• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tyrannides (2 Viewers)

Rafael Dantas Lima, Fernanda Bocalini, Luís Fábio Silveira, Integrative revision of species limits in the genus Schiffornis (Aves: Tityridae) reveals cryptic diversity in the Neotropics, Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2023;, zlad108, Integrative revision of species limits in the genus Schiffornis (Aves: Tityridae) reveals cryptic diversity in the Neotropics

Abstract
Accurate species delimitation is essential for many biological subdisciplines. Nonetheless, current species diversity remains incompletely documented even in well-studied groups such as birds. Here, we take an integrative approach to examine species limits in the genus Schiffornis, a widespread group of dull-plumaged, whistle-voiced suboscine passerines of Neotropical humid-forest understory, currently considered to comprise seven species. We measured geographic variation in song, morphology, and mitochondrial and genome-wide nuclear markers to resolve the taxonomy of the genus. We show that Schiffornis comprises 13 separately evolving population lineages, of which most qualify as species taxa under all species definitions. These include a cryptic new species, several species splits, and the resurrection of a morphologically undifferentiated, but vocally and genetically distinct, taxon that was synonymized nearly a century ago in the Schiffornis turdina complex. We also found several hitherto unnoticed contact zones between diverging lineages and a leapfrog pattern of geographic song variation in the S. turdina complex, and we highlight potential avenues of further research of this genus.

If anyone can get this paper
The new species is named Schiffornis cracrafti

So, for those of us without access, what are the 13 evolving lineages/species of Schiffornis?
Massornis major (Des Murs, 1856) (they place the species in Schiffornis)
Schiffornis aenea Zimmer, 1936
Schiffornis amazonum (Sclater, 1860)
Schiffornis cracrafti Lima, Bocalini & Silveira, 2023
Schiffornis intercedens Todd, 1928
Schiffornis olivacea (Ridgway, 1906)
Schiffornis rosenbergi (Hartert, 1898)
Schiffornis steinbachi Todd, 1928
Schiffornis stenorhyncha (Sclater & Salvin, 1869)
Schiffornis turdina (Wied-Neuwied, 1831)
Schiffornis veraepacis (Sclater & Salvin, 1860)
Schiffornis virescens (Lafresnaye, 1838)
Schiffornis wallacii (Sclater & Salvin, 1867)

I am curious on the SACC proposal for Schiffornis cracrafti. For me it looks merely like a new subspecies of Schiffornis turdina.

Here is somewhat more information

BTW this is the third bird species named after Joel Cracraft:

Amphipelargus cracrafti, Harrison & Walker, 1982
Palaeobyas cracrafti Mourer-Chauviré , 1987

Last edited:
"Massornis major (Des Murs, 1856) (they place the species in Schiffornis)"
Bonaparte 1854 put major as one of the 3 species of Schiffornis.
L'Ateneo Italiano; raccolta di documenti e memorie relative al progresso delle scienze fisiche compilato da S. de Luca e D. Müller .
Hellmayr in 1910 states that major was not published in 1854.
Genera avium - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Oberholser in 1920 put major in Massornis.
v.37 (1920) - The Auk - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
DesMurs used Schiffornis major in 1855-56.
[pt.7] t.1:pt.1;3 (1855) - Expédition dans les parties centrales de l'Amérique du Sud - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Since Schiffornis major cannot be used I reccomend Schiffornis (joeli) as a new name. For Mr. Cracraft.

Last edited:
In 1855 Gray makes Schiffornis major Bonaparte 1853 the type of the genus. Bonaparte 1853 is another publication than the OD which comes from a presentation by Bonaparte in 1853 that was published in May 1854. The OD in the Italian publication was dated August 1854. In the May 1854 publication Schiffornis is nude lacking any species.
Gray: Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Bonaparte May 1854: ser.4:t.1 (1854) - Annales des sciences naturelles - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
In the recent paper they mention Heteropelma rufum Pelzeln, 1868. Zur Ornithologie Brasiliens. [1868-1870] (1871) - Zur Ornithologie Brasiliens - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
I wish that all names in ornithology were named for USA ornithologists but perhaps Schiffornis rufum would be allright?
Maybe not: Sclater calls S. rufa as smaller and questions if it is S. minor Schiff? Vol 14 (1888) - Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Last edited:
Massornis major (Des Murs, 1856) (they place the species in Schiffornis)
Schiffornis aenea Zimmer, 1936
Schiffornis amazonum (Sclater, 1860)
Schiffornis intercedens Todd, 1928
Schiffornis olivacea (Ridgway, 1906)
Schiffornis rosenbergi (Hartert, 1898)
Schiffornis steinbachi Todd, 1928
Schiffornis stenorhyncha (Sclater & Salvin, 1869)
Schiffornis turdina (Wied-Neuwied, 1831)
Schiffornis veraepacis (Sclater & Salvin, 1860)
Schiffornis virescens (Lafresnaye, 1838)
Schiffornis wallacii (Sclater & Salvin, 1867)
What would be the sequence of these species by relationships?

Also, do they recommend an English common name for S. cracrafti?

What would be the sequence of these species by relationships?

Also, do they recommend an English common name for S. cracrafti?

Cladogram from paper attached.

They don't recommend an English name.

The obvious non-honorific English name would be Sucunduri Schiffornis ...though could also go for something more creative -

e.g. Indistinguishable Schiffornis 😆

Attachments

• Lima (2023) Schiffornis.jpg
    Lima (2023) Schiffornis.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 27
I think this is another good example of how (generally not always) useless honorifics are for birders / laymen / English name users. There are a few nice honorifics and it’s not always bad to recognize ornithological contributions. However if we suddenly have a slew of new Schiffornises - which are super cool birds and I fully buy the cryptic diversity as I have noticed tons of regional variation in vocalizations myself - Cracraft’s Schiffornis is just basically meaningless to me and I (personally) don’t really care about another collector or historic figure in ornithology. Give me a geographic or vocalization based descriptor in this group of birds please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back