• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trogoniformes (7 Viewers)

Not entirely. There are quite a few plants and fungi with hyphenated species epithets and even the zoological code allows a few exceptions.
Andrena w-scripta Polygonia c-album
Andrena_w-scripta_MALE_CFP_comp,I_YORKU263.jpg
00952ba568949c21229c8aa0bd6351f4.jpg

Article 32.5.2.4.3. If the first element is a Latin letter used to denote descriptively a character of the taxon, it must be retained and connected to the remainder of the name by a hyphen.
My favourites are those coccinellids with a number replacing a great, long latin mouthful of a name eg Subcoccinella 24-punctata for Subcoccinella vigintiquatuorpunctata😁

I think honestly its the hyphen thing...just looks weird to me. If it was just Amazon Violaceous Trogon I would probably be more okay with it. At least by using the IOC I can ignore silly hyphens
Also a relatively unfamiliar 4-syllable word like violaceous is decidedly unhelpful.
Names are best kept simple, apt, and memorable IMO.
I've seen a few trogons but only one with a name I remember - Resplendent Quetzal, for obvious reasons!😊

Are the French names any less forgettable?
I don't know if they are more forgettable or less forgettable, however, and obviously my opinion is biased due to my language and habits, their construction is simpler: genus + species (the reason is that the French names are modeled on the Latin construction). A three-level name, like Amazonian Violaceous Trogon, gives the impression that we are dealing with a subspecies. So, imagine a subspecies within the Amazonian Violaceous Trogon, we would end up with four or five words in a row, which can overburden the name.

Last edited:
Also a relatively unfamiliar 4-syllable word like violaceous is decidedly unhelpful.
Names are best kept simple, apt, and memorable IMO.
I've seen a few trogons but only one with a name I remember - Resplendent Quetzal, for obvious reasons!😊
Surely violaceous has five syllables?
MJB

I’ve never heard it pronounced with more than 4.

For you is outrageous pronounced out-rage-ous or out-rag-e-ous?
True, many multi-syllable words are sufficiently slurred when spoken to lose a syllable in pronunciation. I certainly consider that outrageous has five, simply because I always see the shape of the word in print. That also helps considerably in proof-reading and copy-editing (in terms of noting spelling anomalies).
MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back