• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tyke Meet Late Winter 2011 (3 Viewers)

a day late.....snow goose and barnacle geese just reported on Birdguides at Filey by totem.

Snow goose is possibly a horrible hybrid apparently and the barnies are likely feral birds as the hybrid is a well known bird that hangs around with the beds feral flock. They were seen passing flamborough yesterday by brett richards

The report

5.30am on a Sunday morning isn't a time I see too often, but needs must if we were to get to Filey for 8.00am. Within an hour I'd a car full of Tyke birders (Linda, Ken and Rob) and we were on the road. Too dark for much birding on the journey but Linda had picked up blackbird & chaffinch song before we set off so the listing had begun. As the light improved we added various corvids and pigeons to the list.

The country park in Filey was anything but welcoming when we parked up to meet the others, a howling gale straight in the face and stinging rain. Still we'd managed a dozen or more hardy birders, including several new faces, along with Linda(duckwoman), there was waccoe, birdbot, metcow333 and timmyjones, as well as harden Tyke Meet veterans Mark, Paul, James, Mike, and John.

Very rapidly it was decided that the clifftop wasn't the place to be, so we decamped to the Cobble landing to watch the sea from there. We got a few birds from this viewpoint, red breasted merganser, common scoter and red throated diver to name 3 as well as a cormorant that was managing to stand on the top of a pole in the gale. However the state of the sea meant that it was difficult to stay on any bird for very long as it disappeared in the wave troughs.

Again the decision was made to decamp elsewhere, this time the Forge Valley feeding station, which delightful venue gave us good views of nuthatch and marsh tit as well as great, blue and coal tits along with chaffinches. There was a raptor that flew over here which lead to some debate, there were those who thought it was a kestrel but others who took the view it was bigger than that and may have been a peregrine. I tend towards the latter group as I felt the wings were too long and thin to have been kestrel.

As we were taking up quite a bit of room in the parking area here we again decided to move on, this time to a roadside location to scan for raptors. Luckily there was a lay-by that could handle the number of cars and we were able to keep together. The skies were still leaden and there was intermittent drizzle so after seeing 4 buzzards and numerous crows along with a fly by great spotted woodpecker but not a feather of the target bird we hightailed it to the clearing in Wykeham Forest where a great grey shrike has been seen recently. Another dip here, although some of the group managed to see a small group of crossbills.

The consensus was that the harbour in Scarborough was to be the next port of call. Hopefully to see the resident iceland gull, as well as refueling on a fish and chips.After a time queuing to get into the car park, where I almost ran over 3 turnstones, we for the chippie. Along the way the gull was spotted in flight across the harbour, most of us got a glimpse at this point but it would be nice to get a better view.

After getting our grub and lining up on the harbourside to scoff it, we all concentrated on finding the gull, at first not noticing the seal not far off the harbour side. Another debate ensued later as to whether it was a common or a grey seal. I think common as I saw a distinct dog-like profile but I'm not an expert.

At last the gull was found on the water some way across the harbour. At this point the group split up as some moved around the harbour to get closer to photograph the bird. Before they had got into position though the bird flew off.

As the rest of the group made our way round the edge of the harbour the bird landed on the roof above the photographers so they were soon snapping away. The bird again flew round the harbour and this time came to land on the roof of the boat besides which we were stood. This time almost everyone with a camera was snapping away like billy-o. I did snatch a glance at Ollie's drawing of the bird which looked very good indeed.

A walk along the sea wall near Marine Drive failed to bring to light any more species so again a new location was discussed. With the chance of more gulls at Holbeck Car Park it seem the logical choice for the next stop.

Due to my rubbish navigational skills, although we left the car park first, we were the last to arrive at Holbeck. The winter months usually see a few Med gulls hanging about the car park, and this year was no exception. There were 5 or 6 birds present, ranging from a full adult summer plumage bird down to a first winter plumage bird. All of them suckers for a bit of bread, good on you birdbot for having the loaf with you! Linda picked out a red throated diver at sea, and Mark found another scoter. There was a fly by from a nice male bullfinch, which landed in a bush down the slope from us allowing everyone to get a view.

After everyone had seen enough of the Med gulls the group split up some to head back home whilst the others headed off to Tophill Low to finish the day with a bit of inland birding. The car park at Tophill was excellent value for birding, before I'd bought my permit I'd seen brambling, then afterwards there was great display by a couple of treecreepers which, unusually for them, kept to the trunk and lower branches of the trees. This allowed Paul to get one of the best treecreeper pictures that I've seen in a long while, even in the garbage light of a late winter afternoon.

First port of call from the car park was the visitor centre and a scan around for the woodcock which is viewable from the hide there. No luck for us, although getting the brambling coming in to the feeder was a bonus and allowed you to really take in the colours in the male's plumage. This was curtailed when a female sparrowhawk whipped through the field to take up a place in the willows at the back.
Next up O reservoir, there were some ducks on the water but the wind was whipping across the surface so made watching difficult. Watton hide next and again more ducks, but this time a nice redhead smew, or two. The hide after Watton shall go un-named as I didn't take notice of the signage. However it did yield up shoveler and grey heron to add to the list.

The very last hide we visited was at D reservoir and by now the light was fading fast. One of Tophill's regular birder was in the hide with us and blow me if he didn't locate an iceland gull in amongst the huge flock of gulls on the water. I tried but had to admit defeat, I could see a vague shape that was probably the gull but there's no way I could claim to have recognised it, others in the group were luckier.

By now we were down to just a handful of tired but happy Tykes and I don't think anyone really objected to the decision to head off home at this point. The drive away from the reserve was fun with suicidal red-legged partridges trying to throw themselves under my wheels!
Although the weather initially was abysmal I think the day turned out very well indeed.

Thanks to everyone for making it such a good day for me, hope it was for them.

Oh and Paul, it wasn't a large block of cheese, just a morsel. Talk to Rob about the block I had at Spurn ;).
List to follow when I've whipped it into Vous order.

The List

As usual I've probably missed something so let me know and I'll edit this
  1. red-throated diver
  2. great crested grebe
  3. little grebe
  4. cormorant
  5. little egret
  6. grey heron
  7. mute swan
  8. greylag goose
  9. Canada goose
  10. shelduck
  11. wigeon
  12. gadwall
  13. teal
  14. mallard
  15. shoveler
  16. pochard
  17. tufted duck
  18. common scoter
  19. goldeneye
  20. smew
  21. red-breasted merganser
  22. sparrowhawk
  23. common buzzard
  24. kestrel
  25. peregrine
  26. red-legged partridge
  27. pheasant (seen by Ken)
  28. moorhen
  29. coot
  30. oystercatcher
  31. lapwing
  32. curlew
  33. redshank
  34. turnstone
  35. Mediterranean gull
  36. black-headed gull
  37. lesser black-backed gull
  38. herring gull
  39. Iceland gull
  40. great black-backed gull
  41. common gull
  42. feral pigeon
  43. stock dove
  44. wood pigeon
  45. collared dove
  46. barn owl
  47. great spotted woodpecker
  48. rock pipit
  49. wren
  50. dunnock
  51. robin
  52. blackbird
  53. song thrush
  54. redwing
  55. mistle thrush
  56. long-tailed tit
  57. marsh tit
  58. coal tit
  59. blue tit
  60. great tit
  61. nuthatch
  62. treecreeper
  63. magpie
  64. jackdaw
  65. rook
  66. carrion crow
  67. starling
  68. tree sparrow
  69. chaffinches
  70. brambling
  71. goldfinch
  72. greenfinch
  73. linnet
  74. crossbill
  75. bullfinch

Last edited:
Mstle thrush, dunnock,thnk Mark called rock dove.Oh..arctc redpoll at redhouse!!!!
Just jestng, though check out the bird posted!

Great report Keith and an enjoyable day considering the weather early doors.

Paul - Keith is the only person I know who has his cheese delivered direct from the wholesaler; that was nothing!

Good to meet all the new guys - hope they will come again.

The Iceland gull picked by the local at Tophill was made all the more remarkable by the fact that it was fully dark and that the gull was (allegedly) a good 3 hundred metres away - might have made more of an effort if I hadn't seen one down to fifteen feet earlier in the day!

Looking forward to the next one....

Great report Keith and an enjoyable day considering the weather early doors.

Paul - Keith is the only person I know who has his cheese delivered direct from the wholesaler; that was nothing!

Good to meet all the new guys - hope they will come again.

The Iceland gull picked by the local at Tophill was made all the more remarkable by the fact that it was fully dark and that the gull was (allegedly) a good 3 hundred metres away - might have made more of an effort if I hadn't seen one down to fifteen feet earlier in the day!

Looking forward to the next one....

The Iceland gull at tophill was impossible with 'tarts knocks'! Fair play to the guys who watch the roosts every evening and get onto these birds!

I would also like to welcome the newcomers.....hope I/we made u feel welcome...great to have some youngsters on board..who know more than us old codgers!!!

Last edited:
As usual I've probably missed something so let me know and I'll edit this
  1. red-throated diver
  2. great crested grebe
  3. cormorant
  4. little egret
  5. grey heron
  6. mute swan
  7. greylag goose
  8. Canada goose
  9. shelduck
  10. wigeon
  11. gadwall
  12. teal
  13. mallard
  14. shoveler
  15. pochard
  16. tufted duck
  17. common scoter
  18. goldeneye
  19. smew
  20. red-breasted merganser
  21. sparrowhawk
  22. common buzzard
  23. kestrel
  24. peregrine
  25. red-legged partridge
  26. pheasant (seen by Ken)
  27. moorhen
  28. coot
  29. oystercatcher
  30. lapwing
  31. curlew
  32. redshank
  33. turnstone
  34. Mediterranean gull
  35. black-headed gull
  36. lesser black-backed gull
  37. herring gull
  38. Iceland gull
  39. great black-backed gull
  40. common gull
  41. feral pigeon
  42. stock dove
  43. wood pigeon
  44. collared dove
  45. barn owl
  46. great spotted woodpecker
  47. rock pipit
  48. wren
  49. dunnock
  50. robin
  51. blackbird
  52. song thrush
  53. redwing
  54. mistle thrush
  55. long-tailed tit
  56. marsh tit
  57. coal tit
  58. blue tit
  59. great tit
  60. nuthatch
  61. treecreeper
  62. magpie
  63. jackdaw
  64. rook
  65. carrion crow
  66. starling
  67. chaffinches
  68. brambling
  69. goldfinch
  70. linnet
  71. crossbill
  72. bullfinch

You forgot the 'fly over ' Arctic Redpoll on call only!!

I would also like to welcome the newcomers.....hope I/we made u feel welcome...great to have some youngsters on board..who know more than us old codgers!!!

I know that I'm not one of the well informed youngsters that you refer to but I felt really welcome thanks. It was great meeting all the people I didn't already know.

I'll definitely come again providing i don't have to get out of bed before 5 a.m.

I know that I'm not one of the well informed youngsters that you refer to but I felt really welcome thanks. It was great meeting all the people I didn't already know.

I'll definitely come again providing i don't have to get out of bed before 5 a.m.

sORRY lINDA DIDN'T REALISE IT WAS YOUR FIRST MEET.
Roe deer also seen.

Thanks for that Mike, I didn't see the birds so wasn't sure on species. Just managed to get in before the cut off for editing so looks like we got 75 species for the day, which is amazing as the morning was so crap.

Thanks for that Mike, I didn't see the birds so wasn't sure on species. Just managed to get in before the cut off for editing so looks like we got 75 species for the day, which is amazing as the morning was so crap.

House sparrows seen too...

Keith great report as always....here is a treecreeper pic..high Iso as light poor.not sure if its the one..but hey ho!!

Attachments

• treecreeper3.jpg
    treecreeper3.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 64
great picture Paul - I really must get myself a decent camera and start taking photos. I'd need a lot of practise though

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back