• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Crustacean? (1 Viewer)

gradders52

Watching Sanderling on Rossall Beach I photographed one feeding, only trouble is I don't know what it found. Wondered if anyone could enlighten me, see photos.

images say as much as I can

thanks
g

Attachments

• err 1.jpeg
    err 1.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 45
  • err 2.jpeg
    err 2.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 42
  • err 3.jpeg
    err 3.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 43
It's known as a Sandhopper. I am sure Google will give you the rest.
Great photo by the way.

Orchestia ?sp, based on the structure of the antennae, is the closest you're going to get without good views of the gnathopods. Talitrus would have a noticably large 3rd antennal segment bent at right angles keeping the antennae pointing downwards, unlike the animal in question.

Chris

THANKS to EVERYONE for replying

I have learnt something new (and try every day)

I've seen the smaller 'grey' sandhoppers but nothing this colour or this size and that threw me

Interestingly went back yesterday and nailed a Turnstone eating similar but more olive green colour (and Sanderling with smaller variety)... more study needed.

THANKS
g

All very interesting 'gradders52'.

Glad you saw it, glad you submitted it, and glad everyone responded to it. Like I said....all very interesting.

Learning something new each and every day.

Interestingly went back yesterday and nailed a Turnstone eating similar but more olive green colour (and Sanderling with smaller variety)... more study needed.

THANKS
g

As there are c300 species in 30 odd genera of gammaridean amphipods (the group Sandhoppers belong to ) + diet can affect colour + they're all tiny buggers ID down to species is a job for the microscope, or good eyes. A very good book for IDing most of the stuff you find on the shore is Hayward + Ryland ; Handbook of the Marine Fauna of North-west Europe. Big and a bit technical, but superb.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back