• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uganda - Feb 2010 (1 Viewer)

Paul Higson

Cracked at work yesterday and booked my flights to Entebbe next February!!

Going to jump in a friends car and spend three weeks pootling around.

If anyone has any hints/tips etc and "secret" sites - they will all be gratefully received. :t:

Cheers,

Paul

Good on you Paul, think you've read my report, so not much extra to add, but if you need directions to any sites, PM me. (Entebbe Sewage Farms, where in Murchinson, etc)

Jos,

All the "local" gen etc will be sorted out by Roger Skeen the guy I am meeting up with, after having visited Mt Elgon, inspired by your report, we shall explore North close to the Kenyan border. Seems odd that quite a number of Kenyan birds apparently refuse to stray across the border into Uganda - maybe they don't have visas??

Could well be some interesting stuff lurking out there.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes.... Visas. Can anyone help me with the definitive need for visasand how to obtain them. The tour operator says one thing, the enbassy says another and inbetween the self-interested travel support company recommended by the tour operator says visas for all and must be gained in advance of travel!

We are two people - one UK and one Spanish - travelling to Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda.

Any guidance gratefully received!!!! Thanks in advance....

Martin

Last edited:
Uganda for one needs a visa for entry before you travel. Think it was about £35-ish and the form easily downloaded from the Ugandan embassy website. My was sent, stamped and returned within a week but remember they're dated from when they receive them and not for dates of travel. They're valid for 3 months so if you're travelling after the end of Feb then don't send it now as it will of run out by then!! Can't say for Rwanda but assume it will be similar....

Ads

Uganda for one needs a visa for entry before you travel. Think it was about £35-ish and the form easily downloaded from the Ugandan embassy website. My was sent, stamped and returned within a week but remember they're dated from when they receive them and not for dates of travel. They're valid for 3 months so if you're travelling after the end of Feb then don't send it now as it will of run out by then!! Can't say for Rwanda but assume it will be similar....

The conditions must have changed recently, I would guess this is why some travel agents are giving conflcting information - the winter before last, I didn't need a visa in advance, nor did the Lithuanian I was travelling with. We simply got it on arrival at Entebbe - $50 dollars if i remember correctly.

I agree Jos but I also know that their prime interest with regards visas is revenue generation and therefore they'll always recommend getting them in advance so that they boost their numbers.

I agree Jos but I also know that their prime interest with regards visas is revenue generation and therefore they'll always recommend getting them in advance so that they boost their numbers.

We went in June this year and this is what we were told was required. Seems pointless to risk not getting one in advance and being refused entry once there...especially for the sake of £35.....

We went in June this year and this is what we were told was required. Seems pointless to risk not getting one in advance and being refused entry once there...especially for the sake of £35.....

Especially given you would actually save nothing - even if you can still get a visa on arrival, you would need to pay at the airport, ie. no saving either way.

If you're in Britain, getting a visa is hassle-free, so I'd certainly avoid any risk by applying early (when I went, there was no uncertainty, it was clear a visa was available at the airport)

Thanks boys but you miss my point - its not the same price. If you live in London it's easy. If not you either post (with the ever present mail strike threat - no thanks) or use an agent, who charges an arm and a leg (£107 for two) ... and that's my point. So, if they can be got on arrival that saves all the agro. Having said all that we'll go for getting them in advance for the security of it... SBM

Especially given you would actually save nothing - even if you can still get a visa on arrival, you would need to pay at the airport, ie. no saving either way.

If you're in Britain, getting a visa is hassle-free, so I'd certainly avoid any risk by applying early (when I went, there was no uncertainty, it was clear a visa was available at the airport)

Last edited:
Aberdeen tomorrow, Amsterdam then Entebbe on Sunday - Yeeeeee Ha!!!!
Shall post on here when I return early March and do a trip report thingy as well.

Thanks to all for their help and info - its been invaluable.

God I am excited....

Cheers,

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back