• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify bird seen near Mam Tor Castleton (1 Viewer)

Can anyone identify the following bird from the description below please. We are in our late 60's and never seen one before and cannot find an image anywhere.

Size: About sparrow size maybe a touch bigger
Head: very distinctive, Black on top, vivid white band around the eyes
Throat: white then black running down to the breast
Breast: Tan/Orangish leading down to fawn
In flight: vivid orange (of maybe bright tan) tail feathers
Habitat: Mixed habitat of grassland, bracken, marshy and trees

Looks a bit like a male redstart but not as big and redstart doesn't have the vivid white band around the eyes. Couldn't get a photo unfortunately.

Any ideas welcomed.

thanks

Hello,
welcome to birdforum.
Your description fits a male Common Redstart.
Edit: just read, that you considered the white area on forehead wrong/unusual for this species, but its a feature of this species, maybe you find a well-marked one?

No don't believe it's a redstart, this bird was smaller and had a black head and the white band was like a bandit mask around the eyes, also had white under the throat before another black patch. thanks for the suggestion though.

Hello,
welcome to birdforum.
Your description fits a male Common Redstart.
Edit: just read, that you considered the white area on forehead wrong/unusual for this species, but its a feature of this species, maybe you find a well-marked one?
Thanks, maybe it is a well marked redstart, but never seen one with such vivid markings before.

No don't believe it's a redstart, this bird was smaller and had a black head and the white band was like a bandit mask around the eyes, also had white under the throat before another black patch. thanks for the suggestion though.
have you considered a whinchat? I always consude them with male common redstarts. But I may be wrong. Look them up to see

Hello Jedimaster,
agree with you and all, that there are several other birds that you might have seen, but there are few other (european) birds (vagrants and escapes, exotics excluded) with vivid orange tones in the tail (and then quite regular catches attention/is well visible in flight in Redstarts, I thought I read your comment like this. Correct or wrong?)

Another suggesting is a female Bluethroat? I searched for a picture that fits your description: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...at_Rajkot.jpg/220px-Blue_throat_at_Rajkot.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everybody, so I've checked out the suggestions, but none really fit what we saw. It's probably a well marked redstart as suggested due to the orange tail, but what astonished us was the vivid white band around the eyes and the very black patch under the throat, never seen the like before, truly a beautiful thing.

Striking white above the eye and on the forehead, and lots of black on the throat, are perfectly normal for redstart. Sorted 👍🏻

Here's a strikingly marked Redstart:

The black can extend even further down the breast than it does on this individual

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back