• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod attachment options for Swarovski Habicht (1 Viewer)

Racethesunset

Hi,

What options are there for tripod attachment for the newer model Swarovski Habicht W binoculars?

I looked on Swarovski's site and could only identify EL and SLC adapters.

What do you use, if any?

Thank you!

That adaptor may be a very good way to secure a binocular. It is adapted to any
up to those with a 14mm. diam. shaft.

They do mar the shaft, I have seen the result, not good, and so that would limit the use for many users.

The Nikon "Binocumount" is a universal strap mount, and is found for less, and unless
you are mounting a binocular much, this is the way I would go.

Jerry

I've never had any binocular shaft marred by the Nikon clamp. The material that compresses against the shaft appears to be nylon or some form of plastic. I also have the Binocumount saddle, but it is much less stable, really pretty wobbly, and the binocular is rather loosely secured. It's adequate for static situations, but not safe enough for moving the tripod around with the binoculars attached. I also have several L brackets, none of which are as rigid as the Nikon clamp and can't be used with the Habichts anyway.

Last edited:
The other feature that's nice about the Nikon clamp adapter is that it can be oriented such that the top extends farther back than the base, which puts the EPs of the bins closer to you and prevents "tripod hugging" and also craning your neck. I don't mind a tripod hug now and then but craning my neck for a period of time will send me to the chiropractor with a subluxation.

Whereas with the Binoc-U-mount you have no choice but to hug and crane, because unless you mount a large format bin, the eyecups will be close to the edge of the saddle and to the tripod head. For a roof without a tripod adapter thread, it's better than getting "the shakes" but for a porro, the clamp adapter is the way to go.

Brock

Thank you again for the feedback. I hadn't realized that about the extension of the Nikon - I am very familiar with tripod hugging with my current setup, the Outdoorsmans 'stud' adapter kit for the 12x50 EL's.

I have a couple of u-mount adapters and am not a fan. Too much to do, bulky when you're on the move, no quick connect.

We are waiting on approval from my wife for the binocular purchase itself (thanks ahead of time Proud Papa - fingers crossed), and she is very close to having acquiesced.

There is this clamp thing that may be useful for some binoculars.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1460_Ultra-Clamp---1-4----3-8--threads---very-versatile.html

I have not tried one myself.

There is also the Berlebach binocular support.

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=70&sprache=english

Andy

Andy

The ultra clamp was originally a bogen product referred to as the super clamp or gaffers clamp back in the day and was intended to provided a secure means of attaching a camera to any sturdy fixed rail, pipe, etc. When used with a good ball mount it can easily handle weights of >40lbs. Just a few years ago I noticed it was now also being advertised for use as a binocular clamp but I would be very hesitant about using it for clamping around the barrel of a bino.

I often use a super clamp on the job in lieu of a tripod and am enclosing a pic showing how I often use the clamp. I'm a building contractor and build a lot of large custom homes, sometimes in remote rural areas. If I get on the job before daybreak I often use the super clamp and one of my Arca-Swiss ball heads to mount binoculars for viewing the night sky. The enclosed pic shows the super clamp, Arca-Swiss Monoball, and my Nikon 18x70 Astroluxe mounted on the forks of my Caterpillar telehandler. With the ability to go from ground level up to 24' and also move 8' horizontally the telehandler in conjunction with the super clamp makes a great and very sturdy tripod substitute on the job

Steve

Attachments

• phpRUtDS1PM.jpg
    phpRUtDS1PM.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 147
Hi Steve

I agree it doesn't seem right to use the clamp on the barrel of a bino unless it is one with a very worn out appearance perhaps.

I don't think I'm ready for a telehandler bino mount but I could be persuaded to go for a Nikon 18x70 Astroluxe. :t:

Andy

The Nikon bino mount #7806 is one of the best bino to tripod mounts ever made and is well worth the money. I particularly like the way bino can be slid forward or backward to achieve better balance. This excellent mount will work with many binos; however, it won't work with most of the premium IF rubber armored binos (Fujinon FMT SX & Pentax PIF).

Enclosing a pic of the little Habicht nestled in the Nikon mount on one of my P mounts. I have two of the Nikon mounts both with QD plates which match my Arca Swiss Monoballs. Probably a little bit of over kill since the Monoballs easily handle loads of >40lbs but it sure makes for a very secure mounting system which I use on both my tripods and P mounts.

Steve

Attachments

• php4xEiNNAM.jpg
    php4xEiNNAM.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 169
I am sorry for posting on this old thread. I want to know does anyone of you try Swarovski universal binocular adapter (the wrap-up one) with Habicht? I want to buy one suit with both NL and Habichts.

I would like to buy an adapter that would thread on to the 3/8-16 mounting studs that are on all my tripods, even the one for my spotting scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back