be distant. It also visits Shrike Hill, to the southeast of the car park, accessed from a separate boardwalk and trail south of the car park.

Last edited:
The best place to see the Shrike is on Shrike Hill (where else?!) which is at SU412904. But, it is extremely mobile, and could potentially be seen anywhere. Other favoured spots include South Bog (just to west of Shrike Hill), and the area of heath to east of Pudmore Pond (sometimes perching on the overhead wires).

A few Dartford Warblers are around but difficult to find (recently one was seen next to South Bog). Woodlarks are frequent, as are Redpoll and Siskin. Crossbill are around, but appeared to have declined in recent months. Very occassional Peregrine, Hen Harrier, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, and Merlin are seen. Other common birds out on the heath include Meadow Pipit, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Jay, Linnet, Stonechat, and perhaps Fieldfare and Redwing.

Owls are always tricky as you know, but probably your best bet in this area is Papercourt water meadows. Short-eared Owl have been seen there this winter, and Little Owl and Barn Owl are about all the time. Choose a nice still evening. The water meadows are at TQ567030, and park in Tannery Lane.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Don't want to being spreading Doom but it took me around 10 visits last Winter to finally see the Shrike, I was very unlucky. I got lucky on my Birthday oddly enough.. perhaps it knew ?
I saw nothing on Skrike hill at all and it was the far area of Heather and Birch trees where it was on that day.
Grid ref:

SU 91181 42030

Good luck.

Stu

Thanks all for your help. I was fortunate to find a local birder on Shrike Hill (along with a life Woodlark) and stalked him as he moved on to look out over the bog. Eventually we had a long, and long-distance look at the shrike as it moved along the powerline, seemingly tracking back toward Shrike hill. The third life shrike of my trip and a great bird!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back