• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree-clinging birds - US, Northwest Oregon semi-rural near mixed woodland and creek (1 Viewer)

Greetings - my first post here in many years. We have just moved to a new location in NW Oregon (97124 ZIP code) further out from the suburbs, and have found ourselves with a multitude of new and interesting birds to identify. We have several feeders set up with different seeds/suet, and have many birds that we recognize stopping by, along with many others we have never seen before.

There are a number of tree-clinging birds that are new to me, the most common of which I'm pretty sure is a red-breasted nuthatch. I have some pictures I will post later. In the meantime, there is a less-frequent visitor that I'm tentatively identifying as a downy woodpecker.

Observations: mostly dark brown to black, with white underbody and black/white stripes on the face, lighter spots on the wings. Clings only to the trunk of trees; I have never seen it on a branch. Unlike the nuthatches, which seem to be very comfortable clinging to trees and feeders at any orientation, the ? woodpecker always wants to be vertical. It seems to like a suet block (apparently intended to attract woodpeckers specifically) that is in a feeder designed for woodpeckers. It will bounce backwards and forwards occasionally between the feeder and a large-ish maple tree nearby.

I don't have a good absolute idea of scale, but it's bigger than a chickadee and smaller than a robin. Maybe about 5 1/2"?

Hopefully the below video link should work:

mp4 video on Dropbox

any thoughts on ID gratefully received.

The bird in the video is a woodpecker, all right. I'm not certain, but I get the impression it's a Hairy rather than a Downy. (The beak looks long to me.)

I'm sure you're right about the nuthatch, but keep an eye out for a couple of other nuthatch species, differing mostly in head color. (Red-breasted is the only one with a black-on-white eye stripe.)

Other tree-clinging birds to watch for in your area: sapsuckers (you should get red-breasted near the coast, Williamson's in the hills) and brown creepers.

Thanks! I was mostly going on size for the downy vs hairy ID - I will see if I can get some better pictures tomorrow.

Here are some of my pictures of the nuthatches - most are very similar to this, but there's another larger one that shows up occasionally that I'm less sure about. I haven't been able to get any pictures yet because it hasn't stuck around long enough. Would definitely help if I had a better camera - these are all just with my phone.

I am also on the lookout for sapsuckers, but haven't seen anything yet. There is a large, knarly old apple tree on the property that is completely covered in evenly spaced holes that definitely looks like the work of a sapsucker. I'll take a picture of that when I get a chance also.

Attachments

• IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 13
I also think the woodpecker is a Hairy - a juvenile male. The nuthatches are certainly Red-breasted.

I can't even get as close as being sure that it's hairy/downy - but ...
- What's the vertical measurement of the wooden? panel on the side of the feeder?
- Are you completely certain sure that the 2 birds in the video are the same individual?

Not immediately sure on the vertical measurement - but that's a great idea to go and measure it. I'll look into that.

And yes, definitely the same individual. The video is actually an edit from a single continuous take, but since it's taken using a phone, there are periods where the view is very shaky, so I just clipped the best parts of the take together to make something a little more presentable. I think there was only one individual coming and going during the morning today, but can't be completely sure.

(there is, however, a pretty large contingent of nuthatches, and I'm pretty confident that the pictures of those are showing multiple individuals. I'm typically seeing several at once)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back