• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travelling with expensive binoculars (5 Viewers)

antoine22

Switzerland
I'm leaving this summer for 3 weeks in Indonesia for a backpacking trip.

It's not a bird focus trip but I still want to enjoy the birds I will meet on the different islands and in the jungle.

I have at my disposal my NL Pure 10x32 or a very old pair of Zeiss 8x20.

Part of me says that I bought a pair of binoculars that produce the best images imaginable so I might as well take them with me everywhere but another part of me says that it might be a bit risky to bring them with me?

I've been lucky enough to travel a lot and I've never had a problem with theft and I think that a pair of binoculars is even less prized by thieves but I'd feel terrible if my NL Pure was stolen.

So I wanted to know what are your opinions about traveling with high end binoculars?

Should I take the old Zeiss 8x20 but sacrifice the image quality or take the NL Pure because it's safe?

Wow. That's a dilemma. Normally I'd say, take the NLs - that's what you bought them for. But backpacking?!? That's a risk because you'll presumably be in insecure accommodation a lot of the time, taking public buses, leaving your stuff somewhere on the beach, etc, and you may not want to have to be constantly thinking about whether your binoculars are safe.

I'd almost be tempted to buy a separate, modestly-priced travel pair. There are good binoculars available for a couple of hundred $ these days. If you want some extra incentive, neither 8x20 or 10x32 is an ideal configuration for tropical forests (and I say that as a user of 10x32s as my primary bins).

I've done my share of backpacking, and the only places I've ever been concerned about carrying expensive optics are big cities and western countries.
If you are concerned however, I think the advice @Brummie has given is sound - you wont miss much/anything with a pair of Opticron or Hawke binoculars over the latest and greatest.
Enjoy your trip!

Wow. That's a dilemma. Normally I'd say, take the NLs - that's what you bought them for. But backpacking?!? That's a risk because you'll presumably be in insecure accommodation a lot of the time, taking public buses, leaving your stuff somewhere on the beach, etc, and you may not want to have to be constantly thinking about whether your binoculars are safe.

I'd almost be tempted to buy a separate, modestly-priced travel pair. There are good binoculars available for a couple of hundred $ these days. If you want some extra incentive, neither 8x20 or 10x32 is an ideal configuration for tropical forests (and I say that as a user of 10x32s as my primary bins).
I sure don't want to spend my vacations wondering if my binoculars are safe.
Concerning the 10x32, if I'm not mistaken, Arjan Dwarshuis used 10x32 ELs for his big year so I think that if he managed to use this format, I should be able to manage too 😁

I'm sure you can get on with a wide-FOV 10x32 just fine - my primary do-everything bins are SF 10x32 - I was just giving you an excuse to spend more money on optics, as something with a larger exit pupil may be more ideal if you're birding in closed-canopy forest.

It also depends on where you're going and what you mean by "backpacking" - i.e. how basic the accommodation and travel options will be. Daniel may have been lucky, but backpackers certainly are targets for thieves in most places, and whilst I'm not very familiar with Indonesia, I doubt it's very different to other parts of SE Asia I've spent a lot of time in. I've had a camera taken from a bag on a bus in Nepal, and money taken from bags in a Bangkok hotel and a hut in the Colombian amazon. On the other hand, 3 weeks is not a very long time - perhaps short enough to remain alert.

I'm sure you can get on with a wide-FOV 10x32 just fine - my primary do-everything bins are SF 10x32 - I was just giving you an excuse to spend more money on optics, as something with a larger exit pupil may be more ideal if you're birding in closed-canopy forest.

It also depends on where you're going and what you mean by "backpacking" - i.e. how basic the accommodation and travel options will be. Daniel may have been lucky, but backpackers certainly are targets for thieves in most places, and whilst I'm not very familiar with Indonesia, I doubt it's very different to other parts of SE Asia I've spent a lot of time in. I've had a camera taken from a bag on a bus in Nepal, and money taken from bags in a Bangkok hotel and a hut in the Colombian amazon. On the other hand, 3 weeks is not a very long time - perhaps short enough to remain alert.
It was a good idea but unfortunately I won't be able to buy another pair of binoculars because I'm saving for a Swarovski scope already

I've already been to Nepal, India, Thailand etc.. and I never had any problem either but it only takes one time.

I'm leaving this summer for 3 weeks in Indonesia ... Part of me says that I bought a pair of binoculars that produce the best images imaginable so I might as well take them with me everywhere but another part of me says that it might be a bit risky to bring them with me?
I understand Antoine, but at the same time, I can't help thinking that it's completely stupid to ask you such a question !!!! Sorry, ok, but I say it friendly, don't get me wrong ! ;)

Buying a pair of expensive binoculars, and going on a trip without taking them, for fear of having them stolen, is crazy for me !!!!! completely crazy !!!
It's crazy how money, this society of money, goods, this consumer society, manages to alter our behavior so much, to drive us crazy sometimes !!
Again please, buddy, nothing against you, not at all !!!!
I also have these 10x32 NL's, and I know perfectly well the immense pleasure they provide... that's why we bought them !!
And you would now like to take a trip to a so wonderful country leaving them at home out of fear ????... But it's crazy, Antoine !!!!
Like you, I have traveled a lot already, and in particular in India, always with Swaro's which I care about like the apple of my eye ! As you well know, you must of course take minimum precautions. My binoculars are always with me, ALWAYS, except maybe sometimes if in town the hotel has a good safe... But otherwise they're always with me, in my bag, or around my neck.
I spend almost 11 years in India, mainly in Himal's, but also in the subcontinent and always came back with my binoculars... I had my passport stolen, money another time, etc, but never my binoculars !!! I would kill (or be killed) for them, ahaha !!!!
Please don't be stupid !! We bought this 'magical' instrument to marvel at the world, to delight our eyes and our minds... and not to let them sleep at home during our travels, while they are real travel companions !!!!
Make them travel too, it will make them happy, just like you, and they will give it back to you a hundredfold !!
I can assure you that the next time I go to Himalayas (soon!), I will not ask myself this kind of dilemma, and leave the NL's behind me !! hahaha !!!! I would be sick of doing that !! lol

And if you really can't avoid being paranoid, which I don't want you to, take out insurance if that reassures you.

Sorry, Antoine, my post is a bit long, but the question you are asking has made me a little crazy 🤪

Last edited:
Last year I went to south Mexico and took my 8x25 compact binoculars only,
really missed the better larger ones when I saw birds I have never seen before and could ? ID
I doubt I will ever see the birds again, I can get more optics;
but as stated above "stay in your comfort level"

edj

I traveled across Indonesia in 2017 and even landed in the middle of a civil unrest in Papua. It is a safe country (even in this unrest, people were angry between themselves not at tourists) and me and my expensive binoculars returned safely.

You can also purchase an additional travel insurance for your optics online, if you want to be completely sure. Standard home insurance which people have in Switzerland covers many cases, and standard extra travel insurances often have a cap on optical equipment. But buying extra should be no problem.

I understand Antoine, but at the same time, I can't help thinking that it's completely stupid to ask you such a question !!!! Sorry, ok, but I say it friendly, don't get me wrong ! ;)

Buying a pair of expensive binoculars, and going on a trip without taking them, for fear of having them stolen, is crazy for me !!!!! completely crazy !!!
It's crazy how money, this society of money, goods, this consumer society, manages to alter our behavior so much, to drive us crazy sometimes !!
Again please, buddy, nothing against you, not at all !!!!
I also have these 10x32 NL's, and I know perfectly well the immense pleasure they provide... that's why we bought them !!
And you would now like to take a trip to a so wonderful country leaving them at home out of fear ????... But it's crazy, Antoine !!!!
Like you, I have traveled a lot already, and in particular in India, always with Swaro's which I care about like the apple of my eye ! As you well know, you must of course take minimum precautions. My binoculars are always with me, ALWAYS, except maybe sometimes if in town the hotel has a good safe... But otherwise they're always with me, in my bag, or around my neck.
I spend almost 11 years in India, mainly in Himal's, but also in the subcontinent and always came back with my binoculars... I had my passport stolen, money another time, etc, but never my binoculars !!! I would kill (or be killed) for them, ahaha !!!!
Please don't be stupid !! We bought this 'magical' instrument to marvel at the world, to delight our eyes and our minds... and not to let them sleep at home during our travels !!!!
Make them travel too, it will make them happy, just like you, and they will give it back to you a hundredfold !!
I can assure you that the next time I go to Himalayas (soon!), I will not ask myself this kind of dilemma, and leave the NL's behind me !! hahaha !!!! I would be sick of doing that !! lol

And if you really can't avoid being paranoid, which I don't want you to, take out insurance if that reassures you.

Sorry, Antoine, my post is a bit long, but the question you are asking has made me a little crazy 🤪
You are totally right and I will take my NL Pure with me, why deprive myself of this spectacular view just for fear of being robbed (which is very unlikely to happen with a little common sense)

I traveled across Indonesia in 2017 and even landed in the middle of a civil unrest in Papua. It is a safe country (even in this unrest, people were angry between themselves not at tourists) and me and my expensive binoculars returned safely.

You can also purchase an additional travel insurance for your optics online, if you want to be completely sure. Standard home insurance which people have in Switzerland covers many cases, and standard extra travel insurances often have a cap on optical equipment. But buying extra should be no problem.
Do you have an example of online optical insurance by any chance?

I'm fairly risk-averse when it comes to my optics, but jurek's solution would incline me to bring the NLs.

You are totally right and I will take my NL Pure with me, why deprive myself of this spectacular view just for fear of being robbed (which is very unlikely to happen with a little common sense)
It makes me happy, Buddy !!! ;)
And I really hope that you will take the time, once back, to tell us, describe this great trip !! I'm happy for you !!

Hi,

when we were in Indonesia a few years ago, we always felt safe and nothing of note regarding our security happened. On the other hand, we were travelling mainly rural Sumatra (and not the troubled province Aceh), which was not very touristy back then and we weren't backpacking but in a group with local guide and driver.

The more touristy islands of Bali and Lombok are well known for robberies or forced withdrawals at ATMs, travels to the indonesian part of New Guinea are not recommended due to frequent armed conflicts between separatist groups and security forces and special reqirements and limitations for travellers (quoting the travel advisory for indonesia of the german foreign office here).

I actually had my Zeiss Conquest 10x25 with me as a spare/pocket pair and on some hike a local elderly gentleman recognized it and struck up a conversation in passable english about Zeiss and optics - iirc he was a retired doctor. So expect teutonic trinity glass to be recognized - with good or bad intentions.

I would probably be wary to have alpha glass costing many months local wages on me and I tend to take less expensive but still ok options.
Even if you bought insurance, being robbed because of some shiny raptor, blue square or red circle on your glass will ruin your vacation with long hours at a police station (the insurance will insist on it), even if you aren't injured.

Joachim

Whenever I go to places that I think could be dodgy, I mask off the brand badge with some tape, especially in places where I think I'd stand out for one reason or another. That said, I think thieves are more attracted to photographic equipment than to binoculars. Also, I think that a Leica or Zeiss badge draws more attention to it than a Swaro.

I would probably be wary to have alpha glass costing many months local wages on me and I tend to take less expensive but still ok options.
But it's really not necessary to add anxiety (in my opinion ;) )... So is it better not to travel to avoid any problem, and that's not certain ?!...
People all over the Himalayas (which i know quite well) walk with flip flop shoes, while we wear mainly trekking shoes at 200 or 300 € and more... and I'm not talking about the rest, overpriced goretex clothes etc etc... is that a reason to travel in rags ?!... Should we travel with nothing in order not to be afraid? It's nonsense.

But it's really not necessary to add anxiety (in my opinion ;) )... So is it better not to travel to avoid any problem, and that's not certain ?!...
People all over the Himalayas (which i know quite well) walk with flip flop shoes, while we wear mainly trekking shoes at 200 or 300 € and more... and I'm not talking about the rest, overpriced goretex clothes etc etc... is that a reason to travel in rags ?!... Should we travel with nothing in order not to be afraid? It's nonsense.
Your view is clearly different, doesn't mean other is nonsense. If a particular pair of binoculars is your pride and joy, you getting real pleasure from them day in day out at home, it is understandable that you might think better to take some cheaper ones for a particular trip if you perceive there is high risk of losing.

Personally I do take with me, but if I was travelling to Egypt for example, where there is a high risk of confiscation at the airport, I would certainly take a lesser pair.

Last edited:
As for the insurance option, read it carefully - does it really cover full value of top end optics? Especially if also with camera, many policies will have maximum coverable. Moreover, check all the exclusions - theft from car covered? Theft from a backpacker's hostel? And good luck if it gets confiscated at an airport - most insurance companies would not cover this.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back