• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trochilidae (6 Viewers)

Yes, I'm pretty sure the search is picking up version 4.1. If you search for Chalcostigma, it only shows the five species, as version 4.1. The new revision (let's call it 5.0) has ten species in Chalcostigma. The five species from the Chalcostigma sensu 4.1, the four species that were subspecies of Oxypogon guerinii in H&M4.1, and the former Oreonympha nobilis .

Now the thing that is bugging me is the search heading the listing with "Hidden subfamily of monotypic family. - Tribe LESBIINI". What does this mean? The family is not monotypic, as there are six subfamilies including Lesbiinae which has two tribes.

The are quite a few differences between the H&M5 sequences and IOC, but the IOC sequence is compatible with the subfamilies and tribes used by H&M4/5.

There are a few differences in the genera, apart from the IOC recognising Oreonympha and Oxypogon rather than lumping them in Calcostigma. The IOC uses Pampa instead of Platystylopterus (I think this is because the IOC's Pampa pampa is a subspecies of Platystylopterus curviipennis in H&M5) and Uranomitra for Coeruleomitra (see H&M footnote 367). The IOC includes the Dicranurania of H&M5 in Eupherusa, and the Aphantochroa of H&M5 Eupetomena, while H&M5 lumps Eulampis into Anthracothorax.

367. Bruce & Stiles (2021) [Bruce, 2021 #18890] suggested that monotypy for this taxon was designated in 2017, but the designation then related to Uranomitra and they proposed this replacement name.

The IOC uses Pampa instead of Platystylopterus (I think this is because the IOC's Pampa pampa is a subspecies of Platystylopterus curviipennis in H&M5)
Pampa Reichenbach 1854 (OD; type, by monotypy, Pampa campyloptera Reichenbach 1854 -- a new name for Trochilus pampa Lesson 1832, presumably introduced by Reichenbach to avoid a tautonymous "Pampa pampa", which would have been frowned upon back then) and Platystylopterus Reichenbach 1854 (OD; type, by subsequent designation of Gray 1855, Campylopterus rufus Lesson 1840) were published in the same work (Reichanbach's Aufzählung der Colibris) and at the same rank.
Pampa Reichenbach 1854 is a homonym of Pampa Walker 1854 (OD; Lepidoptera), which was published on 11 Feb 1854 fide Sherborn 1934. The exact date of publication of Reichenbach's Aufzählung is no fully clear, but nothing serious suggests a publication before 11 Feb 1854; thus Pampa Reichenbach 1854 is a junior homonym: as such, it is permanently invalid, and another name must be used.
H&M are correct here.

367. Bruce & Stiles (2021) [Bruce, 2021 #18890] suggested that monotypy for this taxon was designated in 2017, but the designation then related to Uranomitra and they proposed this replacement name.
Can anyone translate this sentence for me ?
(I have no idea what "designating monotypy" could possibly mean. Coeruleomitra was presented as a replacement name, but not intended to replace nomenclaturally an already available name, hence must be understood as having been a new genus. There is no question that Uranomitra is the correct name here.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back