• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/head (1 Viewer)

Moosebird

Hello all,
I'm in the market for a new tripod & head and would like your advice. I use an Opticron ES 80 (old model) with a Hama Gamma 74 camera tripod. Although this has given sterling service so far I feel the need for something more substantial. A trip to "In Focus" at Rutland is planned but I wonder if you could recommend a decent combo up to £200? Many thanks.

look at the Manfrotto 'View' series - depending on your height you might want 190 or 055 legs, I'd recommend the 701 head over the 700 (it handles a big scope much better). A 190v & 701rc2 kit should be about £149, if you need the taller 055 legs it would cost £20 more.

postcardcv said:
look at the Manfrotto 'View' series - depending on your height you might want 190 or 055 legs, I'd recommend the 701 head over the 700 (it handles a big scope much better). A 190v & 701rc2 kit should be about £149, if you need the taller 055 legs it would cost £20 more.
Thanks postcardcv, I shall go to Rutland slightly wiser.

Hi Moosebird,

Just bought a new head myself today; the new Gitzo 2180 Fluid Head. It is small, lightweight and very sturdy ( max. load 4 kgs ) and it's a rare pleasure to use. Fluid means FLUID here, very easy, very smooth. I've owned Manfrotto heads before but never ever experienced such ease of viewing. It also has built-in counterbalance weight so your scope doesn't droop and slams against the legs. You just point it and it stays without any screws being tightened.
I paid 179 euros for it. With non-CarbonFibre legs I think you have a set-up within the limits of your budget.

Greetings, Ronald Sinoo

KorHaan said:
Hi Moosebird,

Just bought a new head myself today; the new Gitzo 2180 Fluid Head. It is small, lightweight and very sturdy ( max. load 4 kgs ) and it's a rare pleasure to use. Fluid means FLUID here, very easy, very smooth. I've owned Manfrotto heads before but never ever experienced such ease of viewing. It also has built-in counterbalance weight so your scope doesn't droop and slams against the legs. You just point it and it stays without any screws being tightened.
I paid 179 euros for it. With non-CarbonFibre legs I think you have a set-up within the limits of your budget.

Greetings, Ronald Sinoo
Thanks for the info KorHaan - you make the new Gitzo head sound quite tempting. I'll let you know if I end up with one.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back