• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

typical birds of rio (1 Viewer)

thomasbarker81

I will be in Rio in a month - can't wait! Could anyone give a list typical birds of city, beach and botanical gardens just so i get to grips with IDing these ones I'm likely to see often.

Thanks tom

I created an eBird bar chart for you that includes the botanical gardens and the Parque Garota de Ipanema, which is on the beach. I also limited the list to birds seen September through November. The amount of data is not robust at this point, but you don't need much data to see what birds are frequently seen! Check the link here:

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?src=...r=1900&eYear=2013&continue.x=42&continue.y=14

Birds seen most frequently are the ones with the most green bars. Click on the "map" icon for locations of sightings, and click on the individual sighting balloons for more information about the sighting.

Hope this helps,
Jim

A couple of the records really might be "incredible". Giant Wood Rail has, to my knowledge, never been recorded in the municipality of Rio de Janeiro, and such a record suggests confusion with Grey-necked, which does (albeit you're more likely to see Slaty-breasted). Unicoloured Blackbird is very rare in the municipality and I'm not sure where you'd find suitable habitat for one anywhere in Ipanema or the JB. I'd head for the Estrada do Redentor (below the Christ statue) and the Parque Arruda Camara (PAC, also known as the Bosque da Barra), if I were you. Plenty to see for a first-timer in Rio in PN Tijuca (where the Christ statue is situated), including Black-cheeked Gnateater, White-necked Hawk, Long-billed Wren and Eye-ringed Tody-Tyrant, as well as many of the birds in the eBird list, while the PAC region is known to have Crested Doradito at times. Boa sorte.

A couple of the records really might be "incredible". Giant Wood Rail has, to my knowledge, never been recorded in the municipality of Rio de Janeiro, and such a record suggests confusion with Grey-necked, which does (albeit you're more likely to see Slaty-breasted). Unicoloured Blackbird is very rare in the municipality and I'm not sure where you'd find suitable habitat for one anywhere in Ipanema or the JB.

Thanks for pointing that out. I know little of Brazilian birds; was just linking to the reports. The way eBird has expanded, the data entry capabilities outside North America have moved faster than the data quality control measures, such as local filters and review by local experts, so a few erroneous reports may creep in, e.g. from visitors who confuse the birds or the names of the locations. Hopefully these errors will be screened out down the road as the quality review in Brazil becomes more robust. In any event, here also is a list of birds found at the Botanical Gardens compiled by a local bird club:

http://www.taxeus.com.br/lista.jsf?c=167

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
The Unicolored Blackbird is in one of my eBird checklists entered long after the fact. I checked my records and I think it is a transcription error as I typed it instead of submitting an Excel file or something similar. I did see Unicolored Blackbirds in Rio's Zona Sul but not at the Botanical Gardens. I saw them at Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, which, in fact, is not that far from the Botanical Gardens. I was staying at the Brazilian Navy's hotel (early November 2000), which is in the west side of the lagoon near Ilha Piraquê. One day, early in the morning, I walked the perimeter and soon after I had started my walk, I flushed a small flock of blackbirds, ~6 or so, from some vegetation on the banks, 2 of them alighted not very far from where they had flushed and I had a good look at them with my binoculars. One I identified as a Unicolored Blackbird in female/immature plumage and the other seemed to me to be an adult male. Besides the plumage of the female-plumaged bird, the beak shape and size also helped in the identification. I had seen this species before, on a trip to the Pantanal in 1986. On a marsh, on the road from Cuiaba to Barao de Melgaco. There were illustrations in Sick's book and photos in Dunning's book which were the references I had used them to prepare myself. On the trip in 2000 I had with me Pena and Rumboll's book, Narosky and Yzurieta's book and color copies of the plates in Ridgely and Tudor. So I felt pretty sure about the ID.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back