• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trail Cams (1 Viewer)

ohlookabirdie

love the birds!!!
Northern Ireland
Do you count sightings from a motion controled trail cam on your lists? im thinkin of getting one to set up at feeders or other spots to see whats there when im not watching. does anyone have any advice on using these? or which brands to avoid ot look out for?

Most trail cams are optimised for mammals at a meter or more. A key point to look out for is the activation time; the time between the camera detecting the beastie and it taking the picture. For birds visiting a feeder the bird may well have flown off again before the camera takes its shot. Another thing to look at is the close focus, most trail cameras are fixed focus and may not focus close up.

There are many different models on the market, I have experience with a few but never tried using one on a bird feeder. There are some products designed as dedicated feeder cams, often linked to an image recognition AI, that give you alerts to a phone if anything lands on the feeder. I have never tried such devices but they have mixed reviews, although this is mostly to do with the AI aspect.

As for counting things seen on cameras the standard rule is, it's your list count what you want. But most listing services where you compare lists with other people certainly wouldn't condone such things. The Ornithological Powers That Be do count remote camera captures, it might come to pass that a "first for Britian" is added to the list having been seen by no one.

Most trail cams are optimised for mammals at a meter or more. A key point to look out for is the activation time; the time between the camera detecting the beastie and it taking the picture. For birds visiting a feeder the bird may well have flown off again before the camera takes its shot. Another thing to look at is the close focus, most trail cameras are fixed focus and may not focus close up.

There are many different models on the market, I have experience with a few but never tried using one on a bird feeder. There are some products designed as dedicated feeder cams, often linked to an image recognition AI, that give you alerts to a phone if anything lands on the feeder. I have never tried such devices but they have mixed reviews, although this is mostly to do with the AI aspect.

As for counting things seen on cameras the standard rule is, it's your list count what you want. But most listing services where you compare lists with other people certainly wouldn't condone such things. The Ornithological Powers That Be do count remote camera captures, it might come to pass that a "first for Britian" is added to the list having been seen by no one.

my feeding station/table is quite large and I would probably be setting up about 1m from the main feeding area. trigger speed on the one im looking at is 0.2-0.4s which seems fast to me but im far from an expert.

thank you for the information about listing services. i'll probably keem them off my official list but keep a trail cam list as something to use as reference of what to look out for when im there in person.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back