• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travelling with expensive binoculars (2 Viewers)

I have Allianz and my bins don't exceed the allowance of 2000CHF. I also have friends who have pro telephoto lenses worth many 1000s and have them completely insured but they are abroad.

I however suggest that Indonesia is safe enough to take bins, take common sense precautions and not bother with extra insurance at all. Few Middle Eastern and African countries confiscate bins on airports but not Indonesia.

You absolutely take the NL Pures, they may offer you a moment that you will never forget. Most people wouldn't know how much they cost, a little bit of thinking that is all that is needed to keep those safe.
They were bought to be used and not to gather dust.

Personally I do take with me, but if I was travelling to Egypt for example, where there is a high risk of confiscation at the airport, I would certainly take a lesser pair.
Ethiopia is another country where they've been confiscating binoculars recently. I don't know if it's gotten better since the war in the north ended, but you can basically kiss goodbye to any high-end nature tourism sector if you steal folks' binoculars on arrival.

I am going to England hiking this summer. I am considering what to take as well. It is down to a Hawke Endurance 8x25, Maven 7x28, or Vortex 8x32 DB.

There are some very different advices given here, and that is normal. It's once again a personal choice. Enjoying your trip is what counts, whatever has the best pro/con-balance for you personally (better optics/lower worrying/less risk/...).
What I'm also wondering: will it be really 'backpacking' with all your gear, walking long distances etc. In that case, nothing to do with financial value/risk, there is some argument for a more compact, less heavy pair of binoculars, with lower magnification than 10x. E.g.some 8x25-x30. Regarding cost, you could also buy a very decent pair second hand (e.g.some Opticron,Kite,Nikon,'alpha'-brand but older and/or lower series like a Zeiss Terra 8x25...) and sell it again when you're back with probably little to no financial loss.
Again, it's all a matter of personal choice :)
Enjoy the trip!!!

I had to make a similar choice last summer going to La Palma island with an active volcano and volcanic ashes with sulfur and chemicals and all sorts of fine dust everywhere. Went for the good glass and best views. No damage and no regrets.
Hiking through the local hinterland next door I often end up with my more robust binoculars instead of the "best".

I had to make a similar choice last summer going to La Palma island with an active volcano and volcanic ashes with sulfur and chemicals and all sorts of fine dust everywhere. Went for the good glass and best views. No damage and no regrets.
Hiking through the local hinterland next door I often end up with my more robust binoculars instead of the "best".
If we buy superb optics, they are not meant to stay home. They are for being used and the views enjoyed, unless your prime goal is collecting. But then you should not even use them. The main point is getting a good insurance. In Switzerland, Mobiliar is a company that allows flexible coverage, thus increasing the covered amount if the optics exceed the basic coverage. Nevertheless, you should take along your small binoculars as a back-up.

Tringa45, When I was growing up most kids routinely carried a pocket knife everywhere, including school. Some had a gun rack in their pick up and parked in the school lot. No one thought anything of it. We also had no police in schools, it wasn't necessary. I miss those days.

However, back to the binocular question. I am now considering my Kowa 6.5x32, it's close focus is an added benefit. So many binoculars and so little room to carry them. There can be only one, as the Highlander teaches us.

At my local shop, they sell Nikon Monarch series for something like $200; they are pretty good and extremely tough; I don’t see why people who go backpacking for nature trips don’t simply get some of these. My bino shop tells me they are the products which never come back with failures due to bad treatment.

Edmund

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back