• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree/Shrub ID (1 Viewer)

Kentbloke

Ah, yes, well
England
Hi all, can anyone please ID this tree/shrub that has self seeded in my flower bed? It's about 5ft tall and around 5 years old. Many thanks

Attachments

• IMGP0217 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0217 (Large).JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP0218 (Large).JPG
    IMGP0218 (Large).JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Looks like a young ash tree.

It does.. it's hard to see, but it could also be the Tree of Heaven... Ailanthus altisima... which can be a bit of a pest!

How big do those leaves get... if they gey very big.. it's ailanthus... and I'd get rid befoer it takes over and suckers everywhere!

Thanks Joanne and Quercus. I googled both suggestions and only found one pic that matched, I reckon it's a young Ash? The 'trunk' is lime greenish, not brown as it looks in the picture (the descriptions I found say they are grey on the Ash)! The buds were black before it burst into leaf - which I believe is an Ash property?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back