• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tromso - November - birding info requested (1 Viewer)

Jono L

Hi folks,
I am visiting Tromso in mid-November primarily to see Orcas and Humpbacks, but would be keen to know what birds can be seen locally at that time of year and also if there are any reasonably close sites we can reach if we hire a car. Particularly interested in species such as Siberian Jay.
Many thanks in advance
Jono

If you're not familiar with it, the Norwegian bird (and other wildlife) reporting system is very helpful. If you're interested in particular species, you can easily find very precise recent and historical records.

It's gonna be cold and dark! I've seen my first and only Pine Grosbeak in Abisko at the end od October many years ago, so birds are there :) But I am commenting mainly because I am looking forward to hearing about the results!

If you're not familiar with it, the Norwegian bird (and other wildlife) reporting system is very helpful. If you're interested in particular species, you can easily find very precise recent and historical records.
That is great, I will take a look - thank you.

It's gonna be cold and dark! I've seen my first and only Pine Grosbeak in Abisko at the end od October many years ago, so birds are there :) But I am commenting mainly because I am looking forward to hearing about the results!
Great - I will let you know! Thanks :)

Hi folks,
I am visiting Tromso in mid-November primarily to see Orcas and Humpbacks, but would be keen to know what birds can be seen locally at that time of year and also if there are any reasonably close sites we can reach if we hire a car. Particularly interested in species such as Siberian Jay.
Many thanks in advance
Jono

Tromso harbour has resident White-Tailed Eagles that patrol up and down whilst giant rafts of Eider swirl about in their thousands.

In the trees will be flocks of Waxwings, dense flocks, a real treat to the senses, as well as Fieldfare and other Thrushes.

As for Siberian Jay? 0% chance. Totally the wrong environment and I have never, ever seen one in 20+ years of going to and from Tromsoya and the surrounds. November will also be very, very dark for a large slice of the 24hr period - 4 hours MAX by the 20th.

Tromso harbour has resident White-Tailed Eagles that patrol up and down whilst giant rafts of Eider swirl about in their thousands.

In the trees will be flocks of Waxwings, dense flocks, a real treat to the senses, as well as Fieldfare and other Thrushes.

As for Siberian Jay? 0% chance. Totally the wrong environment and I have never, ever seen one in 20+ years of going to and from Tromsoya and the surrounds. November will also be very, very dark for a large slice of the 24hr period - 4 hours MAX by the 20th.
Many thanks Ratal, I really appreciate the info. I can see some forested areas not too far away (if I have a car); are they worth a look? Also, are there any other good sites worth a look within, say, an hour's drive? Thanks in advance

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back