• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two more large white-headed gulls from N. Oman (2 Viewers)

not at all obvious, C.
i think they are heuglini but there's hardly anything separating it from steppe gull in this plumage. the late moulting p10 in the first bird is a good pointer towards the northern heuglini (as is the small p10 mirror, black on primary coverts, slight boa (striation in lower hind neck) and black down to p3.
all these i can't make out in the 2nd bird but on mantle shade i tend towards siberian gull (heuglini) here too.

Thank you, Lou. I thought Heuglini for the first too, but am not at all sure about the second. It seems to have one rather short p10, but the other primaries look worn to me. Both birds were isolated from the nearby Steppe Gulls, so hard to get a direct comparison, but they looked relatively dark-backed in the field.

Christopher

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back