• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Torn between the ~$1000 options.. (3 Viewers)

"upgrade itch" - what a great, evocative, accurate phrase.

I am wanting really good 10x50s in the 1k-1.5k range. I am for focused on reading about all the possibilities, reviews, comparisons, opinions, counter-opinions MORE than I am focused on...birdwatching! It's ridiculous but it is fun.
Not ridiculous at all. It’s a worthwhile hobby in itself.
Maybe this does not help you much because I cannot make comparisons with the other brands you mention, Akhil O, but I purchased my 8x42 Monarch HGs less than two years ago and at the time I compared them in-store to 10x42 HGs. I wanted the 10x42s to be better but to me they were not better. The 10x42s were mostly just darker. The greater magnification was not at all balanced by the loss of light.
MHG, very good glass. But your experience between the 8x and 10x MHG can be similar with a wide range of brands and optical levels. With some binoculars it’s less noticeable than with Nikons.
That said, I LOVE my 8x42 HGs. I did recently get to try out Ultravid 10x50s and 10x42s and, once again, I was not blown away by the difference between my 8x42 HGs and the Ultravids.
It’s my opinion that once you get to the upper mid grade level optics the difference to the top doesn’t always immediately pop out at you, especially if it’s indoors or outside on a sunny day when you tried them. It’s something that takes a little time for the quality to come out under different conditions, and only then can the quality that one pays a premium for , shows itself and can be appreciated.

Car analogies can be used here. A Kia is a nice well built reliable car, get into the equivalent size model BMW or Audi, and although you can see and feel a little difference you don’t really notice the improvement in quality and performance until you live with it a while. Whether it’s worth twice or three times the price is a whole other topic. But you pay for what you get.
A long time ago an acquaintance with a lot of resources said if a person is truly committed to something, they will only get the best tools (camera equipment in that case) to pursue that thing; settling for less-optimal tools meant the person was less committed to the craft. This acquaintance had literally zero experience with or comprehension of living life with limited resources.
That sounds more like a maturely issue 😝.

Nice to see someone who of course hasn't view any Alpha glass, and probably been buying 200 dollar binos forever,
How would you know what anybody here has looked through?
But you get 10 points for arrogance, 100 for condescension -- when you reach 1,000 points you win a free bino.
Seems like a clear candidate for my ignore list.
I think it's funny btw how some people here think that spending an amount that any person with half a brain and a job other than flipping burgers could afford, if he wanted to, somehow elevates you to expert status. LMAO. Just buy a used car instead of a new one and you have all the money for any so-called "alpha" that you need.
I am in watch forums a lot since I collect wristwatches. The price for an "alpha" would be considered pocket change in those circles -- yet I rarely see this type of attitude from any Rolex-wearers in a watch forum. Ridiculous to what type of arrogance people seem to feel entitled when spending a bit of money after googling "best bino".
Just a tip -- simply don't visit that part of the forum where binos are "too cheap" for your taste.

I did buy my 2nd Vortex Viper 12x50, really nice nice glass…
I’ve been turned into a Viper fan ever since getting a 10x42 HD and now looking really hard at a 12x50 in either the Viper or UHD.
I have numerous Vortex products, but I don’t buy any of their MIC stuff anymore. I have two 10x42 Vipers…
Do you know where my 10x42 HD or the 12x50 Viper and UHD are made?

Not ridiculous at all. It’s a worthwhile hobby in itself.

MHG, very good glass. But your experience between the 8x and 10x MHG can be similar with a wide range of brands and optical levels. With some binoculars it’s less noticeable than with Nikons.

Car analogies can be used here. A Kia is a nice well built reliable car, get into the equivalent size model BMW or Audi, and although you can see and feel a little difference you don’t really notice the improvement in quality and performance until you live with it a while. Whether it’s worth twice or three times the price is a whole other topic. But you pay for what you get.

That sounds more like a maturely issue 😝.
I got myself an F-150...

I’ve been turned into a Viper fan ever since getting a 10x42 HD and now looking really hard at a 12x50 in either the Viper or UHD.

Do you know where my 10x42 HD or the 12x50 Viper and UHD are made?
Hi Trinovid,

I believe anything below Viper is MIC, the Viper and Razor HD are made in Philippines, and the much more expensive Razor UHD is MIJ. Optically and build quality wise very little difference from Vioer to Razor HD, same body , optics are so close I think the Viper line is the best bang for the buck, real nice for that price point. The UHD is on a completely different level. You don’t need side by side to tell the difference , as soon as you look through a UHD , it pops and they are very bright.

Paul

Last edited:
Are they still? I thought Kenko shut down their factory in the Philippines? Or is there another optics manufacturer having a factory there?
I don’t know if there is another manufacturer if Kenko was the only one. It’s possible it changed, I hope not, to say I’m not a fan of anything MIC would be an understatement. I can only share my last years experience. I’ve had two Cabela Vipers (pre 2018 model) , two of the of the newer 2018 Viper versions and two Razor HD’s, all labeled made in the Philippines. I’m actually out right now at the park with a 10 x 42 viper HD, made in the Philippines. I guess we’ll see over the next few months what others say who buy them.

I believe anything below Viper is MIC, the Viper and Razor HD are made in Philippines, and the much more expensive Razor UHD is MIJ. Optically and build quality wise very little difference from Viper to Razor HD, same body , optics are so close I think the Viper line is the best bang for the buck, real nice for that price point. The UHD is on a completely different level. You don’t need side by side to tell the difference , as soon as you look through a UHD , it pops and they are very bright.
I can't recommend the Viper line enough, and now the UHD as well. Seems I may be a fan of Philippine binoculars now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back