• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Torn between the ~$1000 options.. (3 Viewers)

Well... They're here and I spent just a little time behind them. I was trying to be patient and wait before posting detailed impressions, but these are too good to not be super buzzed about!

First impressions, they are super bright, with excellent contrast (up there with the best I've seen in the few bins I've looked through). Colors are vivid and pop. Looking at oranges growing in the backyard, they looked very 3 dimensional so you could feel like you could touch them, largely down to the excellent color rendition.

Observing some towhees and doves and chickadees was extremely fun, as the binoculars "disappeared" as they should, making me feel closer to the birds without a "window" in between.

The best part yet, was looking at a tree against the strong California sunlight. I looked at a big oak tree ~40 meters away, about 10deg directly below the sun. My bare eyes could barely process the silhouette and the tree was basically grey, not much shadow detail to speak of. A common scenario for birding for me in the late morning or early evening, when something of interest moves among the branches. I looked through my (much cheaper, but surprisingly optics good for the price) Bushnell legend 10x42s. The view was sharp, but a zoomed in version of a grayish silhouette. Switching to the Auroras was a delight! I could see detailed colors in the shadows, graded greens of the leaves, and contrast so much better it was like lifting a fog. Glare control is exceptional, as is sweet spot sharpness.

I love a large AFOV. This gives me as much as I need for most scenarios at ~66deg...

I don't think I can fault this optically, and at the price, not at all. The only pair of bins I have looked through (albeit not too many others) that I think are an upgrade, are the NL pure 10x42s, purely because of the larger fov and barrel shape. I'd be hard pressed to see why to spend more money than this on glass, but time may tell. Right now, I'm off birding, can't wait to get out with these bins!

Thanks and the same to you, Ratal! Thanks for bringing these to light and attention they deserve. $800 well spent for me!

I've said this many times over - but at the price / performance? I'll never sell mine. It is my 'one and done' full sized binocular.

How come they are not sold here in the USA?
I think they stopped selling through stores, I looked around to the shops that used to sell Opticrons.

BHPhotovideo and a couple of other online retailers have them though... That's where I bought my pair. Leap of faith, as I tested the Conquest HD and Monarch HG and Razor HD in person here, and went for these based on reviews/opinions I'm glad I did though.. These are at least as good as any of those if not better from memory.

I haven’t been a fan for a while after some disappointments and finding better alternatives at the price points.

Honey Creek in the US, Pennsylvania sells Opticron. Honey Creek Bill & Beak – Your Place for Outdoor Bird Supplies, Binoculars & Spotting Scopes.
What were you disappointed with, Paul, if I may ask? Wondering if there was bad QC and differences in individual pieces, because my pair seem to offer a view and solid build as good as any... Or whether there are different ergonomics you prefer?

What were you disappointed with, Paul, if I may ask? Wondering if there was bad QC and differences in individual pieces, because my pair seem to offer a view and solid build as good as any... Or whether there are different ergonomics you prefer?
QC issues and less than stellar responses from customer service. If you get a good one it’s a nice product, but I’ve always seem to feel there was something better at the price points.

I love my $400 Opticron 8x32s. For less than half the price of my Monarch HG 8x30 they are very very close in terms of sharpness and color accuracy. I also thought my $700 made in Japan Opticron DBA VHD plus 8x42 were every bit the equal of my $1000 8x42 Monarch HGs is all respects except for a narrower FOV.

I would recommend Opticrons to anyone who prioritizes value over branding, or wants maximum image quality for minimum cost at both the $400 and $800 price points. They really are great products that don’t get the credit the deserve.

Yes, I do think my 8x32 conquests are superior to both the Travelers ane HGs, but for a significant increase in purchase price and weight.

For the money, Opticron cannot be topped in my opinion.

I also think the Maven B3 8x30 is excellent, yet I was unimpressed with their original B1 8x42 offering. (Not the new and much improved B1.2 -a suspected SFL “sibling”). I also did not care for the view through the Sig Saur 11x45 which shares the Maven B2 “design” built to a different(?) specification in terms of coatings(?) and fit and finish I believe.

Meanwhile, the Maven B5 18x56 and SV EL 8x32 are still the absolute best optics I have ever spent time behind (weeks) looking through.

The value in Japanese optics is shocking compared to Euro manufacturing prices

Thanks and the same to you, Ratal! Thanks for bringing these to light and attention they deserve. $800 well spent for me!
How is the FOV in a 10x42 compared to other binoculars in the same power? I wasn’t impressed with the view through the Monach HG 10x42’s, which may have been better on a tripod. Where did you find these binoculars for $800.00? Thanks for posting your first impressions of the Auroras.

How is the FOV in a 10x42 compared to other binoculars in the same power? I wasn’t impressed with the view through the Monach HG 10x42’s, which may have been better on a tripod. Where did you find these binoculars for $800.00? Thanks for posting your first impressions of the Auroras.
Fov wise, it's a wee bit smaller than the MHG, rated 348 ft/1000yds to their 360(?). Not ultra wide, but wide enough for me, given the sharpness goes pretty close to the edge. I've had no issues tracking birds flitting about even in a fixed frame.

To my eyes and memory, these do brightness/contrast/color pop a little better than the MHG.. Though I wasn't able to test CA or glare on that one. The MHG fov was lovely though!

I love my HGs. There is a pair of Maven B 1.2 on the classifieds here for $650. Screaming deal for a great pair of binos. Nothing I’ve tried in the 1k price range compares to the HGs though. I’ve tried them all but not the Opticrons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back