• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TSE-21WD protective window? (1 Viewer)

4th_point

United States
I recently acquired a fixed 20x wide eyepiece for the System S mount and it appears to have a plain flat glass window that is fixed in place with what appears to be silicone sealant. It is on the end that goes into the scope body. I contacted Kowa and the response was that it might be "aftermarket" or something that Kowa did. It does not seem to affect the view in anyway that I can tell.

Has anyone else seen this?

It seems like a nice eyepiece but I may end up selling it, so any information would be helpful (to provide to buyer).

Thanks,

Jason

Optical windows are sometimes used to waterproof optics.

Many binoculars have optical windows in front of the objectives.
Canon 18x50, 8x25 etc.
Minolta Mariner.

Sometimes to stop dirt entering, especially with front focus binoculars.

Also used to hold secondary mirrors on some astro scopes or to stop tube currents.
With large telescopes tilting the optical window by one degree prevents ghost images.

It is likely the Kowa eyepiece has a standard optical window, hopefully coated.
There may be another optical window at the back of the scope body.

Regards,
B.

Thank you, Binastro.

I didn't think about the coating. I'm glad that you mentioned it. When I shine a bright LED light on the window it has a greenish reflection.

A white Led torch with greenish reflection suggests a multicoated window, but LEDs can be more or less monochromatic.

I use an old tungsten 60 watt bulb.

I think the Kowa eyepiece is probably mostly multicoated.

B.

Thanks Joachim. It looks similar to mine.

I found a picture of another 20x wide that did not have that front element, but I could see the ledge or lip where the flat glass could rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back